Private Sale of Handgun to Individual 18-20?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • northern

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Is the private sale of a handgun to an individual aged 18-20 legal?

LA RS 14:95.8 states "Illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile" applies to those 17 years old or younger, with certain exceptions.

However I am not finding anything in regards to those 18-20 in RS 14:95.1-1.3

The ATF says:

May an individual between the ages of 18 and 21 years of age acquire a handgun from an unlicensed individual who is also a resident of that same State?
    An individual between 18 and 21 years of age may acquire a handgun from an unlicensed individual who resides in the same State, provided the person acquiring the handgun is not otherwise prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A Federal firearms licensee may not, however, sell or deliver a firearm other than a shotgun or rifle to a person the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under 21 years of age.

There may be State or local laws or regulations that govern this type of transaction. Contact the office of your State Attorney General for information on any such requirements.

[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1)]
    https://www.atf.gov/questions-and-a...8-and-21-years-age-acquire-handgun-unlicensed

Again is this legal in Louisiana?

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    How well do you know the individual? Is he/she mature enough to own it? if you have any question back out & say "You have to be 21". I received my first pistol (a .22 revolver) right before I turned 15. A year later it was in the company of a 1911, a P38, and a Colt Trooper in .357. But that was long ago in a galaxy far far away.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    ^ do that nowadays, and a liberals head would explode. Lol...

And this would be bad how? This is not the planet I grew up on, I've been transported to an alternate evil universe.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    The day I turned 15 I got my drivers license. Two days later I was driving a 1979 Z28 with a Ruger Secerity Six in the glove compartment placed there by my dad just in case. Even went to school every day along with multiple pickups that had shotgun racks in the back windows and they weren’t empty. Ahhh the good old days. It’s a new world my friends and I don’t like it.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Yeah, I remember as a kid (34 now), riding down the road and seeing rifles/shotguns in pickup truck Windows... I only wish I could've been old enough at the time to appreciate that..

It’s up to you guys to try to get it back. Don’t give up. Don’t wish age on yourself it will happen fast enough all on its own.

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    It is not illegal. I asked the same question a year or so ago. Its not prohibited by Louisiana. Louisiana recently shot down a bill that attempted to make it illegal. That said its up to you. It is illegal for 18-20 to purchase a handgun from an ffl fwiw.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    I bought my first pistol at the age of 15 (before the GCA of 1968) used it to shoot a dog that used to chase me when riding my cushman scooter, he could catch me and did bite me

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Actually turned out good, Charlie, dead dog, ride in peace, sheriff made me bring gun back to the store but got my money back too

- - - Updated - - -

And that was waaaaaay before the 'cat daddy' days

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Actually turned out good, Charlie, dead dog, ride in peace, sheriff made me bring gun back to the store but got my money back too

- - - Updated - - -

All well that ends well.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

- - - Updated - - -

There's a ham over around Lake Charles that has been doing Cat Daddy stuff. FCC fined him $18k a few weeks ago. I told the Cat Daddy story to the guys. Well not all of the story of course. ;)

Top Bottom