Who Has An Optical Sight On a Handgun?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    I'm the worst with pistol iron sights.

I have this tendency to always try to keep the target just above the front post (I zero my rifles this way)

But factory zeroes for handguns tend to require covering the target.

Anyways after mounting a vortex viper on my H&K I rarely miss at 25 now and it feels like I'm no longer wasting ammo into the dirt

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    It’s no secret I like red dots on pistols, I have an aimpoint h2 on one of my guns. With my rmr’s I’m quicker with follow up shots and distance shots. I can group about the same at closer distances

gemihur

Newbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2018
    Roanoke, VA
    optics on handgun

I don't know if this is what you had in mind
    but I recommend that you use TWO hands

Attachments

• Fajen Big Shot furniture.jpg
      Fajen Big Shot furniture.jpg
      238.9 KB · Views: 81

jimmyhat1978

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2018
    baku
    I run a Vortex Viper RMR on my G 34 for steel plate, and have a buckmark with a Viper RMR for Steel plate practice with cheap 22 ammo. I am debating putting a Trijicon RMR on a 19 for concealed carry.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    If you're drawing from concealment, moving the clothing out of the way should be part of training. Generally speaking, if there's room for the weapon to clear, there's room for the red dot to clear. There are no sharp points on red dots to catch and the red dot does not stick out very far from the weapon. Most red dots have a rounded hood and/or rounded corners. Also, the surface area of the back of the slide is usually as big or bigger than the surface area of the part of the red dot that may be of concern. Snagging the red dot should be a non-issue with the training to effectively draw a weapon without a red dot.

The draw with a good red dot should take no more time than the draw without one. The red dot should either be on already or have an auto-on feature. Battery life is also a non-issue with the proper maintenance, i.e., changing the batteries regularly on a schedule once you learn the run time of the red dot.

But the proper training should lead to the shooter being able to hit close enough to center mass without needing the sights or a red dot. Once someone has trained enough, they should be able to draw and, using muscle memory, aim such that the sights/red dot are almost lined up right where they want it. Since most self-defense incidents occur within about 10 feet, proper training should also include drawing as you take a half a step back to create a little more room to draw and shooting effectively from the hip. Obviously, no sights or red dot will help you there either.

One of the few situations where you may have time to spend that second or less lining up the best shot would be an active shooter situation where you are not in immediate danger. Because that may be a longer shot (25 feet or more), a red dot and the proper training can only help you.
    all good arguments, just not for me. If it was open carry in a holster designed for the pistol as equipped I could see it. But I don’t recall ever seeing a cop carry their sidearm so equipped.
    Snub nosed revolvers are a favorite for concealed carry by a few people. Some of those have very small hammers that even experienced shooters prefer to have bobbed for the simple reason that they are just a bit of something sticking out from the weapon and do indeed have the tendency to snag on anything remotely in the way on the draw. Even squared off edges and sharp corners on a handgun can slow the draw. Anything that demands special care on the draw will slow me down. The reason I wouldn’t carry an auto with a big honking rear adjustable target sight. I don’t see Red dot sights on concealed carry weapons ever becoming a trend. Not saying it can’t be done, just that most people know it shouldn’t.

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    I have two Vipers, one on this M&P 9L and one on a Glock 19. I saw a Shield with a reflex red dot for concealed carry but not something I would consider doing.

z32ba2tv4rymw4lnvw.jpg

aqqm8zvyiqpo8zitzxx.jpg

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    all good arguments, just not for me. If it was open carry in a holster designed for the pistol as equipped I could see it. But I don’t recall ever seeing a cop carry their sidearm so equipped.
    Snub nosed revolvers are a favorite for concealed carry by a few people. Some of those have very small hammers that even experienced shooters prefer to have bobbed for the simple reason that they are just a bit of something sticking out from the weapon and do indeed have the tendency to snag on anything remotely in the way on the draw. Even squared off edges and sharp corners on a handgun can slow the draw. Anything that demands special care on the draw will slow me down. The reason I wouldn’t carry an auto with a big honking rear adjustable target sight. I don’t see Red dot sights on concealed carry weapons ever becoming a trend. Not saying it can’t be done, just that most people know it shouldn’t.

Most cops use department issued weapons governed by departmental policy and are usually not allowed to modify the weapons for liability reasons. Their departments may even regulate their personally owned backup weapons. Milling the slide is a NoGo for the state or city owned property and I don't recall ever seeing a Glock MOS issued. Even if a cop wanted to carry a red dot, it's likely not an option.

Hammers are generally pointy. It's easy to see how the pointy hammer would be more likely to get caught up on clothing than a rounded red dot.

gemihur

Newbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2018
    Roanoke, VA
    optics on handgun (contender)

:)

Attachments

• Grendel and Herrett.jpg
      Grendel and Herrett.jpg
      219.5 KB · Views: 68
    Last edited:

gemihur

Newbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2018
    Roanoke, VA
    optics on handgun (contender)

I've got the 6.8 in a 23" barrel but my 17" 6.5 Grendel barrel gets all the fieldwork.
    I was still finishing the forearm when photo was taken.
    Grendel and Herrett.jpg

Last edited:

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    After suffering detached retina's in both eyes , the natural lens had to be removed in both so the retinas could be reattached surgically . An implanted lens wasn't possible so I was left blind in my right eye and with tri-focal glasses for my remaining left. This ended my pistol shooting days.
    With tri-focal glasses you can not use iron sights any longer.
    A Millet SP-1 red dot on a Ruger MKII let me shoot again and actually hit things and shoot small groups again.
    I mounted another Millet on a Model 64 S&W 38 Special for target shooting and my next goal is to get one of the small Burris Fast Fires mounted on a 1911 45acp .
    I like the optics because they enable me to keep shooting....nothing else except 20 year old eyes works as well.
    Gary

