Need last minute backpacking suggestion ASAP!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HogHunter1203

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    SWLA
    I do a back-country fly fishing/back packing trip every year. The last several years, we’ve done the San Juan Wilderness in southern, CO. This year, the plan was to do the Flat Top Wilderness southwest of Steamboat Springs. Problem is, both of those places are on fire.

So I made a last minute change to visit the Black Hills, only to realize this is Sturgis Rally week. Which frankly would be awesome to visit, but not at all what I want to do this particular week.

The short of it is, I’m leaving tonight and need suggestions for a place to fish/backpack ASAP. Mountains preferred. Also prefer less than 30 hrs of one way driving if possible.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gerberman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Big Bend National Park, Guadalupe National Park, both about 18 hrs from here and about 6 or 7 from each other.

I do a back-country fly fishing/back packing trip every year. The last several years, we’ve done the San Juan Wilderness in southern, CO. This year, the plan was to do the Flat Top Wilderness southwest of Steamboat Springs. Problem is, both of those places are on fire.

So I made a last minute change to visit the Black Hills, only to realize this is Sturgis Rally week. Which frankly would be awesome to visit, but not at all what I want to do this particular week.

The short of it is, I’m leaving tonight and need suggestions for a place to fish/backpack ASAP. Mountains preferred. Also prefer less than 30 hrs of one way driving if possible.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I am not sure on the fishing part but hear the Appalachian trail would be nice. Also it is only 17 hours one way per Google going to VA.

GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.
    My old stomping grounds was The Snowy Range in Wyoming. Google Saratoga Wyoming and your there. I used to live in Rawlins and the fishing is our best kept secret. I pass it onto you.

Al

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Boundary waters!!! There are places to hike and the fishing is world class. You could get a canoe and camp and fish for the week.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Little late but... Linville Gorge, NC. Beautiful river at the bottom of a 2000' canyon. Great hiking, fun waterfalls, good rock climbing with easy top rope setups, fishing is known to be good (we didn't have time to fish when I went :( ). Some of the trails down the gorge are rated 'difficult' so pick your route carefully.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom