Tow trucks with blue strobes

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I still haven't found any, at least none that is clearly posted for anyone who can be reached to know about. This is EBR, more specifically City of BR. It's one specific tow company that has a contract of some sort with the city to respond to city incidents, while maintaining their normal calls. (not a dedicated branch of DPW or anything).

If you're from BR you're probably familiar with RoadRunner. I don't have a personal issue with RR, just the act of using blue lights in a manner that is confusing at best and illegal at worst. For example, a driver "forgets" his blue lights and goes on a "personal call" to some customer. He meanders his merry way through the city, ignoring signage and traffic. What's the difference from a "city call" and a "customer call"? This could get any of their drivers in a whole lotta trouble, if anyone were to press the case. Or maybe even worse that than, leaves the blue lights on and takes a call outside of the parish? The use case they have presented so far is just so..bad... Their possible "off-duty" possession and operation of blue lights is a whole 'nother ball game from say an off-duty LEO using blue lights.

What spawned this inquiry was a RR truck making a left turn from eastbound Government St. onto northbound S. Acadian thruway. I was traveling westbound on Government when I encountered the tow truck running blue lights clearly attempting to turn left onto Acadian (left is forbidden from Government each way). I stopped (blocking traffic in the process) and waved him through. He didn't go. Didn't go. Didn't go... so I went ahead on through the light. As soon as I cleared in intersection both lights for Government turned red. After the lights turned red, the tow truck driver then ran the red light, on an illegal left turn, with S. Acadian having the green light. Not only was running the light unnecessary, the left turn at the light wasn't even necessary. He could have turned left onto either Beverly or Westmoreland just fine...

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.4442329,-91.1554438,17z

I’ve never witnessed a RR truck with blue lights. Did you call Ms. Judy at RR, she is extremely nice and will listen to your concerns. I believe the only person that should have blue lights is LE. I also liked it when police had blue and deputies had red/blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Try waiting for an NOPD unit to show up at a traffic accident.

Yes. A crash report is a record used for a civil contract between you and your insurance company. Given the amount of criminal matters going on in New Orleans at a given time, you will likely wait a while for NOPD. Given the choine between having NOPD respond to a crash and NOPD responding to an armed robbery in progress, the crash will come second.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I still haven't found any, at least none that is clearly posted for anyone who can be reached to know about. This is EBR, more specifically City of BR. It's one specific tow company that has a contract of some sort with the city to respond to city incidents, while maintaining their normal calls. (not a dedicated branch of DPW or anything).

Some Baton Rouge Ordinances:

Title 11 Chapter 23 Sec. 11:277 - Use of flashing red and blue lights restricted
    No vehicle, except authorized emergency vehicles, shall display a flashing or blinking red or blue light to the front of the vehicle, while the vehicle is in motion.

Title 11 Chapter 1 Sec. 11:1 - Definition of words and phrases
    Authorized emergency vehicle shall mean such fire department vehicles, police vehicles, ambulances and emergency medical service vehicles as are publicly owned, and such other publicly or privately owned vehicles as are designated by the chief of police.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Some Baton Rouge Ordinances:

Title 11 Chapter 23 Sec. 11:277 - Use of flashing red and blue lights restricted
    No vehicle, except authorized emergency vehicles, shall display a flashing or blinking red or blue light to the front of the vehicle, while the vehicle is in motion.

Title 11 Chapter 1 Sec. 11:1 - Definition of words and phrases
    Authorized emergency vehicle shall mean such fire department vehicles, police vehicles, ambulances and emergency medical service vehicles as are publicly owned, and such other publicly or privately owned vehicles as are designated by the chief of police.

Yeah, but can city ordinances confer abilities beyond state RS? And would they be suitable defense if a truck was operated outside city limits?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Yeah, but can city ordinances confer abilities beyond state RS? And would they be suitable defense if a truck was operated outside city limits?

The city of BR does not authorize RR to use blue lights so it’s irrelevant

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

I would imagine a more restrictive state law would take priority over a city ordinance because the state law still applies within the city limits.

Suburbazine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The city of BR does not authorize RR to use blue lights so it’s irrelevant

Is there an official statement to that effect somewhere? (It's the lack of one either way that makes this so confusing to deal with) I spoke to Kelly at BRPD and while she wasn't sure, she did transfer me to RR's dispatcher who stated RR trucks were authorized to run blue lights "when taking calls for the police".

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Is there an official statement to that effect somewhere? (It's the lack of one either way that makes this so confusing to deal with) I spoke to Kelly at BRPD and while she wasn't sure, she did transfer me to RR's dispatcher who stated RR trucks were authorized to run blue lights "when taking calls for the police".

That sound like BS

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

Did you ask her the same question. I’ve never witnessed one using blue lights nor have I ever seen anything authorizing them to utilize blue lights. I’d bet a paycheck the city will not give a written authorization for a wrecker service to run code 3 using blue lights for simple liability reasons. I’ve never seen a wrecker driver in our required tactical driving courses.

Suburbazine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Did you ask her the same question. I’ve never witnessed one using blue lights nor have I ever seen anything authorizing them to utilize blue lights. I’d bet a paycheck the city will not give a written authorization for a wrecker service to run code 3 using blue lights for simple liability reasons. I’ve never seen a wrecker driver in our required tactical driving courses.

The official answer, from LSP, was a resounding NO, absolutely not allowed under any circumstance.

So I guess we’ll see what happens next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    The official answer, from LSP, was a resounding NO, absolutely not allowed under any circumstance.

Was this a desk sergeant or the actual section hat deals with wreckers?

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

Was someone going to look into it?

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    A phone call from the desk sergeant to the owner of the tow company should put an end to it. To cite and prosecute, he needs to be caught in the process.

Suburbazine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    A phone call from the desk sergeant to the owner of the tow company should put an end to it. To cite and prosecute, he needs to be caught in the process.

Troop A said they will start checking the wreckers for improper equipment.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Towing and Recovery section used to check tow trucks and their facilities annually. Don't know if they still do it. Don't even know if there is still a Towing and Recovery section.

Suburbazine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Towing and Recovery section used to check tow trucks and their facilities annually. Don't know if they still do it. Don't even know if there is still a Towing and Recovery section.

There is. I’ve done a few things through them.

Top Bottom