Recommendations for round for .300 Win Mag

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    My son just got a Browning X Bolt Stalker and is looking for recommendations on a round for White Tail Deer . Most shots will be several hundred yards minimum .

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Whatever you decide on make sure it is a bonded bullet. I shoot Nosler throphy accubond rounds on my .270WSM (Browning X Bolt). There is also a break in procedure described in the manual for an X bolt, I followed it and have no issue taking a 350 yard shot on the right deer.

Ben Karns

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 2, 2017
    Covington, LA
    Whatever you decide on make sure it is a bonded bullet. I shoot Nosler throphy accubond rounds on my .270WSM (Browning X Bolt). There is also a break in procedure described in the manual for an X bolt, I followed it and have no issue taking a 350 yard shot on the right deer.
    Why does it have to be a bonded bullet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Dan, Find the most accurate commercial load for that rifle and go with it. I’d recommend Hornady for a good start.
    It’s a 300 win mag, is it not? I’m quite certain the bullet will get to range with plenty of kill power. He’s just got to be able to hit the mark. Some like a 180 grain bullet, even for longer ranges, and some like a 150. There are other loads available but not as easy to come by. Hornady’s Super Performance line should give you the best bang for the bucks (forgive the pun) and they come in some very decent bullet choices.
    Unless he’s up to handloading something superior, my money is on these:

3a7a2f4ad76c880f42094f6e89d84018.png

Last edited:

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Bonded bullets have better retention and expansion in most cases esppecialy in magnum loads. Bullets such as Winchester ballistic tips will shatter on impact in magnum loads as they do not respond well to velocities over 3000fps. I have personally seen this several times and there is a ton of info on this. This has been confirmed by myself and several other hunters I am close to along with ballistics testing. I'm sure some will disagree with me but ohh well. I have never lost an animal to a bonded bullet. If you like meat stay away from 180 grain bullets as mentioned above for whitetail deer, 150 grain is as big as I would shoot for that game. Interlock or interbond Hornady bullets are great though.

Why does it have to be a bonded bullet?

Last edited:

Ben Karns

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 2, 2017
    Covington, LA
    Bonded bullets have better retention and expansion in most cases esppecialy in magnum loads. Bullets such as Winchester ballistic tips will shatter on impact in magnum loads as they do not respond well to velocities over 3000fps. I have personally seen this several times and there is a ton of info on this. This has been confirmed by myself and several other hunters I am close to along with ballistics testing. I'm sure some will disagree with me but ohh well. I have never lost an animal to a bonded bullet. If you like meat stay away from 180 grain bullets as mentioned above for whitetail deer, 150 grain is as big as I would shoot for that game. Interlock or interbond Hornady bullets are great though.
    Yes bonded is great for large game with thick hides at longer distances because that bullets needs to penetrate deep and possibly break bone. But for whitetail you want a bullet that loses all its weight and dumps all energy into the soft skin animal immediately causing massive hyperstatic shock and hemorrhaging.

Bonded bullets are not ideal for soft skins animals like whitetail. For whitetail I'd recommend bullets designed to fragment quickly like Berger VLD or hornday SST.

At the end of the day both bullets will kill anything at 100 yds, find what your rifle likes and shoot to build confidence in taking the shot and ethically harvesting.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Lots of good points, but sticking to to OP’s stated use, deer hunting at several hundred yards, he will want the most stable and most accurate bullet in that rifle. I doubt there will be any concern with wasted meat at that range more or less between the bullet weight spectrum and as far as fragmentation etc, I can guarantee the 3000fps issue will not be a factor at near the range mentioned. As the Hornady ad states, several bullet types and faster out of the bore than most others, which will make a difference down range. The heavier load gets my vote for the long shot due to generally being more stable and hitting harder on the long shot. But as stated, every other factor falls after accuracy.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Magdump, has a good point the rifle will like one round better than the others so do some testing and get some range time with some different rounds.

Ya'll sure making it rough on a fellow . :D Heavy bullet , light bullet , bonded , not bonded ….

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom