Geology, or, . . . How to dig a well

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Just wondering if any of y'all know the shallow geology specific to the Westbank, or how to find that information.

Alternatively, If you have drilled your own well in the New Orleans area, I would like to know things like how deep, etc.

Thinking of drilling a shallow well to water gardens with.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    When I was installing commercial signs, we'd have to drill pretty deep to set 24/36" diameter poles. Like drummer said, about 6ft you start hitting water. I've drilled as far as 10' down and within minutes the bottom foot or so was nothing but water.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    When I was installing commercial signs, we'd have to drill pretty deep to set 24/36" diameter poles. Like drummer said, about 6ft you start hitting water. I've drilled as far as 10' down and within minutes the bottom foot or so was nothing but water.

At what depth did you typically hit sand? Or did you?

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Didn't. About a foot and a half down id start hitting clay. About 2/3ft mark, wet clay and it stayed that way and just got more saturated the deeper I went. We would use a bobcat with a auger bit and extensions to get however deep, so it was a clean drill down. We were able to distinguish the separate levels of clay through the last however many years. Was pretty cool actually.
    ( I'm a geography/history nerd)

Last edited:

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    There is a aquifer that runs from ascension parish up through new Orleans. Decent clean water in the sand base will be at 20 to 40 feet. Anything less than that and your getting river water and bacteria.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    There is a aquifer that runs from ascension parish up through new Orleans. Decent clean water in the sand base will be at 20 to 40 feet. Anything less than that and your getting river water and bacteria.

Thank You. This is exactly what I was looking for.

I know the cities wells are between 400-800 ft. I'm just looking for something for JUSTIN CASE, and to water my garden. I know a shallow well is not potable, unless treated and filtered.

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    We dug that well for a 6inch casing a few blocks off canal Blvd. South side of canal. He uses a very small hand pump from harbor freight. Claims his garden does much better versus city water.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    We dug that well for a 6inch casing a few blocks off canal Blvd. South side of canal. He uses a very small hand pump from harbor freight. Claims his garden does much better versus city water.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yes. A small hand pump is exactly what I had in mind.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    That doesn't go for the whole city, btw. We lived off Chef highway in the east when I was growing up. Chef and Gentilly blvd are built on the Metairie Ridge. When we built they were driving half a piling then flattening the tops. it was solid clay until you hit bedrock. Other parts of the city you could put three piliings on top of each other and not hit anything solid.

You might also want to check to see if you need a permit before you start digging. It would suck to hit a gas or sewage line! Not to mention the city might fine you for digging without the permit...

Top Bottom