Louisiana / NOLA places off limits?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    Schools, government buildings, bars(not resteraunts with a bar), polling places, parades along with any activities that have been granted a permit. Check lars 40:1379.3 on Lalegis website for more information. Signs do not carry weight of law, but if you are asked to leave...... Leave.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jimmyhat1978

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2018
    baku
    Signs do not carry weight of law, but if you are askes to leave...... Leave.

I was of the understanding that if a private business or residence posted no weapons allowed that it was illegal to carry in those locations? Am I mistaken?

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    I was of the understanding that if a private business or residence posted no weapons allowed that it was illegal to carry in those locations? Am I mistaken?
    From what I understood based on the LA chp course it depends on whether or not you were informed of the no gun policy with regard to businesses. If you were informed it's trespassing, but if the sign was at the front door and you went in the side where it is not posted you were not informed of the policy. Private business signs don't carry the same weight as a school sign or a court house sign. Whether or not you see the sign in a court house or school you go to jail if it comes to light you are ccw. If you don't see the sign at a grocery store and it comes to light you are ccw then you go to your car and patronize a different store when asked to leave, or disarm and come back if that's an option.

You do have a duty to inform a private residence that you are carrying concealed prior to entry. If they say no then you can't carry in the residence. I think I left out churches in my first post. Church carry requires special training, and the pastor must inform the congregation without these 2 steps you are prohibited from carrying there also.

Again read over la rs 40:1379.3 or call lsp for more information. Im just sharing my experiences with you.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Signs do not carry weight of law, but if you are askes to leave...... Leave.

I am not singling you two out. You two just happened to have posted what could be the start of a long discussion. If you would like to discuss if signs carry the weight of law, please visit the below threads. You are welcome to rehash that topic in one of those threads. If the discussion in this thread moves from the topic presented in the original post, this thread may be closed.

Signs and the weight of law AGAIN!

Do signs have the force of law?

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Your gonna spoil all the fun

I am not singling you two out. You two just happened to have posted what could be the start of a long discussion. If you would like to discuss if signs carry the weight of law, please visit the below threads. You are welcome to rehash that topic in one of those threads. If the discussion in this thread moves from the topic presented in the original post, this thread may be closed.

Signs and the weight of law AGAIN!

Do signs have the force of law?

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Just when I get bored, Perez ruins the fun before it starts.
    Now. I will say one thing. You can not carry in a bar with a permit. But can at a restaurant that has a bar. You have to look at the license as to what they are classed as. Can carry t with the permission of the owner of the said bar.
    I carried at the bar I worked at. But he assumed the risk as he permitted it drew of some papers. He was also an attorney.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    In addition, the wording of the law states that you can't carry "in" a parade. It doesn't say "at" a parade. To my knowledge, this has not been tested in a court case.

Troedoff

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Prairieville
    In addition, the wording of the law states that you can't carry "in" a parade. It doesn't say "at" a parade. To my knowledge, this has not been tested in a court case.

Depends on whether the prosecutor can convince people that by attending said scheduled event you were a participant in said event.

This is like trying to split hairs. Kind of like being at a demonstration, but saying because you weren't holding a sign, you were just at, not in the demonstration. Despite the fact that you are a willing participant, and would not otherwise be there if said scheduled event were not happening.

bwalke1

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Saenger Theatre is a no go , even if you are law enforcement. i recently went to a concert and there were four guys with hand held metal detectors scanning everyone and checking purses. i told a man who was supervising the whole thing i was law enforcement and could i carry in , long story short , no.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    If you are not on a float, or marching with a band, are you "in" the parade or "at" the parade? If I am standing on a porch or in a yard on St. Charles, or behind a barricade somewhere, am I "in" a parade or "at" a parade? I think a good lawyer could beat this charge, but it would likely be expensive.

Top Bottom