New owner of an m14, experts welcome to comment

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    So I recently acquired an m14.
    And am learing that it's a match rifle.

From Arms Corp of Baltimore, which I found out isnt the same company as armscor of the Phillipines

The m14/M1a haven't really been my kinda gun but I'm really taking a liking to this one.

The rifle is glass bedded and from my understanding that means the rifle itself has to actually be worth being bedded to justify the effort.

Now to the next part. My experience with these rifles is slim to none. I had taken it to the range last week and it grouped very well without having to rezero...even with monarch ammo.

If there's anything you guys can help me learn regarding these rifles then I'm all ears

I'm also realizing that I'm going to need a shooting range that goes way beyond 100 yards...

Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    Technically

But I think that's only what Springfield calls it

Everyone else who manufactures them still calls them m14 it seems.

Mine is stamped US rifle M14

MALIBU12

Rating - 100%
    71   0   2
    Sep 16, 2008
    slidell
    Fun switch = M14
    No fun switch = M1A

Just like m16 / Ar15.

And the fact that an M14 will set you back about
    $20,000.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    So I recently acquired an m14.
    And am learing that it's a match rifle.

From Arms Corp of Baltimore, which I found out isnt the same company as armscor of the Phillipines

The m14/M1a haven't really been my kinda gun but I'm really taking a liking to this one.

The rifle is glass bedded and from my understanding that means the rifle itself has to actually be worth being bedded to justify the effort.

Now to the next part. My experience with these rifles is slim to none. I had taken it to the range last week and it grouped very well without having to rezero...even with monarch ammo.

If there's anything you guys can help me learn regarding these rifles then I'm all ears

I'm also realizing that I'm going to need a shooting range that goes way beyond 100 yards...

M-14.com has all and any info you may need.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    For the purest, the M14 will always be the US produced military rifle that in certain configurations can be capable of full auto fire. M1A is the registered trademark for the semi-auto version of the M14 rifle, as produced by the commercial company Springfield Armory, not to be confused with the US Government Springfield Armory which closed. All other semi-auto rifles that look like an M14 can be said to be M1A-like or M14-like, but in practical terms a lot of people call everything an M1A, kind of like people call all tissue papers Kleenex.

Each of my Armscorp M1A-like rifles is marked on the heel "US RIFLE 7.62MM M14 NM" so I just call it an M14, says so right on the rifle. And since it's my rifle I can call it whatever I want. I certainly don't want to call it an M1A because it isn't made by Springfield Armory and they are kind of particular about their trademark.

The Armscorp rifles were mostly sold as receivers to be built into rifles and most have US GI parts. Fine shooters as a rule and lots of fun. For more info on wringing the best from your rifle go to https://m14forum.com/

Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    For the purest, the M14 will always be the US produced military rifle that in certain configurations can be capable of full auto fire. M1A is the registered trademark for the semi-auto version of the M14 rifle, as produced by the commercial company Springfield Armory, not to be confused with the US Government Springfield Armory which closed. All other semi-auto rifles that look like an M14 can be said to be M1A-like or M14-like, but in practical terms a lot of people call everything an M1A, kind of like people call all tissue papers Kleenex.

Each of my Armscorp M1A-like rifles is marked on the heel "US RIFLE 7.62MM M14 NM" so I just call it an M14, says so right on the rifle. And since it's my rifle I can call it whatever I want. I certainly don't want to call it an M1A because it isn't made by Springfield Armory and they are kind of particular about their trademark.

The Armscorp rifles were mostly sold as receivers to be built into rifles and most have US GI parts. Fine shooters as a rule and lots of fun. For more info on wringing the best from your rifle go to https://m14forum.com/

How do your armscorp rifles shoot?

Mine shoots pretty good and from what I can tell the bolt is TRW but Im not sure what other GI parts mine has

Blaize

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 6, 2016
    Saint amant
    Mr. Wilson, does your rifle happen to have a crazy camo looking paint job on the stock? I ask because i had an armscorp like that and sold it a while back. It was a shooter for sure, and probably one i shouldnt have let go!

Stock2600

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Sgt

Being a former Marine, Expert with the M14 and also owner of a M1A1 (not to be confused with a M1Garand) I would like to clarify a couple of points in the responses. The standard M14 used by the Corps is not a fully automatic rifle, you need to have a "selector" installed and to do so you will also need the correct stock or cut a notch in the standard stock to accommodate said selector. An M14 / M1A1 using 147/150 grain ammunition will easily hit a 20" bullseye at 500 meters. I used 168grain Lake City in the Corps and special loaded 125grain which runs at 3200 sea level for longer shots (800 to 1200) with less drop.

The standard qualification required of a Marine using an M14 was at the 200/300 & 500 yard lines using iron sights and a 6 O'clock sight picture, no holdovers. So, zero (X elevation and minimal or no windage) at 50 which will put you on at 200 or zero at 100 and you will be on at 300, For actual shooting you will need to better understand your elevation and windage adjustments, mine for 500 are usually 9 to 11 clicks of elevation and windage depends on environmental issues. Keep a dope book so you can see where you have been and calculate where you want to go. Enjoy!

Sound off with any additions or corrections.

USMC Sgt and AZ Ranger

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    How do your armscorp rifles shoot?

Mine shoots pretty good and from what I can tell the bolt is TRW but Im not sure what other GI parts mine has

They do well. I was shooting on the National Guard Rifle Team when I built up my first Armscorp, so I built it the same as the full match M14 that the government was loaning me, including the glass bedding, trigger and gas system modifications. Once I built it and tested (it shoots better than I can) I put it away and continued to shoot the government M14. About the time the M14's had to be turned in I switched over to shooting an Armalite AR15 in competition so the Armscorp saw very little service, but I enjoyed it so much as a plinker that when I sold some leave after coming back from Iraq I built another Armscorp up, not because I really needed one but because I wanted a couple to give to two children (eventually).

Both rifles have heavy barrels and I've also got a couple of spare stocks. Beware, these can be addictive.

DSC_0331.jpg DSC_0179.jpg DSC_0165.jpg

Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    They do well. I was shooting on the National Guard Rifle Team when I built up my first Armscorp, so I built it the same as the full match M14 that the government was loaning me, including the glass bedding, trigger and gas system modifications. Once I built it and tested (it shoots better than I can) I put it away and continued to shoot the government M14. About the time the M14's had to be turned in I switched over to shooting an Armalite AR15 in competition so the Armscorp saw very little service, but I enjoyed it so much as a plinker that when I sold some leave after coming back from Iraq I built another Armscorp up, not because I really needed one but because I wanted a couple to give to two children (eventually).

Both rifles have heavy barrels and I've also got a couple of spare stocks. Beware, these can be addictive.

View attachment 78987 View attachment 78988 View attachment 78989

Oh that is awesome.
    I can't wait to shoot long range.

The only place I learned about recently that doesn't require a membership is in cutoff.

frhunter13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2018
    New Orleans
    The M1A receiver does not have the extension on the rear to operated the full auto selector. So, the receivers are actually different. The M14 has the extension, so whether or not it is full auto, it can be made full auto. The M1A cannot.

Last edited:

enigmedic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Sep 14, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Wrong. Dead wrong. The man came here seeking help, not a brow-beating or to be led astray with incorrect ********. I noticed the post ended there with no usable knowledge or information.
    The Springfield T44 rifle was designated the "M14" by the United States Department of Defense, and DOD alone used that nomenclature. Other countries who purchased T44s opted for their own nomenclature, and the guns were accordingly marked.
    The M1A designation was used only by Springfield Armory Incorporated, the private company, as they had to choose something other than M14 and the letter A made the most convenient transition from the number 4 for tooling and marking purposes.
    To refer to a rifle as an M1A indicates that it is manufactured by Springfield Armory Incorporated ONLY. They manufactured both semi and select fire rifles, both with the same marking and designation. In other words, there are select fire M1A rifles.
    Other manufacturers such as LRB, Armscor, SEI all use different designations for their guns, most of which include M14 in their name. Since M1A is trademarked, it is only found on Springfield Armory Incorporated products.
    At one time, Springfield Armory was the sole supplier of Title 1 civilian M14 platforms, hence people referring to all semi-autos as M1A's, as they were the only producers of semi-auto M14 platform and at that time that was a proper designation.
    More often than not, you will hear armchair experts referring to them as M1A1's, which is totally off the charts. The DOD M1A1 Small Arms designation applies only to an M1 paratrooper when referring to carbines. Otherwise it refers to the M1A1 Thompson when referring to submachine guns.
    With gun snobbery out the way, there are very few platforms that I got as heavily invested in as the M14. Parts and tools are becoming scarce, and those that are available have become quite pricey. If I can help with any technical data or loaning tools please, by all means, contact me. It cost me a substantial amount of time and money to learn the M14. I was fortunate enough to have many fellow shooters, some of them from this site, aide me in learning the rifle and steering clear of the many pitfalls.
    It is an excellent platform, evident by a long service time with Naval special Warfare and it's resurrection by other services during gwot. Learning it's capabilities and intricacies was just as much fun as shooting, and substantially cheaper.
    Fortunately there is a great deal of reference and resource material available, enjoy your rifle and welcome to the cult following of this nation's last wood and steel Warrior.

enigmedic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Sep 14, 2010
    New Orleans area
    You have a M1A , not an M14. M14 is the fully automatic version of the M1A.

Wrong. Dead wrong. The man came here seeking help, not a brow-beating or to be led astray with incorrect ********. I noticed the post ended there with no usable knowledge or information.
    The Springfield T44 rifle was designated the "M14" by the United States Department of Defense, and DOD alone used that nomenclature. Other countries who purchased T44s opted for their own nomenclature, and the guns were accordingly marked.
    The M1A designation was used only by Springfield Armory Incorporated, the private company, as they had to choose something other than M14 and the letter A made the most convenient transition from the number 4 for tooling and marking purposes.
    To refer to a rifle as an M1A indicates that it is manufactured by Springfield Armory Incorporated ONLY. They manufactured both semi and select fire rifles, both with the same marking and designation. In other words, there are select fire M1A rifles.
    Other manufacturers such as LRB, Armscor, SEI all use different designations for their guns, most of which include M14 in their name. Since M1A is trademarked, it is only found on Springfield Armory Incorporated products.
    At one time, Springfield Armory was the sole supplier of Title 1 civilian M14 platforms, hence people referring to all semi-autos as M1A's, as they were the only producers of semi-auto M14 platform and at that time that was a proper designation.
    More often than not, you will hear armchair experts referring to them as M1A1's, which is totally off the charts. The DOD M1A1 Small Arms designation applies only to an M1 paratrooper when referring to carbines. Otherwise it refers to the M1A1 Thompson when referring to submachine guns.
    With gun snobbery out the way, there are very few platforms that I got as heavily invested in as the M14. Parts and tools are becoming scarce, and those that are available have become quite pricey. If I can help with any technical data or loaning tools please, by all means, contact me. It cost me a substantial amount of time and money to learn the M14. I was fortunate enough to have many fellow shooters, some of them from this site, aide me in learning the rifle and steering clear of the many pitfalls.
    It is an excellent platform, evident by a long service time with Naval special Warfare and it's resurrection by other services during gwot. Learning it's capabilities and intricacies was just as much fun as shooting, and substantially cheaper.
    Fortunately there is a great deal of reference and resource material available, enjoy your rifle and welcome to the cult following of this nation's last wood and steel Warrior.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA

Damn, that's awesome. I have a Norinco M14(305S), that I might want to do a bit to, too get some more out of...

And Chris, MCTA is supposed to be getting a 350 yard lane soon... Also if you wanna drive to cutoff when I get back I would love to bring my Norinco along and the AR-10... Oh and the Swiss K31... actually quite a few I would love to shoot at range lol.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Apple cider vinegarOTR
    Top Bottom