Self Defense for my daughter

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stacy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Prairieville, LA
    Hi all,
    My daughter isn't old enough to carry a gun on her when she's out (age 16). Does anyone have any recommendations for a good self defense course in the BTR / Prairieville area for her to attend?

Thank you so much
    Stacy
    Prairieville, LA

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Find her a good martial arts program. Look for one that doesn't focus on point scoring (ie Tiger Rock TKD). You want one that focuses on striking as well as joint locks and escapes. Look around at a true traditional okinawian karate style, krav maga, hapkido with some brazilian jiu jitsu thrown in, etc.
    In the mean time look for a good women's self defense seminar to start with.

Grandpa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2014
    New Orleans
    Try to find training in Krav Maga. That is the Israeli military martial arts. It does not train the student to spar by rules. It trains the student to survive a no rules bared street fight. A kick in the nuts, gouging eyes, and chocking are all valid tactics in a life or death street fight. You learn something you can use on the first session.

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    You can call the BRPD academy. They occasionally do women’s self defense classes but I’m not sure on all the specifics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stacy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Prairieville, LA
    Repy to Granpa: I've been told that very same thing about the Israeli martial arts - was also told that all women go through it too. That would be perfect if I can find the training around here

- - - Updated - - -
    MOTOR51 - Thank you

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Repy to Granpa: I've been told that very same thing about the Israeli martial arts - was also told that all women go through it too. That would be perfect if I can find the training around here

- - - Updated - - -
    MOTOR51 - Thank you

Like all martial arts there is good krav maga programs and bad. Check them out carefully. Some are a bit too, I don't know... militant? kinda like crossfit people but more aggressive....
    BTW, krav maga isn't really martial arts as it is just martial and no arts... not necessarily a bad thing but it depends on what you're looking for. It leaves out a lot of the theory and reasoning from what I've seen. If you want a quick self defense program that may be just what she needs. Do the one day women's self defense course first.
    BTW, my wife took one with Advantage Group a few years ago. It was excellent from what i saw. She took another recently at a Shorin Ryu dojo (i was one of the training dummies for that one :) ). Both were good but had a very different approach. The Advantage Group program focused more on mental awareness and improvised weapons. The Shorin Ryu (its a style of karate if you're not familiar...) focused more on hand to hand, how to get out of chokes, etc. We covered a few strikes, a few joint locks, a few kicks, basically how to escape. I'd say both had value but with a different focus.

Last edited:

Grandpa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2014
    New Orleans
    I found a Krav Maga course in Baton Rouge - getting her signed up! Thank you so much for the idea

Good. I want to have my granddaughter take it in the next couple of years as she grows a bit older. I sat in on one lesson to see what it was about and then bought a book on it. It seems like the world is becoming less civilized. Unfortunately I got diagnosed with cancer before I started a course. I can fight only one battle at a time. I was impressed by the curriculum.

Last edited:

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    BRPD has a good women's self defense class, it's in the evenings over a few weeks unless I'm mistaken. I'm not sure when the next one will be.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I have trained in a few different arts and Krav is by far the most practical one. Call BR Krav and ask for Destin.

One thing about Krav and any "true" self-defense learning is that it takes a lot of time to learn the skills. While the BRPD and other similar classes are absolutely great, you just can't learn too many actionable skills in one or two classes, it takes practice. If your daughter is looking for something like that, Krav three nights a week is great. If she doesn't want to commit to something like that, classes like BRPD, Advantage Group, and etc are all great options as well.

In the end, the biggest determinant of winning any self-defense encounter is the mental fortitude to not be a victim and not give up. If you carry yourself like someone who is willing to handle themselves, people somewhat assume that you know how to.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I have trained in a few different arts and Krav is by far the most practical one. Call BR Krav and ask for Destin.

One thing about Krav and any "true" self-defense learning is that it takes a lot of time to learn the skills. While the BRPD and other similar classes are absolutely great, you just can't learn too many actionable skills in one or two classes, it takes practice. If your daughter is looking for something like that, Krav three nights a week is great. If she doesn't want to commit to something like that, classes like BRPD, Advantage Group, and etc are all great options as well.

In the end, the biggest determinant of winning any self-defense encounter is the mental fortitude to not be a victim and not give up. If you carry yourself like someone who is willing to handle themselves, people somewhat assume that you know how to.

You're not kidding about the time investment. I'm 3 years into Shorin Ryu (and not counting a few years of Bushido before that) so figure in excess of 350 hours of training and I'd say I'm past the beginner stage finally... :)

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    You're not kidding about the time investment. I'm 3 years into Shorin Ryu (and not counting a few years of Bushido before that) so figure in excess of 350 hours of training and I'd say I'm past the beginner stage finally... :)

Sounds about right. I love how Krav and BJJ don't just hand out black belts like candy. I trained in TKD for 11ish years and "earned" a third degree black belt, yet I'm sure any purple belt in krav would kick my ass in a real fight (weapons exluded). And I have dabbled on the mat with various ranks of BJJ guys and they're just evil.

Top Bottom