Question? AR9: Novelty or Reliable weapon

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patriot_Son

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2013
    Lafayette,La
    Long time fan of the AR platform. Doing research on the AR 9 (pistol/SBR/Carbine). Question is for current AR 9 owners. Do you consider ARs to be Novelty items? or, Are they just as reliable as the
    .223/5.56 big brothers?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Long time fan of the AR platform. Doing research on the AR 9 (pistol/SBR/Carbine). Question is for current AR 9 owners. Do you consider ARs to be Novelty items? or, Are they just as reliable as the
    .223/5.56 big brothers?

I can't speak for the AR portion but I miss having a 9mm carbine... I wouldn't call a 115gr 9mm at 1400fps a novelty...

TheMole68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Metairie, LA
    agreed. It’ll put a hole in a target just the same as .223/5.56
    Technically the hole is 3.44 mm bigger at least..
    I've got one. It punches paper real nice after PSA reworked it and replaced the barrel and extractor. It didn't work out of the box.
    Is it for operateratin? IDK. But it's fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.
    I'm not giving mine up any time soon.

I don't consider them a novelty.

attachment.php

Al

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I’ve had my ddles 9mm ar with 4.5 inch barrel. And it’s been a great gun that runs likea top. Only issue I had was with freedom munitions ammo. Resolved immediately after going back to AE, Speer, federal etc

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Mine is an SBR 10inch barrel with Octane45 can. Whisper quiet with 147gr rounds. I am thinking it would be great for home defense. 33 rds of 147gr HP and all they will hear is the clack of the buffer before the pain starts. I am thinking about getting a shorter barrel to make the whole package a little smaller but it shoots nice the way it is.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Not really an AR, but I have a SIG MPX pistol with the brace, it runs 100%.
    It’s basically a piston AR, with a different recoil system. All the controls are ambi AR.
    Plenty accurate and plenty reliable.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Just like everything else, it depends on The quality of the product. Lately, I’ve been running a JP Enterprise 9mm and it has been as reliable as any 223 rifle. This is the 4th 9mm I’ve owned and all have been reliable with good ammo. Last year, one manufacturer had an issue with their barrels, to their credit, they replaced all the out of spec barrels at no charge.
    For home defense they are a great option as they are not as loud as a .223 & they take a common ammo. You get a slight increase in velocity in what can be a very accurate package.
    USPSA & amazingly IDPA now allows them to be used in competition. While some can’t stand them, it has brought more shooters out to marches. Don’t overlook the AR-9, it can be a good platform for training new shooters. The ammo is cheaper, the noise is less & the guns are accurate (a good one will be).

Beauxdog

Last edited:

jtj5002

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2016
    Lacombe
    My cheapo Palmetto AR9 glock lower runs 100% with steel or brass. Running with a 7.5 oz extended buffer and heavy 9mm recoil spring. The ejector is a weak point and will mushroom a little if you run steel, but will still last a couple thousand rounds.

KAK and New Frontier are also good to go if you set the buffer and extractor right.

Older Rock River Arms were ammo picky. I think the new ones fixed the issue.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I am in the market for a 9mm PCC. I see JP looks like the top of the line. What other ones are reliable but won't break the bank? Ruger came out with one also but I do not know anything about it.

Forgotten

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 30, 2016
    Lafayette, LA
    If you run a chest rig or plate carrier with 6 AR pouches it will hold 12 colt SMG mags. So that's a huge bonus having 2x the ammo. Plus AR9's can handle a steady diet of +P+

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    The Extar AP9 looks good, would not mind getting my hands on one. I really like the Extar 223 pistol, light and shoot well.

Top Bottom