TCR-22

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I don't own one but there seems to be some tradeoffs with the TC vs the Ruger 10/22. TC worked with magpul and the shape of their stock reflects that. You can get the same look on the Ruger with a $130 Magpul Hunter X-22 stock. With the price of a standard 10/22 being a little over $200, the rifle/stock combo from Ruger/Magpul is similarly priced to the TC. If you are going to keep it stock, the TC seems to win. It has a built in rail, longer sight radius, and a threaded barrel. The threaded barrel a plus if you have a 22 can. If you ever want to upgrade the barrel to a bull barrel, you you can flip the shelf in the Magpul stock with no issues. In the TC stock, you can remove the shelf for a bull barrel but you have to take out the shelf, losing the MLok slots on the bottom, the mounting point for a tripod. The Magpul stock also has a couple of MLok slots on the side which may be useful for a sling attachment. The Magpul stock has an adjustable length of pull and cheek risers of different sizes. It also has multiple spots on the buttstock for attaching a sling.

If you don't have a silencer or don't plan on getting one, the main advantages seem to be the sight radius and the built in rail. If you are planning to put a scope on it, the sight radius may not matter much. Rails for the 10/22 can be found for as low as $10. I like the look of the TC because it reminds me of my 10/22 with a Magpul stock. Personally, I would go with the 10/22 but I like to keep upgrade options open. For about $20-30 more than the TC, I can get the same look with the 10/22. I'd put a scope on it which negates the sight radius difference. The only reason I would choose the TC would be if I knew I would be keeping it stock. In that case, the threaded barrel would be the deciding factor as I have a 22 silencer.

That being said, the TC does look nice. It's a one stop package that mimics the look and cost of the 10/22 quite well. And it does have an upgraded knurled charging handle and last round hold open. But I think you have to use the TC magazine for the latter feature. And the former can be installed on the 10/22 as an aftermarket part. I hope my rambling has helped you in some way.

Iancallahan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    Houma
    I have the 10/22 already and if I was really looking to build I would probably go that route again. I was thinking about picking up the TCR just to throw a red dot and maybe a flashlight on it to play around the house and shoot varmints. I do like a bull barrel but the barrel on the TCR looks pretty hefty already. I'd like to know if the iron sights are removable, so if I go with a red dot it would look a little cleaner.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It looks like they are removable. They also seem to sit right above the rail and may not get in the way of some red dots. The front sight may also be removable. If you haven't read it already, The Firearm Blog has a pretty good writeup.

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_9415.jpg

IMG_9412.jpg

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/07/02/review-thompson-center-tcr22/

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I thought about getting one too for all of the reasons you've mentioned. I also noticed oddly the TC has a 1:15 twist instead of 1:16.

I was also thinking about the Brownells barreled actions with the rail built in. They have pre-orders for railed with heavy threaded barrels for $170 I think. What are you guys thoughts on that?

Top Bottom