How Many Times Will You Reload Pistol Brass

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mrlucky353

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    New Orleans LA
    A friend whom I respect says he will only reload once fired pistol brass.

I've reloaded my 40 S&W pistol brass with light loads several times and with no problems (so far). I do inspect each round before labeling and boxing them up.

So how many times is too many?

Last edited:

Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX
    If the loads are for recreational/plinking, I load them till the neck splits, the primer gets loose in the pocket or I lose them! Most fall into the last catagory!

I would probably use brass that had been fired a "known" number of times for competition although I don't shoot that anymore or in the case of self defense I only use factory loads.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    38-357, 44spl- 44 Mag, 45Colt till it splits. I have 38 and 357 as 45 I do the same or gets lost. Some is old midway nickel with the nickel worn off. Military 45acp from the 70's Now 9mm is funny till ya see one bulged. I hand I inspect. The rifle is a whole other ball game

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    New Nickel Cases Split after 2-3 loading as the EPA has changed the plating process. The old nickel brass is really good stuff! It will last past the finish being has worn off.
    I have a friend who does plating for a living. He can no longer use the materials he used to.
    If I was you I would take all the brass he discards and inspect it
    As said Rifle gets head separations, Buldge cases, a whole slew of things.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    If it splits, or the primer falls out, I throw it away.

Honestly, I just dump them all in buckets, so I've no idea how many times I can load them. I'd wager most of them will load dozens of times.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Sherman, set the wayback machine to 1971. That's when Dad and I started reloading 38 Special & 30-30 followed quickly by 30 Carbine, 30-06, 303, and 45 ACP (things went up geometrically after that). I had a friend that also reloaded 45, but would only reload them once. When he fired factory rounds, he would take a three corner file and cut a notch in the rim and reload. Any fired cases that already had the notch he would throw away. After I started picking up his "trash" brass he started giving it to me. I'm still using some of his brass, no telling how many times they have been reloaded!

Inspect and if there is no sign of failure, reload! As stated, watch for splits, worn primer pockets (gas leakage), or badly bulged. Rifle cases take a closer look, watch for a ring around the case just in front of the case head, this can cause a case seperation.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    There are far too many factors to consider for there to be a "standard" answer to the question by the OP. Individual firearm, load level, cartridge type, quality of brass being used, end usage of the ammo, even reloading die tolerances and loading techniques, all have an effect. The advice given above..."until I see a split or crack" is as good as any and is the position I take when considering how many times I reload a case. I have some 22 Hornet brass that I load for a Contender handgun that has over 20 loads on them and they're still going strong. I have also had some 357 Mag brass fail after the 3rd loading (case mouth splits). I've had 223 cases fail on the first firing....these were shoulder and neck splits. According to some published info, brass fired in a semi-auto handgun with an unsupported chamber shouldn't be reloaded at all after the first firing. So there is no one standard to adhere to when it comes to how many times you should reload a cartridge case.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Only handgun ammo worth my time to reload is 44mag. As stated previously, inspect for issues and load away. Resizing and trimming, deburring, etc, heck, even cleaning can all cause wear and tear on casings too. Thin spots and stress areas that may or may not show when you seat the bullet, but may indeed reveal upon firing.

103M 95G

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Westbank
    Rifle brass 3~5 times depending
    Most straight wall pistol brass can be loaded numerous times.
    I remember reading an article where a single piece of .38 spa brass was loaded 140 times before the neck finally split

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I will load 38's till the neck splits, been using the same 38 cases for years. 45's till I can't read the head stamp or they don't fit in the shell plate/holder. 40's 4-5 times, 357's usually split after 3-4 hot loads. Pretty much if they fit in the case gauge, the head stamp and web are in good shape I use them.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    i got to the point that i only blew debris off of my .44mag pin competition brass . mid power, heavy boolit. i inspected before and after sizing. no clue how many loads each piece had go thru it.

Cowboy55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2018
    Baton Rouge LA
    I reload pistol cases for as long as they last; could be 2 or 10 times depending. And I always measure the cases after 4-5 reloads, because the brass will stretch. I also deburr the primer holes and chamfer inside the case mouths, to prevent shaving lead bullets.

If you're into precision shooting, you should get these books from Zediker Publishing: Handloading for Competition and Top-Grade Ammo.http://zediker.com/ Glen Zediker is a rifle competitor and columnist for one of the gun magazines. The books focus on rifle reloading but have lots of great info for pistol shooters too.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    I just sized some .45 ACP's & spotted one headstamp "RA 41". Made by Remington in 1941, I wonder how many times it been reloaded! It passed inspection and is in the stainless pin tumbler getting ready to loaded again.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    I reload all handgun brass untill it splits, cracks , the primer pocket gets loose or it gets lost at the range. .
    Typically low pressure revolver rounds do not get punished when fired. High pressure magnum loads get some punishment and it depends on the load how long they will last. I reloaded some insanely hot 357 magnum twice........then the primers would fall out ! Target 38 special loads = 50 reloads.
    Semi auto gets beaten up by the gun and bouncing off the floor....45 acp can go 25 times or more....higher pressure loads = shorter case life.
    If you reload brass once and toss it....my Daddy would say " He's got more money than sense . "
    Gary

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Till it splits or wont hold a primer anymore

Yep.
    One key factor to straight walled handgun brass is not over-flaring the neck prior to bullet insert insertion. Set your die so that it only sets enough flare not to shave the bullet. After you've done that it'll almost always be the loose primer pocket that retires the brass.

alcapone396

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    Louisiana
    I'll load straight wall pistol brass until the case either splits or the primer pockets become too loose! I've gotten over 15 reloadings on some .38 special brass and still using it!

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    If it splits, or the primer falls out, I throw it away.

Honestly, I just dump them all in buckets, so I've no idea how many times I can load them. I'd wager most of them will load dozens of times.

This is how I feel also....

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom