Join BayouShooter For Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marksman

User Info Menu

3D-Printed Gun Plan Files Legal

This opens some doors.. Especially to lots of lost fingers and powder burns!

https://www.pcmag.com/news/362382/3d...-legal-penalty
    Last edited by krotsman; July 12th, 2018 at 08:40 PM.

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

"Significantly, the government expressly acknowledges that non-automatic firearms up to .50-caliber – including modern semi-auto sporting rifles such as the popular AR-15 and similar firearms – are not inherently military."

I'd love to see this in an official court document. This statement has a lot of implications and is a huge blow to the anti-gun community.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by krotsman View Post
    This opens some doors.. Especially to lots of lost fingers and powder burns!

https://www.pcmag.com/news/362382/3d...-legal-penalty
    Yeah, ABS plastic won't hold a lot of chamber pressure. I'm going to print some G.I. Joe sized M16's and keep one in my shirt pocket. When some bufoon asks how many guns I've printed I can whip one out and say "a lot, here do you want one".
    Doug

If you do what your enemy expects, you will die.

Keytruda came, saw, and kicked my cancers ass!

LEO

User Info Menu

Last paragraph - "untraceable guns that criminals can buy or print themselves." Correct me if I'm wrong, but without offering for sale or exporting from one's home state, isn't it already legal for a home hobbyist to manufacture an "untraceable" gun for personal use?

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kraut View Post
    Last paragraph - "untraceable guns that criminals can buy or print themselves." Correct me if I'm wrong, but without offering for sale or exporting from one's home state, isn't it already legal for a home hobbyist to manufacture an "untraceable" gun for personal use?
    Yes, but that wasn't the point of the article. The pint was it is legal to share the files needed to print the untraceable guns. The last sentence expresses the fear that people who would otherwise not be tech savvy enough to create the file themselves will not be burdened with having to learn as the files will be freely available.

Marksman

User Info Menu

If by "untraceable gun" you mean a gun self manufactured without a serial number or ANY paperwork, providing it is of legal length, caliber etc, NO, that is NOT illegal. Making such a gun and selling or giving it away (transferring it away) WOULD be illegal.

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by herohog View Post
    If by "untraceable gun" you mean a gun self manufactured without a serial number or ANY paperwork, providing it is of legal length, caliber etc, NO, that is NOT illegal. Making such a gun and selling or giving it away (transferring it away) WOULD be illegal.
    The title of the thread is misleading. It's not the making of the gun that was deemed legal. That was not in question. It was the sharing of the files to print the guns that was made legal.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thperez1972 View Post
    The title of the thread is misleading. It's not the making of the gun that was deemed legal. That was not in question. It was the sharing of the files to print the guns that was made legal.
    I thought about that when I started the thread, but it was an awkward phrase so I simplified it... I just changed it. More awkward, but more accurate

LEO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thperez1972 View Post
    Yes, but that wasn't the point of the article. The pint was it is legal to share the files needed to print the untraceable guns. The last sentence expresses the fear that people who would otherwise not be tech savvy enough to create the file themselves will not be burdened with having to learn as the files will be freely available.
    I got the point of the article, thank you, just think it's funny how the anti crowd is going to make it out as if it's new to make a gun at home. This will make it easier, but it's not new, although many who will listen to them and blindly follow will believe this to be opening up some new door. Opening it WIDER, yes, but it was already open, just not common.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Glock has been making all plastic guns for decades. Why reinvent the wheel?
    Those who live by the sword, get shot by those who don't.

Tim