Self Defense for my daughter

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Sounds about right. I love how Krav and BJJ don't just hand out black belts like candy. I trained in TKD for 11ish years and "earned" a third degree black belt, yet I'm sure any purple belt in krav would kick my ass in a real fight (weapons exluded). And I have dabbled on the mat with various ranks of BJJ guys and they're just evil.
    Absolutely. My only problem with BJJ is that its awesome one on one, two on one and you're screwed.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Absolutely. My only problem with BJJ is that its awesome one on one, two on one and you're screwed.

More than 1 on 1 is always difficult unless your 2 opponents have zero training or fighting skills.
    In my younger days I went 1 on 1, 2 on 1, 3 on 1 and 4 on 1. After 2 on 1 things get VERY DIFFICULT.
    In a Serious DT Class 50 years ago I knocked one opponent out and sent another one to the hospital with a bruised kidney.
    Now I am old, disabled and try to avoid physical encounters if at all possible.

kbownds

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2017
    Lubbock, Texas
    We have a club/group locally which is called "Gal and a Gun". I think they are all over. Look them up on the internet and see if you have a chapter close to you. They welcome young shooters and that would be a great venue for her to start learning how to handle and shoot a gun/pistol. I'm sure they also have self-defense programs tailored for women and small framed people.

She can still have a shotgun at home! Best deterrent is the "click click" sound. Sends'em running every time.

MGshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Denham Springs
    I have been taking classes with BR Krav Maga for 3 years . It's a great group of instructors and students , with 3 instructors having black belts . Two are also full time officers and bring a real world view to the classes . One thing I notice in the classes is the girls tend to partner up . It's fine at first . However after she gets familiar with the moves and such I suggest working with the bigger guys . It's not going to be a 100lb girl that tries to abduct someone , and if you can fight off a 300lb dude you are well on your way . I'm often used by instructors as a worse case scenario during grabs , not all moves work on every one . And despite what lots of people say , size and strength mean a whole lot .

Troedoff

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Prairieville
    After a lifetime of training various martial arts, Krav, Kickboxing, Structured Karate in many disciplines, Kaji, Currently BJJ more for the health benefits, Esckrima, Sambo, and many gun courses. I have come to realize that developing a defensive mindset, and conquering fears are far more effective at not making yourself a victim. If you go out into the general public with the mindset of I am going to be aware of my surroundings, and with full awareness that there are mean people in the world, you have just eliminated a large percentage of the so called chance encounters, where a bad guy is looking for an easy target.

If you watch videos of people being robbed at ATM's or anything else. You will see the common thread is, that the victim gets into a hurry, or gets a nervous look, and will not make eye contact with an aggressor. Many other situations play into this as well. Martial arts are great to build confidence, and to conquer fears, or to get yourself into shape, and exercise muscle groups that do not get worked on at the gym. It will help you to understand how to control distance, and flee or get away from a bad situation, but there is not one snake oil martial art. Krav, and Kaji are great for dealing with multi attackers, BJJ is great for one on one work. None are going to give a 100lb woman a huge advantage over a much larger or stronger individual. At best they will provide you with the tools to get yourself out of a bad situation, and in a position to get away.

I still train 3 days a week, but awareness is still a much larger deterrent than 30 years of training. No one knows how much training you have, but they immediately see awareness, confidence, posture, and your mannerisms. Never believe anyone when they tell you their martial art will allow an average 100 pounder to beat a much larger stronger opponent, especially under duress, absent years of training. The largest impact a person can have is to measure the risk involved in the places, and things you expose yourself to, and be mindful of the events going on around you. Listen to your gut, and if you get bad vibes, Leave. Don't play a victim.

I am not saying don't seek out training, because it is never too early to start training. Training is good for the mind and body alike. It is not however the end all be all, or immediately the most effective.

dmattcrow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2017
    US
    Gracie united bjj. Jiu jitsu is the way to go. We have 13 yr old girls been training since they were 5 that can take a grown man.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

DarcMac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    Hi all,
    My daughter isn't old enough to carry a gun on her when she's out (age 16). Does anyone have any recommendations for a good self defense course in the BTR / Prairieville area for her to attend?

Thank you so much
    Stacy
    Prairieville, LA

As the father of a daughter who just turned 21, and lives 2 states away, I can relate to your concerns, so I have two recommendations:
    #1 If you are considering CCW or just handgun defense for her when she is of age, get her to a range like Precision Arms in BR or Nick's in Garyville where the young lady can actually shoot a variety of handguns to find what best works for her, caliber-wise. You want the highest caliber she can safely and comfortably handle for self-defense and carry.

#2 Krav Maga. There is a location in Gonzales at Felix's gym (ph#: 225-366-9018) . I have no affiliation with them, don't even know the company's name but am unaware if there are other local options in the area. Krav Maga is all about immediate fight-ending self-defense, not sparring for trophies. It is the real deal.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Troedoff

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Prairieville
    Gracie united bjj. Jiu jitsu is the way to go. We have 13 yr old girls been training since they were 5 that can take a grown man.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

7 years of training through the most formative years of their life. They surely can take a grown untrained man in jiu jitsu. What happens the first time they go for the take down, and get puched in the face?

I train BJJ, and love the art. It is not the last line of defense, or even the perfect art for any and every situation. Jiu jitsu is first and foremost, as it is trained today an art for sport, with many rules. Jiu Jitsu vs Jiu Jitsu experience wins every time over strength.

I am not trying to take anything away from any art. I am just saying to approach them for what they are, and be able to recognize the strengths, and weaknesses in them. Don't buy into the hype.

I can honestly come up with hundreds of scenarios where Jiu Jitsu would not be the best choice in a confrontation in the real world. Especially in that most schools do not teach the self defense version of the art, and focus more on the sport.

Plus I cannot remember the last 1v1 street fight I saw.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    "There is only one art" Xuanwu, Chinese god of martial arts.

I've looked quite a bit at krav maga. Its not all that different in form from what we do in Shorin Ryu. The attitude and training methods are different, but they are more similar than different. BTW Shorin Ryu is closer to kung fu than TKD by far.

Last edited:

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    EQUALIZER CLASS
    The Baton Rouge Police Department is offering an Equalizer Women’s Self-Defense class. The class location will be at the Baton Rouge Police Department Training Academy, located at 9000 Airline Hwy. The class times are from 6:00pm until 10:00pm for each session.
    Session 1:
    Tuesday, July 31st
    Session 2:
    Thursday, August 2nd
    Session 3:
    Tuesday, August 7th
    Session 4:
    Thursday, August 9th
    There is no charge to attend the class, which is open to women over the age of 13. Participants should wear comfortable clothing suitable for physical activity.
    The course covers: facts about violence against women, reducing the risk of becoming a victim, defensive striking, common grab defenses, head-lock defenses, bear hug defenses, striking and knife defense and group escapes.
    Participants must attend all 4 sessions to be certified.
    Class size is limited so participants should register early by clicking on the following link: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/baton-rouge-police-department-womens-equalizer-class-july-31st-aug-2nd-7th-and-9th-registration-48003099563

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lej1608
    Top Bottom