Using Other People's Reloads

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mrlucky353

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    New Orleans LA
    A trusted friend gave me a box of 45 acp reloads given to him by one of his friends. But I get uncomfortable shooting other people's reloads.

So I took one apart.

The bullet weighed 203 grains, so I'm guessing the owner was trying to make a 200 grain bullet.

The powder weighed 5.9 grains.

I found loading data for a 200 grain cast bullet using Hodgdon Universal powder with a starting charge of 5.8 grains.

The powder in the reloading looked much like Universal Clays powder in size and shape. However the color of the reload powder looked a tad more brownish than Universal Clays powder. (Even if they looked identical to the naked eye, there would still be no certainty that they are the same powder.)

But if they are the same powder, then the 5.9 grain powder charge would indicate that the reloader was being conservative in reloading these rounds.

So I took them to the range, put on all the protective gear I could find, and shot a few. No problems.

Attachments

• IMG_5057.jpg
      IMG_5057.jpg
      46.8 KB · Views: 204
    • IMG_5055.jpg
      IMG_5055.jpg
      51.4 KB · Views: 130

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I do not shoot other peoples reloads nor do I give other people my reloads. If I'm at the range with someone, I may try a couple of theirs, but not many.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I learned from the age of 12 from my dad and took on many of his attributes and habits as well as many of my own. He’s the smelter in the family, not I, although I can cook some good pills if I choose. I’m fanatical about my bench and my loading. I can’t imagine anyone taking more care than I do in every single round I load, always record and label every box with the load data, everything checked and rechecked. That being said, I’ve still had a number of failures over the years. I’ve also had failures using commercial ammo. None have ever been catastrophic, thanks be to Christ. Just little reminders that it can happen at any time with any ammo. It’s the nature of the sport of shooting and the art of reloading and why we take precautions. I have shot quite a few of the reloads my dad and my son have produced, but that’s as far as I will go. I received 3 boxes of Freedom Munitions reman’d 9mm as partial trade and passed them on to someone else. I guess it’s all about who you trust.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I shot somepone else's reloads before I knew better and had to get the bullet out of the barrel a few times so never again.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Everything will be just fine until it ain't.

I would trust 1 friend and that is about the extent of it.

On a rifle I wouldn't swap my own reloads for one rifle to another. Load is not developed or optimized for the second rifle. Odds are it would be safe but not as accurate. So why even bother with a potentially unsafe condition.
    On a handgun loads may not be as critical for accuracy. Again it is a why bother with it from a risk / reward perspective.

According to legend the whole thing is a can of worms. Logically how lucky can you get vs how unlucky can you get as to what the end result could be.

I wouldn't want my reloads out there, at random.

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I have seen too many threads on the internet asking silly questions to shoot anyone else's Reloads!
    I do have my stuff plainly marked. My wife and sons shoot mine. sometimes my brother when he goes with me.

Mrlucky353

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    New Orleans LA
    I sometimes shoot some of my late father in law’s reloads, but the hair on my neck stands up nonetheless.

Thanks to all for the replies.

As a follow up, I did shoot the remaining box of 50.
    It was a relatively mild load, and pretty accurate.

Nonetheless, as John says, the hair on the back of my neck was up the whole time.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    ^and if the hair on the back of your neck was up they weren't worth shooting. A $20 box of ammo isn't worth risking a trip to the ER, a ruined gun, or worse.

There was a thread on here (I believe) about a revolver charge that was short on a low volume powder with no filler. The powder flowed forward and leveled out under the flash hole. When it was fired it detonated the whole charge at once. The explosion ripped the top half of the revolver off, turning it into shrapnel.

No thanks...

kbownds

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2017
    Lubbock, Texas
    This is why I label all of my reloads. I put all pertinent info on the label. Powder, load wt, bullet & weight, and my name and number so they can call me if needed and only give to people I know. BUT I am always careful when using someones loads. Using unknown loads is like going to a "swinging party" in the 70's and getting a hand full of mystery pills from the bowl. One of them could KILL you.

frhunter13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2018
    New Orleans
    My reloads are for the chamber I am shooting and none other. Mostly because I neck size only in many cases. However if I make ammo for someone else - all is per book less than max and previously shot by me to verify velocity and pass case checks - with a standard case.

So if you accept someone else's reloads they should be discussed with him/her before shooting them. If for example they claim a velocity exceeding what is reasonable, I would want much discussion and to verify the load.

Mrlucky353

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    New Orleans LA
    BUT I am always careful when using someones loads. Using unknown loads is like going to a "swinging party" in the 70's and getting a hand full of mystery pills from the bowl. One of them could KILL you.

Good analogy, kbownds.

In both instances, there is a risk of going out with a bang.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    This is why I label all of my reloads. I put all pertinent info on the label. Powder, load wt, bullet & weight, and my name and number so they can call me if needed and only give to people I know. BUT I am always careful when using someones loads. Using unknown loads is like going to a "swinging party" in the 70's and getting a hand full of mystery pills from the bowl. One of them could KILL you.
    awesome analogy, and good for a long belly laugh!

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I sometimes shoot some of my late father in law’s reloads, but the hair on my neck stands up nonetheless.

I shoot them as a remembrance. We hunted together for decades. Probably not a good enough reason, but that’s my story. I’d have to have a similarly long history to shoot someone else’s.

jimdanos

Silver Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Lafourche Parish
    I roll my own except for 22lr. If I didn't load it, I ain't shooting it.

Top Bottom