Offshore fishing anyone ??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BluewaterLa

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Slidell La
    Wondering if there are any members here that enjoy Offshore fishing.
    I'm one that is at peace out on the water especially Offshore, just something about it is soothing.
    Blue water fishing is like an addiction more than a hobby for me.
    Have not been in a good while and just wanted to see if anyone is willing to share some info or pictures of their catch.
    I've launched out of Grand Isle a few times but most always out of Venice.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Never been, I hear if you have the means it's awesome. We surf fished for years, now fish in the marsh in a small boat

BluewaterLa

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Slidell La
    Offshore fishing is another addiction of mine, That salinity gets into your veins and takes hold of you.
    My boat is in need of some maintenance PM replacements / repairs being its a 2006 but not anything of concern.
    Engine timing belts, full tune ups (just because), Five new batteries, New windless anchor, All new thru-hull fittings (its time), All new hoses from thru-hull fittings to generator and AC system just to name a few things.
    I like to keep things in top condition and replace them before becoming an issue since we regularly go out to the limit of my insurance of 110 miles of the coastline.

It's been a good minute since the last trip out.
    I've been keeping an eye out for any local meets with members here so I can possibly meet some more like minded folks.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I've never been offshore fishing but would love to try it. I've done a lot of inshore fishing (lake salvador, n of grand isle, etc...).

So, who's going to organize a bs.com charter trip?

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    When I do get time to fish, I love inshore fishing. I've been offshore and loved it, but can't afford that hobby. I have a trip booked later this month in Key Largo to scratch the itch.

Last edited:

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    Love offshore fishing and diving the oil rigs. I enjoy the peace out there and it is always an adventure. Mostly go on friends' boats, but we had a weather window two weeks ago and my wife and I took the bay boat 26 miles out.

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1533757770.470120.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1533757807.802271.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1533757863.550356.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1533757957.228397.jpg
    Here's some pics from past few weeks

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1533757997.998664.jpg
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1533757997.998664.jpg
      59 KB · Views: 199

Marlin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2015
    Baton Rouge
    Dammit, I can't have YoungMarine out do me! Even though he fishes Way more than me!IMG_0178.JPGIMG_0179.JPGIMG_0180.JPGIMG_0181.JPGIMG_0182.JPGIMG_0183.JPGIMG_0184.JPGIMG_0185.JPG

And the last pic is the magic bait we use! Fear the rubber chicken!

BluewaterLa

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Slidell La
    Great photos guys, thanks for sharing.

The expense of offshore fishing really is the burden of the boat owner.
    Other than loosing 200 or more in tackle per trip sometimes the overall expense of the trip is not that bad once all said and done.
    for example a 22 hour trip with engines running constantly, factor in Diesel to pull boat there and back, couple hundred LBS Ice, Bait / chum, ''beverages'', and fuel cost split 5 ways with even paying giraffe A$$ high dock prices for fuel cost was still low.
    Talking 127.50 per person.
    Now take into account that did not cover the loss I took on tackle Nor pays for any maintenance, insurance or other but that is not the point of owning such a large vessel.
    Its about the meat haul, the experience and time spent being at peace in the middle of nowhere.

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    Yea people pay much more than $127.50 for a guided inshore trip to catch 5 redfish. Lost tackle is part of the game, you should add that cost in with fuel, ice, food, drink, and bait as you are also maintaining offshore rods/reels in addition to the many boat costs. When you get an experienced crew lined up they will start bringing tackle items that are frequently lost. The hard part I've noticed for most offshore boat owners is finding good crew members that can fish hardcore all day or weekend especially in rough seas or bad weather, pay their share of expenses, and can run the boat so owner isn't behind the wheel the whole time.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    $128 a head?! Man, I'd go out every weekend if someone needed an extra guy for that price. And I'd bring whatever tackle I planned on using. We looked into a guided trip instate. Inshore for trout and redfish ran between $400 - $600. Offshore was anywhere between $2,000 and $2,800. That doesn't include lodging, food, or fuel to get there and back.

A full day offshore trip in the Keys ran $1,100. At that price plus airfare, rental car, lodging, and food we booked a 4 day trip for 3 people for an extra couple hundred dollars. That also includes 2 days of diving.

Last edited:

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I was thinking more along the lines of everyone throwing in $200 to cover ancillary/tackle costs and it would be great. I looked online and that would be a steal comapred to other charters I have seen. I think I would be down for that party especially if I could get some tuna out of it.

BluewaterLa

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Slidell La
    What we can do is have a meet and greet in the upcoming months as the boat is getting all of its maintenance / repairs done. I do like to ''know '' the folks I'm about to take 100 miles out LOL.
    Usually we Launch the vessel and dock for the night, listening to near by live band or just listen to the radio while grilling some steaks and enjoying a couple cold ones. Hit the hay in the comfort of the Air conditioned cabin and wake up before the mad dash for ice / fuel, this way we load up on the amount of ice needed and begin to cook some wild hog sausage for breakfast.
    Out to the jump and down the river and will not come back till night fall OR just stay out all night if that was planned or agreed upon.

Being a pleasure / personal use boat I can not legally make money off of anyone so raising the ''cost'' to cover anything other than what is agreed upon among friends to split is a no go.
    Yes we split the cost of the Diesel towing the boat there and back.
    Launch fee
    Ice, fuel used, Drinks, Bait.
    I've had some good friends come out with me that know the cost of the tackle and after seeing what is lost they usually go buy some to replace it or throw a $20 or so at me afterward well knowing I'll just buy up tons more LOL.

I know full well the cost of maintaining the Boat, trailer, Fishing reels / rods and tackle plus the insurance on top of the Mortgage. Still for the amount I would pay to charter a trip a few times per year would be less money for sure but then I get way more use and memories from owning this sucker so its a win.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I wouldn't mind doing the meet and greet but I am quite a ways away from you guys that live on the east side of LA so would need some advance warning and time to drive.

Let me know what you think a fair split is for the supplies and fuel includng lost tackle. I haven't gone offshore fishing before so I wouldn't know what to buy to replace what is lost.

Top Bottom