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    After suffering detached retina's in both eyes , the natural lens had to be removed in both so the retinas could be reattached surgically . An implanted lens wasn't possible so I was left blind in my right eye and with tri-focal glasses for my remaining left. This ended my pistol shooting days.
    With tri-focal glasses you can not use iron sights any longer.
    A Millet SP-1 red dot on a Ruger MKII let me shoot again and actually hit things and shoot small groups again.
    I mounted another Millet on a Model 64 S&W 38 Special for target shooting and my next goal is to get one of the small Burris Fast Fires mounted on a 1911 45acp .
    I like the optics because they enable me to keep shooting....nothing else except 20 year old eyes works as well.
    Gary

Best reason yet. For the pure love of shooting.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

GearFondler

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    Pearl River, LA
    Ten years from now it will be odd to see a pistol that doesn't have an RDS.
    The only place I can see an RDS hindering concealment or draw is pocket or ankle carry.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Ten years from now it will be odd to see a pistol that doesn't have an RDS.
    The only place I can see an RDS hindering concealment or draw is pocket or ankle carry.
    I can see a few more than seen today, but that’s a far stretch. I doubt the numbers will even approach 10%.
    Except for some unseen major advances in technology like a hologram or a complete change in the design of handguns on the whole, I believe most shooters will prefer a handgun, especially a carry weapon, to remain on the simple side. Even the majority of the video gamer generation won’t prefer to carry a joystick game pad controller over a simple slide over barrel iron sighted handgun once real world logic kicks in.

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I agree with Mag. There are a few obstacles to RMRs, rain, snow, and fogging to mention a few. Imagine walking out of a cold building which you have been sitting in for the last 4 hours into summer heat and humidity, and u need ur weapon right now, life or death. But ur RMR lens has fogged up with condensation and you can't see **** thru it!

Iron sights on pistols are simple and effective, and they work all the time, no matter what.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Perhaps some believe they are necessary for a carry weapon. For me personally, if I’m fortunate to be far enough away from a person I consider to be a threat to need some type of optic to get a decent shot, given that I also have the time to take a controlled shot at a distance thru an optic, I’m thinking those factors would lend to me getting my ass and or my family out of harm’s way, rather than get into a gunfight. If you’ve got that kind of distance between you and the threat you have options. Shooting someone when you have the option to get away is not the best choice unless you’re a LEO and doing a job.
    It’s fair to assume that the unavoidable gunfight would be one of very close proximity. I’m certain in that instance within 25 feet (more like 3-6 feet), I would be quicker putting shots on target with my plain Jane semi auto drawn from concealment than any weapon with a hooded holosight hanging off the slide. I prefer to plan for the most possible scenario. If I had doubts about my marksmanship at a reasonable handgun distance, say within 25 feet, before I’d mount hardware on my carry, something that may potentially fail or otherwise hinder my ability to quickly and safely draw and fire the weapon, I’d practice my skills until I felt more confident.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I agree with Mag. There are a few obstacles to RMRs, rain, snow, and fogging to mention a few. Imagine walking out of a cold building which you have been sitting in for the last 4 hours into summer heat and humidity, and u need ur weapon right now, life or death. But ur RMR lens has fogged up with condensation and you can't see **** thru it!

Iron sights on pistols are simple and effective, and they work all the time, no matter what.

I see this when I take my AR pistol outside for potential critter control. I have a red dot and a 3x magnifier. Rarely, with the weather lately, do I not have to wipe the condensation off the lenses after less than a minute outside.

Perhaps some believe they are necessary for a carry weapon. For me personally, if I’m fortunate to be far enough away from a person I consider to be a threat to need some type of optic to get a decent shot, given that I also have the time to take a controlled shot at a distance thru an optic, I’m thinking those factors would lend to me getting my ass and or my family out of harm’s way, rather than get into a gunfight. If you’ve got that kind of distance between you and the threat you have options. Shooting someone when you have the option to get away is not the best choice unless you’re a LEO and doing a job.
    It’s fair to assume that the unavoidable gunfight would be one of very close proximity. I’m certain in that instance within 25 feet (more like 3-6 feet), I would be quicker putting shots on target with my plain Jane semi auto drawn from concealment than any weapon with a hooded holosight hanging off the slide. I prefer to plan for the most possible scenario. If I had doubts about my marksmanship at a reasonable handgun distance, say within 25 feet, before I’d mount hardware on my carry, something that may potentially fail or otherwise hinder my ability to quickly and safely draw and fire the weapon, I’d practice my skills until I felt more confident.

I believe at 3-6 feet, you're not going to be using sights at all. With proper training, someone will be using point shooting, squeezing off a round or two, pretty accurately, before the handgun has even been brought up to a level where iron sights would even be used. But I believe most public ranges, especially indoor ranges, frown upon that type of shooting outside of a specialized class. Due to the upward angle of firing a round from the hip toward the upper center mass, it helps to be closer to the bullet trap to keep the rounds from hitting the ceiling at an indoor range or going over the trap/berm at an outdoor range.

GearFondler

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    Pearl River, LA
    You can argue the cons all you wish, and even be right about a lot of them, but I still bet I'm right in the end.
    Over the long haul, Technology does not slow down or take steps backwards and I don't see RDSes on pistols being an exception to this... The benefits for aging eyes, low light shooting, and improved accuracy are just too much to ignore.
    These sights will continue to get tougher, cheaper, and easier to mount as manufacturers get on board.
    You've already seen it with rifles and pistols are simply the next step.
    Like quite a few of you here I'm sure, I can still remember doubting that everyone would eventually have, and "need", a home computer, and then that everyone would "need" a cell phone...
    Technology matches on, whether we need it or not.

Top Bottom