Questions for the Glock Gurus

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    I picked up my first Glock. And am picking up another next weekend when I get in from Texas. I have a few questions about springs.

I still have a couple thousand reloads that I did when I was getting into USPSA. They were loaded for 9mm minor.
    I'd like to set up this 1st Glock to run them reliably.

I have read all week about differant power springs. Where do I start ? This is confusing.

Scott5.0

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Loranger, LA
    I picked up my first Glock. And am picking up another next weekend when I get in from Texas. I have a few questions about springs.

I still have a couple thousand reloads that I did when I was getting into USPSA. They were loaded for 9mm minor.
    I'd like to set up this 1st Glock to run them reliably.

I have read all week about differant power springs. Where do I start ? This is confusing.

Try running your ammo through the gun with the stock springs before you start swapping stuff out. No sense in reinventing the wheel if you do not have too.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Try running your ammo through the gun with the stock springs before you start swapping stuff out. No sense in reinventing the wheel if you do not have too.
    I agree with this. Mostly..
    Then find your way over to Glockmeister for some stainless op rod and spring combos. Get with me and we can discuss factory weight and go from there. I have 13# and up for the 19 and a few for the 17, 22, 23 etc. you can try.

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Try running your ammo through the gun with the stock springs before you start swapping stuff out. No sense in reinventing the wheel if you do not have to.

My G19 runs fine using any ammo, including reloads. I've gone back to the factory recoil spring assembly and have no malfunctions.
    umrx1wkbfqim0lxtew4e.jpg

bryanbag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    As said above, try you load out in the gun first. You will be surprised how soft of a load you can shoot out of a glock.

In my PPC. I have it down to a 130PF out of a 16" barrel. (3.2 titegroup with a 124g Bayou Bullet) That same load out of my Gen 5 G17 works just fine and locks the slide back on the last round.

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I installed a Jager oversize guide rod and 14" Wolf spring in my 34 several months ago. I had been resistant to change (not sure why now) as I was heavily biased toward reliability over any need for a softer feeling 9mm.

I was very surprised how much difference it made. I have a 12# that I will be trying out soon. If it proves reliable I don't see any reason not to go there. There are a number of people out there recommending 11# as a good weight, but my thought is that I will stay in the 12-13# range.

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Another suggestion. I believe it's episode #19 of the "Shannon Smith Shooting Show" podcast where he talks about the purpose and feel of recoil springs.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom