Sherburne Range Etiquette

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hey guys,

I'm becoming something of a regular at the Sherburne range, and for the most part I love it there. Most of the time the place is empty and I have it to myself, but I'm always happy to share with others; it is a public range, after all, and the people I meet tend to be pretty great.

The only real downside to Sherburne is the poor etiquette and safety that some people demonstrate. When going cold it's not unusual for someone to still be handling their firearm, or for people to exhibit poor muzzle control on "unloaded" guns, etc.

I'm an RSO and I'm happy to play that role at the range, but I'm wondering if people would see that as me being a jerk? I don't really want to do that (I'm there to shoot, not to referee others), but in the interest of safety I'd much rather take that extra minute to police the line, than to not do that and risk an accident.

Last weekend the range was going cold, and a guy had his revolver with the cylinder closed and the muzzle facing back towards the parking lot. He insisted that the gun was empty and "safe," and I insisted that he open the cylinder and point the muzzle down range (which he did when he realized that everyone was watching and waiting). It didn't escalate beyond an uncomfortable moment between us, but it did get me wondering about how best to approach these situations.

Thoughts?

Mike

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Anyone who spends time at a range has or will be muzzled. Only two ways to handle it. The nice way or the what the fu$k is wrong with you way. I’ve responded both ways. New shooters maybe take a nicer approach as a teaching moment. But when seasoned shooters do it it’s time to put your big boy pants on and call them out. If my boys are with me and they get flagged I usually opt for option #2.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I feel for you but this is not going to work out well for you without authorization.

I agree, just depends on how receptive the other person (offender) is to safety advice and procedures. I'd give it a try, some shooters just simply don't know better. If they get offensive or aggressive, I'd just walk away (no direct authority).

Being "muzzled" at a shooting range is no joke, and should never happen. This is why I avoid the range on the weekends/busier (I do understand for most, this isn't an option). I have been shooting at Nick's in Garyville for as long as he has been open at that location (maybe 15-20 years) and shooters during the week are usually long time shooters, well schooled/trained.
    Been 4 or 5 years since I have been at a shooting range on a weekend. Or a crowded, busy range.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Hey guys,

I'm becoming something of a regular at the Sherburne range, and for the most part I love it there. Most of the time the place is empty and I have it to myself, but I'm always happy to share with others; it is a public range, after all, and the people I meet tend to be pretty great.

The only real downside to Sherburne is the poor etiquette and safety that some people demonstrate. When going cold it's not unusual for someone to still be handling their firearm, or for people to exhibit poor muzzle control on "unloaded" guns, etc.

I'm an RSO and I'm happy to play that role at the range, but I'm wondering if people would see that as me being a jerk? I don't really want to do that (I'm there to shoot, not to referee others), but in the interest of safety I'd much rather take that extra minute to police the line, than to not do that and risk an accident.

Last weekend the range was going cold, and a guy had his revolver with the cylinder closed and the muzzle facing back towards the parking lot. He insisted that the gun was empty and "safe," and I insisted that he open the cylinder and point the muzzle down range (which he did when he realized that everyone was watching and waiting). It didn't escalate beyond an uncomfortable moment between us, but it did get me wondering about how best to approach these situations.

Thoughts?

Mike

Pfft that's nothing compared to the middle east gents driving a black Nissan sentry,Those dudes know nothing about gun safety!!!

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm not sure what was meany by "authorization." I understand that the range is self-policing and I don't have any official authority, but I can't imagine anyone minding having a person play the role of RSO.

I guess I'll continue to do what I do, politely and respectfully, and if someone has a big problem with it I'll probably just leave.

Mike

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    No RO at a public range? Must be a lot of gun safety violations, on a regular basis. Sounds like an accident just waiting to happen.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    The 'Rangers' there (Wildlife & Fisheries) make periododic checks thruout the entire facility

dydog4566

LA CHP Instructor # 411
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Greenwell Springs,LA
    You did the right thing! I love Sherbourne myself and have run into the same issues. I'm an RSO as well.
    I try not to be a jerk about it, but won't have someone being unsafe and possibly shoot someone, that be hard to live with if I did nothing. I don't get to go during the week as much as I use too and it do get crowded on Saturday, but the folks I've had to correct have been receptive and never had an incident get unpleasant. Maybe I'll see you out there one day

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I never go to Sherburne on a weekend . Ever . And the WMA guys are usually just mowing or changing out the blasted up target holders and they do that early . I almost never see them later in the day , but I'm generally gone by noon anyway .
    I've had to ask people to stop handling their weapon before I walk downrange but so far it's never gotten ugly . If somebody is being a problem , go find one of the WMA guys and let them handle it .

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    That is a tough one. Are there any posted rules you can refer them to? I sometimes think they are too strict at Honey Island but then when I leave I think to myself how I am glad they are strict and I didn’t see anybody get hurt. Unfortunately, you never know what kind of reaction you might get but like I said if there are posted rules at least you could point to that as some sort of authority. Stay safe.

cb8180

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    I avoid the place on the weekends and during deer season. I remember a few years back a group of punks were on the pistol line calling people **** and bowing up to them while jumping up and down shooting their guns sideways at nothing. I should have said something but I just packed up and left. My rule now is if there are more than three vehicles in the parking area I turn around and go home.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    No RO at a public range? Must be a lot of gun safety violations, on a regular basis. Sounds like an accident just waiting to happen.

I've never been to a public range where there is an RSO.

I used to go to Sherburne all the time but I have not been back to Sherburne since they put that stupid baffle up. I quit shooting my long guns for several years but I have an application submitted to join Palo Alto in the spring.

Last edited:

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    I used to go to Sherburne a lot but then a new younger crowd started to frequent , you know the mid twenty, plastic wonder nine , empty the complete magazine as fast as they can pull the trigger . Their range etiquette was sorely lacking.
    I started spending more time waiting for them to put up, take down or look at their targets... Drive all that way and would get to shoot little. I'm not about to get up in someones face and tell them what to do and how to do it...I don't have a badge or uniform and they have loaded guns.
    I now go to Precision Firearms Indoor Range , it cost me a few bucks but it has a/c and heat , can't get rained on, the automatic target holder brings the target out and back to me (less walking) and I get a stall all to myself.
    Free is nice but right now pay for shooting is better.
    Gary

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I used to frequent Sherburne .
    From Denham Springs it's kinda a haul , now I frequent MCTA . Less bubba's .

would you tell me a bit about MCTA? I viewed their website pics but....do they have like shooting benches avail at the 100 and 200 yard rifle ranges? (I'm a rifle lefty) All i see in the pics are guys laying on the ground.
    Do they have target stands too? I might make the trip to try out the 200 yard range. $10 all day, great price. Anything else I need to know? Thx.

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    That is a tough one. Are there any posted rules you can refer them to? I sometimes think they are too strict at Honey Island but then when I leave I think to myself how I am glad they are strict and I didn’t see anybody get hurt. Unfortunately, you never know what kind of reaction you might get but like I said if there are posted rules at least you could point to that as some sort of authority. Stay safe.

Yes, the rules are posted:

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/shooting-range/sherburne-shooting-range

Interestingly, the first rule says that "All users must abide by range officer directions (if present)." I wonder who qualifies as the "range officer?"

The main rule that I see get broken is "All firearms must be unloaded with the actions open unless on the firing line and the range is cleared for live fire." Too many people handle their guns when the range is cold ... it's why I make a habit of walking the line and checking actions and (politely) reminding people not to handle their weapons while the range is cold. Most people seem to appreciate that.

Mike

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Yes, the rules are posted:

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/shooting-range/sherburne-shooting-range

Interestingly, the first rule says that "All users must abide by range officer directions (if present)." I wonder who qualifies as the "range officer?"

The main rule that I see get broken is "All firearms must be unloaded with the actions open unless on the firing line and the range is cleared for live fire." Too many people handle their guns when the range is cold ... it's why I make a habit of walking the line and checking actions and (politely) reminding people not to handle their weapons while the range is cold. Most people seem to appreciate that.

Mike

Are you a range officer at Honey Island?

Top Bottom