Russian Ammo - GTG?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I think what you are asking is how the brass Russian ammo performs. I.e. wolf gold. If that’s your question I think it’s too notch. Actually made in Taiwan I believe. It’s veen very accurate out of my rifle and I’ve fired almost half of the case of 1k I purchased and experienced no failures or malfunctions of any kind. I heard some people more knowledgeable than me say its pretty much a m193 copy and supposedly known to be very accurate. I definitely plan on buying a few more cases to have on hand.

Yes, that's what I was wondering. I didn't mind discussing the steel stuff but I was mostly curious about the Russian brass stuff.

jcm055

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Ruston LA
    The Wolf Gold brass stuff is Taiwanese I believe and not made in Russia. It's supposed to be good quality stuff, I have a box to try but haven't been back to the range. You can catch 1000 packs of the .223 (m193 basically) for 26 or 27 cents a round.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

very good write up

basics
    •Federal: 10,000 rounds, 0 malfunctions.
    •Brown Bear: 10,000 rounds, 9 malfunctions (5 stuck cases, 1 magazine-related failure to feed, 3 failures to fully cycle)
    •Wolf: 10,000 rounds, 15 malfunctions (stuck cases)
    •Tula: DNF (6,000 rounds in alternate carbine, 3 malfunctions)

chart at bottom shows even shooting 10,000 rounds steel case vs 10,000 rounds brass, its still cheaper to replace 2 barrels @$250 each and save $1000 extra to shoot steel and they only sacrifice was 9 malfunctions which is a .0009% failure rate out of 10,000 rounds

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

very good write up

basics
    •Federal: 10,000 rounds, 0 malfunctions.
    •Brown Bear: 10,000 rounds, 9 malfunctions (5 stuck cases, 1 magazine-related failure to feed, 3 failures to fully cycle)
    •Wolf: 10,000 rounds, 15 malfunctions (stuck cases)
    •Tula: DNF (6,000 rounds in alternate carbine, 3 malfunctions)

chart at bottom shows even shooting 10,000 rounds steel case vs 10,000 rounds brass, its still cheaper to replace 2 barrels @$250 each and save $1000 extra to shoot steel and they only sacrifice was 9 malfunctions which is a .0009% failure rate out of 10,000 rounds

I saw that. The article is what prompted this thread. I know Wold and others make brass casing rounds. I've never tried them out as I always stayed away from Russian due to the steel casings. The article changed my opinion a bit on the steel stuff. I didn't know if anyone had tried the brass stuff.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    There was a scare a while back with Herters 7.62x39 (rebranded tula) that random rounds had no powder and causing squibs. That was 5 years ago though.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    You asked about brass cased ammo and most of the replies are about steel cased . :D I've shot a lot of Russian brassed stuff in rifles and handguns with no real issues . A few FTF with Monarch .

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    All brass 7.62x39 and reloadable!

Attachments

• IMAG01509.jpg
      IMAG01509.jpg
      232.9 KB · Views: 74

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    ive had a bunch of Yugo m67 brass corrosive that I burned up, but to be honest with the way I practice my drills and shooting there is no was to catch the brass, and im not combing the ground like a crack head looking for brass, as I shoot outdoors on private property. About the only brass I catch now is with a Caldwell brass catcher on my scorpions, ar15,ar10's when I run brass, other than that I run steel lol

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    ive had a bunch of Yugo m67 brass corrosive that I burned up, but to be honest with the way I practice my drills and shooting there is no was to catch the brass, and im not combing the ground like a crack head looking for brass, as I shoot outdoors on private property. About the only brass I catch now is with a Caldwell brass catcher on my scorpions, ar15,ar10's when I run brass, other than that I run steel lol

Too bad about the lost brass, People trade or pay you a little coin for brass

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    You asked about brass cased ammo and most of the replies are about steel cased . :D I've shot a lot of Russian brassed stuff in rifles and handguns with no real issues . A few FTF with Monarch .

What was it that FTF? Bad primers? I do know that it is great brass to reload. I still have some from late 70's early 980's when they head stamped them Nny
    It is a very old factory. They made ammo till the Nazi's bombed them they rebuilt and started back up

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    What was it that FTF? Bad primers? I do know that it is great brass to reload. I still have some from late 70's early 980's when they head stamped them Nny
    It is a very old factory. They made ammo till the Nazi's bombed them they rebuilt and started back up
    I guess it was a primer issue . It's been several years ago and I don't remember much past last week .

jdessell

Womb-Raider
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    NOLA
    So much misinformation in this thread. I'll summarize my reply.
    1) Steel case ammo is good to go.
    2) That Luckygunner link everyone keeps posting, what they didn't tell you is almost all of the 10,000 rounds they put through each rifle were rapid fired, which is what eats up a barrel and accelerates bore erosion. Nobody is going to do that in a real life scenario.
    3) Every rifle should be able to feed, fire and eject steel cased ammo. If it doesn't then fix or replace your rifle. I've gotten rid of a 900 dollar Bushmaster because it wouldn't run steel while I have a 400 dollar budget rifle that eats it up like a pig all day long.
    4) It is a little harder on your extractor. An extractor is roughly the cost of a box of ammo. You're saving that with each box of steel case ammo you buy.
    5) As someone else said, the Wolf Gold is better than most brass cased ammo, especially for the price. It's on par with most American made mil spec stuff.
    6) You probably won't ever shoot enough to wear out a barrel shooting steel case ammo. Unless you own a full auto lower.
    7) Most steel case stuff is not laquer coated anymore. It's polymer coated. They did this because of the laquer issues in AR rifles.

Last edited:

frhunter13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2018
    New Orleans
    Wolf Ammo gummed up my AR so badly it started jamming quite often. The gun smith cleaned it finally and told me to stop shooting that "%*&%". It has a coating on the cases that builds up in your chamber like wax! At the time I though that was a good way for them to disable our ARs. How diabolical!

Top Bottom