Need a price on a para 1911

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    This is not for sale on forum.

I'm helping out someone in need but I knowlittle about 1911s.

It's a Para Ordinance 1911 GI LTC. Very Good condition from what I can tell in pic. What should she ask for it and what is bottom price she should settle for? A vet is involved and I want to get this right.

rmsqn3m0e020m879t4a.jpg

Last edited:

nwmousegunner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Homer,La.
    I have owned and shot 1911 variations since 1985. I am currently down to two a 1970's Combat Commander Colt and a Para Ordinance P 10. I wouldn't put a price on either one as I don't want to sell them. If you are a member on Gun Broker click on advanced search and you can see what they are currently selling for. My P 10 is an older model that was made in Canada. I added Hogue grips and a Pearce magazine finger extension, all before they brought out the Warthog. In those days they were polished stainless steel on the flats and matte on the other surface. If you need help with Gun Broker pm me as I am currently a member. Fraternally Dave

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Is this a Canadian or a US made Para? From what I've read, the Canadian-made Para guns had some quality control issues (meaning that one gun could be superb and the next a bucket of problems). The American manufacturing seemed to be a lot more consistent.

(caveat: I grew up not far from the Canadian Para plant, and I have absolutely nothing against them. In fact, I'd like to add a Canadian Para to my collection eventually. I'm just relaying what my research has turned up.)

Mike

nwmousegunner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Homer,La.
    I took a few minutes to check Gun Broker sales. There was only one para ordnance matching you description sold during July 2018. It sold for $417 plus shipping and transfer fees. Other models listed as GI 1911's went from $499 to $ 599 plus shipping and transfer. These are sold prices and are not hard to find using advanced search. I can't speak to Paras quality control as my experience is limited to the P 10 I own. It functions fine with my rn lead reloads or Winchester Silver Tip 185 gr hp. I bought it because I was acquiring different size 1911's in .45 acp. I had three full size one was double stack, one Commander and the P10, before I got an Officer sized model my collecting interest changed and I sold all but the Colt Commander and the P 10.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    At the gun show in Gonzales today, I saw three Canadian Para 1911's. They were all the super compact model (not sure of the actual name, but it appears to be some sort of 1911 derivative with a short double-stack magazine. Sort of like a Colt Mustang in .45 ACP). They were asking in the ~$750 range, but my gut told me that this was a very ambitious price, and that to actually move them would require a price drop down to $500 (or lower). And even at that, it would be a bit of an oddball that would need to have the right person walk by.

The gun pictured above appears to be a more conventional Commander sized 1911. My finger-in-the-wind tells me that a fair price would be between $400 and $500, depending on condition, whether the original box/papers are included, etc.

Mike

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Is this a Canadian or a US made Para? From what I've read, the Canadian-made Para guns had some quality control issues (meaning that one gun could be superb and the next a bucket of problems). The American manufacturing seemed to be a lot more consistent.

(caveat: I grew up not far from the Canadian Para plant, and I have absolutely nothing against them. In fact, I'd like to add a Canadian Para to my collection eventually. I'm just relaying what my research has turned up.)

Mike

I thought it was the opposite.... quality was good, until the move to the USA. Which makes sense as the production facility had to be moved to a new location, new plant, new people building the guns, and the bugs needed to be worked out.

Feral45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2015
    Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
    I recently sold a Para-Ordnance P14-40 to a gentleman in Texas for $575. Listed it on GB with a first bid of $400. Had 4 bidders. "The market" decided what I got. There is very little info on older Para's out there. I wish you luck.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I thought it was the opposite.... quality was good, until the move to the USA. Which makes sense as the production facility had to be moved to a new location, new plant, new people building the guns, and the bugs needed to be worked out.

I have never owned a Para, so everything I have to say is third hand information. Calibre Magazine (a Canadian shooting magazine) did a comparison some years back and they were not particularly complimentary of the Canadian-made Paras ... here's their article:

https://calibremag.ca/para-canada-vs-para-usa-did-we-make-them-any-better/

That said, this was just one article looking at two specific guns, so that may or may not be reflective of the whole. At some point I'll pick one up (I enjoy having Canadian-made guns because I grew up there), but it'll need to be a good deal.

Gunmakers aren't all that abundant in Canada, and the fact that an upstart company was able to make a go of it in the 1980's is, in itself, remarkable. Canada doesn't have nearly the handgun culture that the United States does, so I can imagine that the labor pool of capable (and enthusiastic) gunsmiths would be much smaller.

As an aside ... I have a World War 2-era Browning HiPower made by a Canadian company (Inglis) that is now known for making appliances. Pretty it is not, but with a fresh set of springs it's a very reliable and accurate gun that still comes out to the range with me.

Mike

pixfella58

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    Houma, LA

That was my understanding as well, Canadian made = good; early American = not so much. Just my .02...

Top Bottom