Oh boy, the liberals are gonna have a field day with this...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • enigmedic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Sep 14, 2010
    New Orleans area
    The sad part is, she was probably a better citizen to her community than many of the natural-born citizens that will be happy to see her leave.

Mike

It looks like now we'll never know. The only thing we know for certain is she has no regard Federal Law. We can safely assume that if in 20 years she didn't pursue an appeal or legal venue to citizenship, she was never going to do it.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    It doesn't state in the article what steps she took between 2001 when her petition was denied and 2013 when her status was discovered. I think that if she had been making efforts and seeking resolution for 12 years, and there was a record of such, a paperwork trail to show her good faith efforts, she might not be in the position she now finds herself. As it stands, it looks like she just decided to "chuck it in the f**k-it bucket" and roll on hoping to be overlooked.

To be clear, I personally think she should be given the chance, but given the above circumstances and huge time of inaction on her part, I see why someone on the enforcement side would see her as just trying to fly under the radar and avoid consequences. Cops see it all the time, "I was gonna go to court and pay that when I got my tax refund but...," or "Well, the dude that sold it to me never called me back to give me the title so I couldn't register it..." If someone's driving a rolling heap of violations but they hand me a stack of dated receipts and letters from the OMV showing that they're working on the problems, I'm not gonna hammer them with a bunch of cites, but when all they have is a faded paper temp tag that has been changed three times with white-out and a Sharpie to keep getting by, I'm probably gonna scratch out a couple for them.

I also wonder what kind of help The Corps' personnel offices might have been able to offer, and if they spent 12 years jumping through hoops there as well or if they just "got by" for 12 years hoping nothing would go wrong.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I’m still in the dark. Her husband served in the US military? Was he a US citizen? If he was and they were married she should be a citizen.
    How does one come into this country, obviously plan to live the rest of their life here and never attempt to gain citizenship?

And lastly, likely most importantly, why have things like this been allowed for so many years when there are laws on the books to prevent the current immigration problems?
    A person who can’t muster the self responsibility to see to their own well being will almost always become a ward of the state. A welfare recipient for no better reason than preference. A burden on society. Lord knows we have a machine that pumps out millions of those every year. We don’t need to order out for more.

Build that freaking wall already...

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I’m still in the dark. Her husband served in the US military? Was he a US citizen? If he was and they were married she should be a citizen.
    How does one come into this country, obviously plan to live the rest of their life here and never attempt to gain citizenship?

And lastly, likely most importantly, why have things like this been allowed for so many years when there are laws on the books to prevent the current immigration problems?
    A person who can’t muster the self responsibility to see to their own well being will almost always become a ward of the state. A welfare recipient for no better reason than preference. A burden on society. Lord knows we have a machine that pumps out millions of those every year. We don’t need to order out for more.

Build that freaking wall already...

Because under Obama (previous 8 years) they turned a blind eye to illegals. Just like New Orleans still does today. Even when they get in a wreck on I-10 driving a bus and kill a fire chief, they still stand behind the illegal. Why are we giving illegals a driver's license? Oh, thx Obama.

Ok, so the woman's husband served in the Marines. Kudos to him, but how does that exempt her from being an illegal? And she had the last 20 years to get this right. Put her on a plane or bus to Mexico, adios!

I don't agree with Trump on several issues, but on illegals and a wall, I'm 100% with him. Build the damned wall and stop the illegal migration completely!

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Trump as been threatening the Dems this week to shutdown the government to get the wall funded. Shutdown the government! Don't waver! Do it!

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Her husband was granted citizenship just days before he was deployed to Iraq. Sounds like he was originally an illegal too.

"Temo (woman's husband) served in the U.S. Marine Corps and later joined the Army National Guard in Florida. He came to the U.S. from Mexico as a child and was naturalized days before he was deployed to Iraq. The couple has two daughters, ages 9 and 16, both born in the United States."

link to article: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/iraq-war-veteran-s-wife-faces-deportation-friday-family-asks-n897031

"She checked in regularly with immigration authorities during former President Barack Obama’s administration, and says she was always told she is not a criminal and has nothing to worry about."

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Why are illegals serving in the US armed forces??? are we that hard up for volunteers?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Man that sure was a sorry assed 8 years for our country...what a hit we took. I thank God that Killary did not find her way into the whitehouse (or any other government position!) and the Dem train got derailed. Lord knows where we’d all be by now if she had won. I hope we never find out either.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Out of curiosity, how many of you have immigrated to another country? Not many, I’ll wager.

I immigrated to the US in 2001. We did it legally, but god damn was it a cluster f*ck of paperwork, conflicting information, useless petty bureaucrats, disjointed agencies that weren’t coordinated, etc. if it was hard for us, I can only imagine what it’s like for people that aren’t university educated, well-to-do, and with English as their first language.

The bit about illegals typically becoming wards of the state is unfounded crap. The hardest workers I know are immigrants. If you live in a house that was built in the past 30 years, eat fresh fruit, enjoy nice landscaping, or benefit from any number of other low paying jobs, then thank an immigrant.

I don’t love the idea of anyone breaking the law, but imaging that illegal immigrants are some special brand of evil is just another shade of bigotry. Spend a bit of time in a third world country if you’re curious why these people are desperate to leave. It’s not pretty.

Yes, we need to vet immigrants. Yes, we need to make the process thorough. Yes, we need to protect our social safety nets from abuse. And yes, we also need to remember that these are just people too, and there but for the grace of God go I.

Mike

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    A person who can’t muster the self responsibility to see to their own well being will almost always become a ward of the state.
    That was my statement. I didn’t say immigrants or illegal immigrants were destined to soak up our tax dollars. I also was not trying to single out any one race or nationality. I know at one point the Obama regime was importing *refugees* from middle eastern countries and giving them free housing and food and over 2k a month.
    We do need to protect our borders. We don’t need to allow criminals to set up residence here, but many already have. People can cross our borders and work harder than any citizen and yet still cost the tax payer in the form of free healthcare, liability for anything from motor vehicle accidents to legal proceedings, etc. I’m truly not speaking biased, these are facts that we need to face. If I had not been a tax payer for the past 39 years non stop I guess I wouldn’t have any room to talk, but it’s my money and now that our government seems to finally be taking into account the cost I’m gonna have to support the idea of enforcing the laws. I’d also like to see some welfare reform in the form of any able bodied EBT recipient doing some sort of public service, drug abusing or criminal recipients forfeit the benefits, and those who could work but just wanna free ride should say goodbye to the free **** as well.

Because it’s not free. It’s costing the people who work for a living. The people who keep this country from becoming a third world country.

Again, I’m not saying all or even the majority of immigrants are criminals or bound to cost the tax payers, but many are.
    I looked into moving my family to another country within the past few years. I could have been accepted on a visa due to mine and my wife’s professions but the process for citizenship was stringent and there were challenges that we felt may have turned into impossibilities. Why should it be any different here in the US? It shouldn’t.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Out of curiosity, how many of you have immigrated to another country? Not many, I’ll wager.

I immigrated to the US in 2001. We did it legally, but god damn was it a cluster f*ck of paperwork, conflicting information, useless petty bureaucrats, disjointed agencies that weren’t coordinated, etc. if it was hard for us, I can only imagine what it’s like for people that aren’t university educated, well-to-do, and with English as their first language.

The bit about illegals typically becoming wards of the state is unfounded crap. The hardest workers I know are immigrants. If you live in a house that was built in the past 30 years, eat fresh fruit, enjoy nice landscaping, or benefit from any number of other low paying jobs, then thank an immigrant.

I don’t love the idea of anyone breaking the law, but imaging that illegal immigrants are some special brand of evil is just another shade of bigotry. Spend a bit of time in a third world country if you’re curious why these people are desperate to leave. It’s not pretty.

Yes, we need to vet immigrants. Yes, we need to make the process thorough. Yes, we need to protect our social safety nets from abuse. And yes, we also need to remember that these are just people too, and there but for the grace of God go I.

