Looking for smith to shorten barrel and...... in Monroe Area

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 101guns

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Monroe, LA
    I have a 26" bull barrel on a .308. Looking to cut it down to about 20" and thread it.
    Someone suggested Diamond Guns in Swartz. Agree? What are you paying for such a job these days? Thanks

eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    As many hundreds of barrels I fix a year from people who "Have a lahte" id be very hesitant on who I take a gun to. Its quite pitiful the level of work a lot of fly by night gun shops put out.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    As many hundreds of barrels I fix a year from people who "Have a lahte" id be very hesitant on who I take a gun to. Its quite pitiful the level of work a lot of fly by night gun shops put out.
    Send it to eMGunslinger ^^^ and you will have peace of mind it will be done right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I have a 26" bull barrel on a .308. Looking to cut it down to about 20" and thread it.
    Someone suggested Diamond Guns in Swartz. Agree? What are you paying for such a job these days? Thanks

I'd buy a new barrel, 20'' bull barrel with a can hanging off it is still heavy to hunt with, Guessing your wanting to hunt with the 308?

101guns

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Monroe, LA
    Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I want to hunt with the guns but it is too heavy to walk for with it and too long to easy manuever in a box stand....so the decision left to be made now is to cut it or buy a new barrel. Any idea what a competent smith would charge to swap out the barrels? Thanks

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    What type of rifle? There are a lot more gunsmiths out there that I'd trust to swap a barrel then to turn & thread it. I have a lathe and some experience turning threads, but I won't thread a barrel. A mans got to know his limitations. You have to use a four jaw chuck and index off the rifleings. Most shops either don't have the experience or just won't take the time to do it properly.

A coworker had a ban era AR with a plain barrel. He wanted it threaded for a can & took it to a local shop. Yeah, they threaded it. About 1/16" off center! He wanted me to fix it, but as it was a 16" barrel I couldn't circumcise it. He ended up buying a new threaded barrel and I installed it for him. I got a steak dinner out of the deal.

Top Bottom