Thoughts on a Shield .40

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Just picked up a like new S&W Shield in .40S&W the other day but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I've owned the a Shield 9mm in the past and liked it.... but now I have the .40S&W Shield.

Any Shield 40 owners out there? What are your thoughts on it? Is it your EDC? Pros and cons?

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I bet you will go back to the 9mm. Its seems like a pretty common trend in my experiences with selling them. 40 in that platform has a noticable amount of zip to the recoil. Shoot it and let us know what you think!

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    A Shield .40 was my EDC pistol for a while. Loved it. Carried for a couple of years before I switched back to a hammer fired carry gun (which as you may remember is a 908 that I got from some cool musician). I'm one of those weirdos who absolutely love the .40 caliber cartridge. So for me, the Shield in .40 was a no-brainer. Had a 9mm and sold it. Like RCM192 said, go shoot it and see how you like it. If you don't like it, I may have a little bit of room left in my family to reintroduce a Shield .40 back into the family/carry rotation... I honestly regret letting her go, but for some reason I got re-hooked on carrying hammer fired.

EightySix

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Shield 40 for me too, but I find the recoil a little snappy after 20 or so rounds. My advice is to get the Talon grip tape for it, like night and day.

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    +1 for the Talon grip tape. Works wonders on small pistols.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    .40 has snappy snappy snappy recoil. Did I mention its snappy?

The smaller the gun, the snappier it is. I personally don't think you'll like the Shield 40 as much as the 9.

40 is a dying caliber.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    .40 has snappy snappy snappy recoil. Did I mention its snappy?

The smaller the gun, the snappier it is. I personally don't think you'll like the Shield 40 as much as the 9.

40 is a dying caliber.

People and departments jumped ship like over night on 40. And i picked up a couple 40 pistols really cheap. 40 s&w will be around for another 50 years. Its not like night and day between 9mm and 40 recoil, geez. Shoot some 115 gr 9mm +P ammo. If its recoil is too much for ya, maybe a .25acp or .22LR might suit ur sensitive needs better.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    People and departments jumped ship like over night on 40. And i picked up a couple 40 pistols really cheap. 40 s&w will be around for another 50 years. Its not like night and day between 9mm and 40 recoil, geez. Shoot some 115 gr 9mm +P ammo. If its recoil is too much for ya, maybe a .25acp or .22LR might suit ur sensitive needs better.

Adding to this...go shoot it. If it's to much recoil I've got a Sig Sauer Pistol in .22LR I'll trade ya for the shield. Lol

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I laugh at the anti 40 hype. Mostly because it’s just hype but largely because it’s bringing ammo prices down and I have benefitted from it with some good handgun deals thrown in my lap. I’ve been avidly shooting .40 S&W since Beretta and HK built their first .40 cal handgun offerings. I still own and shoot plenty of 9mm weapons as well. I do understand the 9mm cartridge has come a long way, but it has not surpassed the performance of a bigger faster bullet and it never will. Cuz physics...
    Most full size .40 cal handguns have a 13-16 round capacity with a flush fitting mag so the *twice as many rounds* argument is about as weak as all those tender wrist shooters out there complaining about recoil.
    I would agree that for small, deep concealed carry weapons, 9mm is most likely a better choice for obvious reasons, but I’d also recommend going with a lighter load in those guns since most folks cannot get a full solid grip on them and any reduction in recoil would be gratuitous.
    That is not to say that I would rule out a single stack .40 for carry, likely one less round...
    If a person can’t manage recoil, decides not to work to overcome recoil, or counts on spray and pray technique for armed
    defenses situations, a 9mm handgun might be the best they can do. And the hype is the same thing as always, an attempt to deal with other ways of thinking.
    Btw, my Glock 23 and 22 both have felt recoil that’s heavier than my Beretta 96 pistols. My 96’s and 92’s feel the same to me. I honestly can’t tell the difference in recoil. My HK P7M10 has a pretty good snap to it but my USP 40 shoots like a 9mm.
    I enjoy shooting Desert Eagle in 44mag and when I take it out I generally shoot a couple boxes. I’d say the recoil is greater than any of my .40 cal handguns, but not too snappy.
    In essence, a 9mm is not a better man stopper. It is the answer to the inability to proficiently shoot the .40

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    .40 S&W: The Round that can't catch a break. :dogkeke:

The charges against it truly go full circle: From jokes about "short & weak" to "it's too snappy"....But as someone said above- it's not going away, anytime soon. If past history is any indicator, the FBI may wake up one day and decide the 9mm is insufficient- again. :doh:

FWIW, my niece carries a Shield in .40....She is around 5 foot-nothing and 105 lbs- and she shoots that pistol very well. The added recoil doesn't seem to bother her. Yes, it's recoil is a bit more noticeable compared to 9mm- but a wrist breaker it's not.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Lotta good commentary there, Mag. But in defense, ur Beretta weighs 8 ozs heavier than my G22, unloaded. And its a very simple equation really, specific round muzzle energy versus handgun weight and frame design factors. Mostly the handgun weight tho versus the potential round muzzle energy (velocity x projectile weight).

ur suggestion for a lighter 40 load is good, I thought of that after my somewhat sarcastic response above. For training purposes, a lower velocity FMC load, where u might shoot 30+ rounds in a session, with the smaller Shield models. And the grip tape has got to help.

Last edited:

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    The G27 was my go to for a minute until it started feeling like a brick on my hip all day. Previously, I carried a 642 with +P loads but have since moved on from that. True, the Sheld .40 is lighter but definitely not a wrist breaker. Follow up shots are on point if you do what you're supposed to do on the initial shot.

Last edited:

Newbie21

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    ive owned the .40 and didnt quite like it. traded it for a 9mm and loved it. i think it just all comes down to how much recoil you would like to put up with. follow up shots were easier with the 9mm for me. but if you do your part and train with either then its fine.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Awesome! We need to do a meme! LMAO

Ask and you shall receive :) (my first ever meme)

t0ttvin1ddky85x1efhc.jpg

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish

Nice bait.

I shoot .357, .44 & .45 almost exclusively, however, I recognize .40's recoil over 9.

The .40 was a compromise to begin with and an answer to a question nobody asked.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I don’t think .40 S&W is going anywhere either. When you look at the ammo shelf in any gun shop or sporting goods section, the 2 pistol calibers you see the most are 9mm and 40. To say it’s a dying caliber is about as far fetched as Hillary Clinton winning the presidential election...

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Nice bait.

I shoot .357, .44 & .45 almost exclusively, however, I recognize .40's recoil over 9.

The .40 was a compromise to begin with and an answer to a question nobody asked.

I never said the recoil of 9mm was equal to 40 anywhere in this thread. If you can find that, show me. 40 s&w recoil at worst might be 15% greater than 9mm, and it entirely depends on the loads selected. There is some 9mm 115 gr +p+ out there that has some serious steam. That one guy was talking like shooting 40 was shooting a 357 magnum. I find 40 to be very manageable myself.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    ft lbs energy from Gold Dot 9mm, .40 and .45 which is the most commonly used LEA ammunition.

180gr. is 31% higher than 147gr. and 4% higher than 230gr.
    165gr. is 18% higher than 124+P

No Cherry picking!

Top Bottom