Mike

If the process is broken, fix the process. Don't just ignore the process because it's difficult.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    If the process is broken, fix the process. Don't just ignore the process because it's difficult.

Our representatives would rather bitch about Trump/Obama and get ready for reelection than do the hard work needed.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

I agree. I would love to see our country get serious about immigration reform, instead of the mindless chatter about building a wall.

As for immigrants costing taxpayer money: what is the difference between them costing us money and American citizens costing us money? We have plenty of deadbeat natural born citizens. Does it really matter that they happened to be born on US soil? And to that end, taxpayers subsidize all sorts of things that they shouldn’t. General Motors was subsidized. Corn farmers get subsidized. Heck, churches that don’t pay taxes get subsidized.

The fallacy of *enforcing the law* is that the law doesn’t always make sense. We do ourself no favors when we hide behind the veil of *enforcing the law* without really understanding what we’re enforcing. Ergo, my question about how many people have actually immigrated.

Mike

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    When my sister married a Scotsman 30 years ago, they had to jump through all kinds of hoops to get his green card, even to the point that Immigration almost deported him the week of the wedding just to see if this was a sham marriage. He's been a great husband, father, and resident alien ever since. It's to our benefit to get the Immigration laws fixed and fixed right.

And I say that as the proud descendant of many immigrants from all over Europe.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I agree. I would love to see our country get serious about immigration reform, instead of the mindless chatter about building a wall.

As for immigrants costing taxpayer money: what is the difference between them costing us money and American citizens costing us money? We have plenty of deadbeat natural born citizens. Does it really matter that they happened to be born on US soil? And to that end, taxpayers subsidize all sorts of things that they shouldn’t. General Motors was subsidized. Corn farmers get subsidized. Heck, churches that don’t pay taxes get subsidized.

The fallacy of *enforcing the law* is that the law doesn’t always make sense. We do ourself no favors when we hide behind the veil of *enforcing the law* without really understanding what we’re enforcing. Ergo, my question about how many people have actually immigrated.

Mike

Without a substantial and massive wall we will never truly secure our southern border with Mexico, so if you believe we should let just anybody walk, swim, or crawl their way into the USA, then maybe its "mindless chatter" to you.

So do you believe we should just welcome anybody with open arms who wish to come to America?

I don't believe 95% of illegals are evil. I harbor no hate whatsoever for them. And no doubt they execute many jobs here that most of our citizens don't want, or won't do. Most just want to be safe, earn a living, provide for their family, and prosper. And you are right, we do have a lot of "home grown freeloaders". I have befriended many naturalized citizens, and all are hard working, family type people.
    But have you ever taken a look at what is going on in Mexico, a mere 2 or 3 miles from our border? The epic violent crime and drug trade on the streets?

So it really comes down to are we going have open borders for any or all to enter the USA?

Or are we to have secure borders, and have immigrants follow an established procedure and enter our country lawfully? Where they can prove or document just who they are, and what their motive or motives are for entering the USA. And more importantly, we can check or verify exactly just who is entering our country, every single one.

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    So do you believe we should just welcome anybody with open arms who wish to come to America?

I already said that people need to be carefully vetted.

I also think we should be sympathetic to people who were born into terrible circumstances, and that most people deserve the benefit of the doubt. We all start out in this world on the arm of someone else, and I see no reason why that compassion shouldn’t extend to those that didn’t have the benefit of being born American citizens.

So, welcome? Yes. Vet carefully? Yes. These are not mutually exclusive concepts.

I think we’re violently agreeing on most of this. I just don’t think that the current administration is doing anything to effect this. Nobody wants to take o the difficult issue of actually reforming the broken system. Obama’s approach was to administratively ignore it. Trump’s is to weaponize xenophobia. Both are wrong.

Mike

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Mike, this is respective dialog on my part. Your experiences and perception are different than mine, and i welcome that.

I do agree both Obama and Trump are extremes, and that is a real shame. The pendulum has swung, and its swung big time. There has to be compromise. Trump seems pent on unraveling anything Obama accomplished while POTUS. Without compromise and dialog, we shall never achieve much, as exhibited in our federal legislative branch.

Top Bottom