To The Guy at Honey Island Rocking the AK Today

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I get that you were having a blast, turning money into noise. I just have to wonder if you wouldn't have MORE fun doing that on a Saturday, instead of a Sunday.:rofl:

Oh, and the guy, yesterday that swagged the .300 AAC round down through the .223 barrel. I'm glad nobody was seriously hurt. Sorry about your gun. Next time don't let children play with your ammo.

Carry on.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Interesting... tell us more.

3993d2a50e52a319c3e19db495f4d91d.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Nope. Got my own range. That’s not even my pic. Just wanted to show that for the record it can happen.

Oh yea. This isn't the first time it's happened.

For those who've never tried, a .300 AAC will chamber, without resistance, in a .223/5.56 chamber.

There in lies the danger.

On Saturday, I'm told, a fellow was shooting both caliber AR's on the rifle range. His child mixed up the ammo and a kaboom resulted.
    Nobody was seriously hurt, other than some powder burns.
    The upper was split in half, as was the bolt carrier.
    I'm told that the round cleared the barrel, and the barrel was not damaged, (I wouldn't want to trust the barrel, or the extension).

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx

For those who've never tried, a .300 AAC will chamber, without resistance, in a .223/5.56 chamber.

There in lies the danger.

On Saturday, I'm told, a fellow was shooting both caliber AR's on the rifle range. His child mixed up the ammo and a kaboom resulted.
    Nobody was seriously hurt, other than some powder burns.
    The upper was split in half, as was the bolt carrier.
    I'm told that the round cleared the barrel, and the barrel was not damaged, (I wouldn't want to trust the barrel, or the extension).
    So he was only able to send one round down range. I wonder if it was an accurate shot? Hmm... no five shot group for that guy.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    It's been too hot for me to make the trip to honey Island, but remember seeing some "kids" firing a AK and AK pistol from the hip on the pistol range. I immediately tried to space myself from them, but when I saw the guy trying to open a box of 7.62x54 and wonder why it doesn't look like it'll fit in his mag. I had to walk over, and help them. Well by the time I got there, he was about to try to single load a round through the ejection port, and I told him to stop and said your rifle takes 7.62.x39

BrandonPle

Gunlover
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Watson
    Oh my gosh !!!
    You mean some one was shooting a gun at a gun range ?!!!
    Whatever do you plan to do about this travesty that has befallen you ??

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I tend to stay away from public ranges for many reasons. Quite a few are listed right here in this thread. And if I get curious I just watch a little YouTube.

Yankchef

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2017
    New Orleans
    If you're at honey island and I'm there I'll be the guy with multiple optic equipped handguns knocking plates down . Probably with the gun in the Pic

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Wanted to ask earlier, what kind of loser blames his kid for his own potentially detrimental mistake with his guns and ammo? He’s a screw up no matter how you look at it, but I’d kinda like to meet him...just so I could say I know somebody who would let his child play with his guns and ammo.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA

Ok, So I didn't believe this, knowing the 5.56 and 300BO rounds fairly well, owning several rifles of both calibers. But I have never tried previously, by accident or otherwise.

So this morning I tried it, and it did just what I thought, a .300 BO round WILL NOT chamber in a 5.56x45mm AR15 readily, or with no resistance. I dropped the BCG three times on the 300 BO round from full rack (same round) and all times the bolt failed to close by approx 1/2 inch. You'd have to ram her home with the forward assist to close the bolt. It has to drive the bullet further into the case, or deform a .30 cal projectile into a .223 chamber taper. I didn't go that far, no thanks.

So you really have to f**k up to pull this off, in several ways. See the attached pics.
    Notice the projectile deformation ring on the round where it contacted the 5.56 chamber.

oyk5wk176awoqbn1bi9r.jpg

This is where the BCG stopped 3x on the 300 BO round.

1p7mu9hnpkfthnduc1.jpg

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom