Looking at getting my first AR15

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garrett316

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2018
    Springfield, LA
    So I picked up a few different rifles the other day and the Springfield saint felt great in my hands (I liked the stock, the feel of the grip, and the feel of the hand guard) and I couldn’t get pass how much I liked the trigger on in compared to the other rifles. I then went to another gun shop where they invited me to take a look at some aero precision rifles that were in the same price range. They seemed to have some really good packages/deals. I just couldn’t get pass how much I liked the feel and the trigger of the Saint. I’m really torn on which way to go and any advice or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    So I picked up a few different rifles the other day and the Springfield saint felt great in my hands (I liked the stock, the feel of the grip, and the feel of the hand guard) and I couldn’t get pass how much I liked the trigger on in compared to the other rifles. I then went to another gun shop where they invited me to take a look at some aero precision rifles that were in the same price range. They seemed to have some really good packages/deals. I just couldn’t get pass how much I liked the feel and the trigger of the Saint. I’m really torn on which way to go and any advice or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Was it the saint EDGE by chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Chances are you will change /upgrade no matter which way you go and good single stage 3.5 velocity or similar are $120 -$175 so if it has a trigger you definitely will not want replace you are that far ahead of the game and that is that much more ammo you can afford

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I read an article in a gun magazine about a year ago. It said to stop buying off the shelf models and build your own. Figure out what parts you like and use those parts in your build. They said you come out ahead by doing that instead of buying off the shelf and changing a bunch of parts to suit your style of shooting.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    If the Saint has the features you prefer and you are happy with the price, buy it and enjoy it. It will perform similar to others in that price range.
    I did that same thing with my first AR purchase many years ago. Ever since then, I’ve built my own and helped others do the same.
    Also, Aero Precision is a trusted brand name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I would recommend either build your own with all the goodies you want or buy once, cry once and get a Daniel Defense or a BCM. Either way as you evolve and your skill level changes so might your choice of accessories. Either way you will probably spend money on new stuff as time goes by. Talk to some instructors that run classes for a living and ask them their opinion. Many here that can help. Good luck to ya.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    I just realized we have not asked you the main purpose of your purchase/ build .Do you want a range toy for dumping ammo ,a gun to complete with or varmint rifle a defence gun or maybe deer hunting rifle . Maybe you want a dual purpose gun . And sometimes we assume .556 is what people are going to build first but unless cheaper ammo is the criteria it may not be the best choice . Give us a little more input as to main purpose .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Yes, what it the primary purpose for the AR; pistol, home defense, general shooting, precision shooting? Then what caliber; .17 HMR, .22, 5.56mm, 6.5mm, 6.8mm, 300 Blackout, 7.62x39mm, .50 Beowulf, pistol caliber, plus others. Barrel length; pistol, 16", 18", 20", 24". Iron sights, scope, red dot, night vision? Oh my aching head! AR's are like Lego blocks, just build it the way you want. Unfortunately they're also like M&M's, you can't stop!

If you're in the Shreveport area I'll be happy to help ya in any way I can. I've got the tools & have built up several.

Edit: I just saw you're down in Springfield, that's a bit too far to drive. You should be able to find help closer to you.

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA

I'm gonna go against the majority here and advise you to purchase an AR15 complete/ready to fire. It's a buyer's market right now big time, you can purchase an Anderson Arms, DPMS, or a Bushmaster for less than $500 brand new on grabagun.com. And no sales taxes either and a factory warranty should any issues arise. Just a $20/25 transfer fee to the FFL.

I have put together quite a few ARs and you cannot piece together one for near those prices today's market. Sure you can build exactly what you want but it will cost you. And if you decide to sell it down the road, many buyers don't want to purchase your "home built" AR. I also have a lowly DPMS Oracle, and its a great shooter. Define your intended purpose for the rifle first.

Here are some links to distributors where you can purchase a new AR15 (mild to wild) and have a local FFL do the transfer. Its so easy, like ordering a pizza, unless you're legally prohibited from owning a firearm.

grabagun website: https://grabagun.com/firearms/ar-15-ar10-and-other-ar/complete-ar-rifles.html?dir=asc&limit=100&order=price

buds guns: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

primary arms right next door in Texas: http://www.primaryarms.com/

Palmetto State Armory, rifle kits and parts: https://palmettostatearmory.com/

I have done business with all the above and they are GTG. Primary Arms is a "go to" for all things AR related. Good people, great services, and low cost shipping.

If you do decide to do the "build it yourself" route, I am in Hammond and can help you put together the complete upper assembly/rifle. I have the required tools. Will work for lunch kind of thing. Good tools ain't cheap.

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Oh and there is also the used market here on BS, or on Louisiana Sportsman classifieds: http://www.louisianasportsman.com/

One of the guys above mentioned Velocity Triggers. I have two, drop in assembly with two pinch/set screws on the bottom of the assembly, come in 3 and 4#, precision, break like a glass rod. Can be had for $140/150 new delivered to ur door. The owner worked for many years at Giselle Triggers and formed his own business. Tom if i remember his name right, 25 years experience in the business.

https://velocitytriggers.com/

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm gonna go against the majority here and advise you to purchase an AR15 complete/ready to fire. It's a buyer's market right now big time, you can purchase an Anderson Arms, DPMS, or a Bushmaster for less than $500 brand new on grabagun.com. And no sales taxes either and a factory warranty should any issues arise. Just a $20/25 transfer fee to the FFL.

I have put together quite a few ARs and you cannot piece together one for near those prices today's market. Sure you can build exactly what you want but it will cost you. And if you decide to sell it down the road, many buyers don't want to purchase your "home built" AR. I also have a lowly DPMS Oracle, and its a great shooter. Define your intended purpose for the rifle first.

Here are some links to distributors where you can purchase a new AR15 (mild to wild) and have a local FFL do the transfer. Its so easy, like ordering a pizza, unless you're legally prohibited from owning a firearm.

grabagun website: https://grabagun.com/firearms/ar-15-ar10-and-other-ar/complete-ar-rifles.html?dir=asc&limit=100&order=price

buds guns: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

primary arms right next door in Texas: http://www.primaryarms.com/

Palmetto State Armory, rifle kits and parts: https://palmettostatearmory.com/

I have done business with all the above and they are GTG. Primary Arms is a "go to" for all things AR related. Good people, great services, and low cost shipping.

If you do decide to do the "build it yourself" route, I am in Hammond and can help you put together the complete upper assembly/rifle. I have the required tools. Will work for lunch kind of thing. Good tools ain't cheap.

I think some of the posters were thinking long term cost. I've see deals right now on PSA for a rifle for $450. Right now there is a kit minus the stripped lower for $300 and a stripped lower for $40. Or a complete lower for $170 and a complete upper for $200. They make pretty good range guns. But at some point, most shooters will want a better than mil-spec trigger or a more comfortable stock or a hand guard with rails for a light or a better barrel. At that point, if you can get the parts you aren't going to upgrade for cheaper than you can get the entire rifle, you will come out ahead in the long run. But I understand what you're saying. If you get a cheaper complete rifle now, you can decide, with minimal expense, if this is something you want to move forward with. Plus, you get a working rifle while you are piecing together all the upgrades.

Lets_Ride

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    I tend to agree with the "buy a complete rifle" crowd. Get into it and see where it takes you and then build your own gun down the line specifically for whatever you get into. When I bought my first rifle, it was just a range toy but I ended up getting into 3 gun so built my next rifle with that in mind.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Upon further inspection of the safe and some reflection, you would be better off to go buy a very nice car (Corvette, etc...) than get into AR’s. Pick up a cheap AK and a nice car.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Upon further inspection of the safe and some reflection, you would be better off to go buy a very nice car (Corvette, etc...) than get into AR’s. Pick up a cheap AK and a nice car.

I really like cars, and vote for a Vette or Camaro. And there are no more cheap AKs anymore. Back in the late 1980's/early 1990s when i had an FFL, I could buy a quality AK for $250. SKSs for $100, Not no more. I sold my last SKS for 3 times what I had paid for it. Should have kept my Colt Pythons too, never figured they'd be selling for $2500-4000. Ditto King Cobras. All revolvers have gone thru the roof. Supply and demand rules the day.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA

But I agree with you, I have a whole lotta toys sitting in my safe doing pretty much nothing. Buy a real nice car, and enjoy it :)

Last edited:

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I really like cars, and vote for a Vette or Camaro. And there are no more cheap AKs anymore. Back in the late 1980's/early 1990s when i had an FFL, I could buy a quality AK for $250. SKSs for $100, Not no more. I sold my last SKS for 3 times what I had paid for it. Should have kept my Colt Pythons too, never figured they'd be selling for $2500-4000. Ditto King Cobras. All revolvers have gone thru the roof. Supply and demand rules the day.

My first AK was a Norinco bought by my dad for me in around 1981 at the Slidell gun show for $350. U r correct can’t get pre-bans at a good price but PSA has some in the $500 range. When Arsenal first hit the shelves they were a steal also. Boy if only I knew then what I....

Garrett316

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2018
    Springfield, LA
    Wow thanks to all of you on the comments and advice so far. It is all very helpful/educational! I want to get a 5.56/.223 to serve as a hog hunting/go shooting with some friends/home defense gun. I’m kind of leaning towards buying a complete rifle to just get the feel of it starting out mainly because as I’m picking out parts I feel like I’m just going to be picking up parts to recreat the completed rifle I already liked the most.

IGCHRIS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Madisonville

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    +1 on velocity triggers, have 2 and they are awesome

Forum statistics