Louisiana / NOLA places off limits?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If you are standing on your porch, you are on private property. If you are standing in a yard that is fenced, there is a clear division between private and public property, and you are on private property. If you are in an unfenced yard, and you are either the homeowner or have express permission to be there from the homeowner, you are on private property. In those cases, you may be able to make a good case argument the laws should not apply to you. However, if you are on public property or you are trespassing on private property, even behind the barricade that separates you from the floats, you are both "at" and "in" the parade. The fact that you are there indicates you are participating in the parade, even if you are standing there letting beads bounce off your face.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Saenger Theatre is a no go , even if you are law enforcement. i recently went to a concert and there were four guys with hand held metal detectors scanning everyone and checking purses. i told a man who was supervising the whole thing i was law enforcement and could i carry in , long story short , no.

Were you in your jurisdiction?

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    A conversation with New Orleans lawyer, Owen Courreges

http://law.justia.com/codes/louisiana/2011/rs/title14/rs14-95-2-1/LA Rev Stat § 14:95.2.1 §95.2.1. "Illegal carrying of a firearm at a parade with any firearm used in the commission of a crime of violence"

Speedy: My personal issue: as a layperson, I would think a good lawyer would have a field day with seeing as open carry is NOT "illegal carry" and concealed carry with a permit is also legal and also that you are do not posses "any firearm used in the commission of a crime of violence," one should be able to fight this.

Owen Courreges: It's a minor exception. The offense already requires that the person also use the gun during a crime of violence, and how many would-be criminals would open carry to a parade to commit a crime of violence? They'd be seen and stopped very quickly. With respect to concealed carry, there's a separate law saying you can't carry concealed at a parade even with a CHL, I believe.

Speedy: Now, you could also open carry at a parade without committing a crime of violence... The law doesn't seem to cover that, at least not here... But it's just not a great idea and thus I've never heard of anybody doing it (retention issues, difficulty of using a firearm defensively in crowds, you'll probably want to drink because parades are boring without alcohol, etc.).

Owen Courreges: Yeah, it's La. R.S. 40:1379.3(N)(9) that says CHL holders can't legally carry at a parade.

Speedy: I realize I'm picking nits but law/lawyers, that's what ya do, right? "N. No concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun permit issued
    pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun *IN* any of the following: (9) A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity."

What constitutes being *IN* a parade Owen?

Owen Courreges: Hmmm... You have something there. The most natural reading of being "in" a parade is actually participating, not merely attending. That said, I suspect a judge would throw the rule of lenity out the window if the issue actually came in front of them and find the accused guilty.

Just look at how the courts have handled the new gun rights amendment. I think it pretty clearly guaranteed constitutional carry by omitting language that allowed restrictions on concealment and also adding language subjecting all gun restrictions to strict scrutiny, but thus far the courts have basically ignored those facts and argued that everyone simply intended to preserve all existing gun laws (a preposterous notion not supported by the text). Judges don't like radical outcomes.

So while you're correct legally, I doubt it would pan out that way in practice. Basically, the one major decision on the issue decided that the people of Louisiana basically superimposed "new" before "restriction," so that all traditional restrictions were basically grandfathered in. They essentially just amended the text arbitrarily. It's a very frustrating decision.

mini73

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2018
    Harvey, LA
    I don’t know if this has been asked yet, but I am wanting to go the Saints training camp this coming Monday. I’ve gotten used to conceal my gun everyday except where I can’t do it legally. Question is, if I show up to go to the practice in monday, and I’m conceal carrrying, are they going to let me in? Just want to know if I am going to have to leave my gun home or not. Thanks and look forward to to replies on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom