.45 ACP handgun suggestions...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    I'm looking to add another .45 to the collection and curious to hear some suggestions and opinions here on Bayou Shooter. My current .45 handguns are a couple of 1911s and a Sig P220 Combat. I'll most likely not get another 1911, so what are your favorite .45s? What's something that maybe I've overlooked and you think I should consider? I collect 3rd gen S&W pistols, but actually do not have one chambered in .45 ACP, so maybe I'll look for one of those models. No Glock or Taurus suggestions please. Thanks.

Last edited:

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    I own several 1911's but my most accurate and the one I enjoy shooting the most is a 45 acp revolver.
    I would suggest , for a completely different shooting experience a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible in 45 acp / 45 Colt.
    The 45 Colt can be loaded for deer / hog hunting and the 45 acp just for the range and tin can shooting.
    The 4 5/8 inch barrel is my favorite.
    And as jimdanos has suggested the S&W model 625 is the one for double action mode.

But you know shooting the old Single Action Blackhawk is just plain fun...sort of like driving around town in a classic 1960's era muscle car ...FUN !!

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Ditto on the revolver. Some years back I had a Brazilian contract Smith & Wesson M&P revolver in .45 ACP, and it was an absolute hoot to shoot. I traded it to a friend that was Jonesing hard for it, and he gave me an XD-S in .45 ACP. The XD-S turned out to be the worst gun I ever owned, and I promptly got rid of in a partial trade for a Colt 1911.

I'm also becoming a huge fan of Ruger revolvers. Haven't shot one in .45 ACP yet, but if it's anything like my loooooooong barrel Super Blackhawk in .44 magnum, then it'll provide a lifetime of reliable shooting pleasure.

The M&P 45 (the modern-day polymer M&P, that is) is also a safe bet. My nearly-stock full-sized 9mm M&P is my go-to competition gun, and is probably what I'd pick if I didn't want a wheel gun.

Mike

EightySix

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Check out the Sar k2 45. If you can find one. I think they are no longer imported. I love mine, very accurate. It has adjustable rear sight and high capacity. It is on the heavy side though.
    Not many bad reviews on it. Paid under $400

Last edited:

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    That Arsenal double 1911 .45 looks cool. Saw it on Gun Deals for $3995. Two for one. Can’t beat that.

JSNH

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Prairieville
    I too suggest a .45acp revolver.
    I love my Blackhawk convertible with 4 5/8* barrel. I have never once thought about parting with it. I also enjoy my 625.
    But for me, if I were adding a new pistol to my collection, I’d find a s&w 4506.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Since you dont have one, you need a 4506. I find mine to be more accurate than most 1911s. And heavier, and bigger!!

Maybe that heizer doubke tap in 45, pretty weird.

If you can find a cz97, or an eaa witness is 45.

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Thanks, y'all. All great suggestions. I've actually never owned an FNX or an HK, so those are definitely on the short list. I'll probably end up adding a 4506 to my 3rd gen collection, then picking up another M&P, and then see where it goes from there!

Grandpa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2014
    New Orleans
    Check out the FNX tactical, and the HK USP 45. Awesome big bore guns

I have a FNX Tactical, fine gun. My favorite is my HK 45 Compact Tactical. This is a different pistol than the HK USP Compact Tactical. I love both of these 2 pistols. Both have a threaded barrel for a suppressor. I usually fire 230 grain subsonic ammo. I don't have any data to support it but I think the slower burning subsonic powder is a bit easier on the hand. The HK is my carry gun. The downside of both these pistols is the limited selection of holsters.

I also have a S & W 457. I bought the S & W from my son. He didn't like it and was going to trade it in for $200. I just couldn't see letting it go for that cheap. So I bought it from him and will ultimately give it back to him. This pistol is also holster limited. I do not have a holster for this pistol and only 1 magazines. It is kept loaded and is my "in the safe" gun.

I also have a question. Does keeping the magazines loaded have any affect on longevity vs. keeping them unloaded?

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I also have a question. Does keeping the magazines loaded have any affect on longevity vs. keeping them unloaded?

Keeping the magazine loaded does weaken the spring over time. There are all sorts of arguments about this (largely by people that don't have much empirical data), but when I've asked knowledgeable people that I respect the best answer I've received is that it's OK to keep a magazine loaded, but it's also beneficial to unload it periodically and let the spring "relax" back into its extended position.

And anecdotally ... I have a gen2 Glock 17 (with a period-correct mid-1990's gen2 17 round magazine) that I recently overhauled with new springs. The old magazine spring was about an inch shorter than the new (Glock factory) magazine spring ... so the spring had clearly lost some of its potency over time.

If you want to keep the gun in a "ready" state, then it might be worthwhile to dig up a second magazine for it. Keep one loaded and one unloaded, and periodically swap magazines. S&W 427 magazines aren't particularly common, but they do pop up on online auction sites and at gun shows.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John1994
    Top Bottom