Dead outlet in my garage!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Savgun

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 14, 2014
    Pearl River, LA United States
    I am not sure what happened, but the outlet above my reloading bench has died. It is not the outlet and I have no power to it. No C/Bs are tripped and I cycled all off/on again and no go! The box is 5 feet from the outlet and no joy.

Anyone in the Pearl River aera know anything about home wiring?

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    There's only a few possibilities here, but they all require some sort of tool and some knowledge of electrics ... so if you're not sure, it's safer to get an electrician in and save yourself the risk of electrocution.

1. Bad outlet. You'd need some sort of current meter or line tester to see if the wire in the box is live, and it's simply not being delivered to the prongs in the outlet properly. Odds are that this is the problem, and it's the easiest repair to make.
    2. Bad circuit breaker. Easiest way to test this is to swap the questionable breaker with another breaker that you know is working. Most circuit breakers have the hot wire screwed into them, so this swap will also require tools and know-how.
    3. Bad wire. The least likely, but it's possible. You'd need to check each wire with a continuity meter to diagnose this.

Mike

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Im not an electrician but Im sure the wire coming out the breaker does not make the breaker hot, snapping it in the panel does. So to check a breaker just test the wire coming out, if on and hot its good. I know thats not how to test a breaker, but that will tell you if current is passing through it

Savgun

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 14, 2014
    Checked for power using a volt meter at the outlet and had none. I removed the outlet and checked for power and had none. Checked the C/B's all are in. Tripped all and reset all C/Bs and no power. Checked all GFI and all are in. I even checked all outlets to verify they had power.

I need to check a few more things. Will check in later.

m1k3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Central, LA
    Do you have any other outlets in the garage? You may have a GFCI in the garage that you have overlooked. If you house was built since about the 1980s, the garage receptacles should be on a GFCI circuit. They are often daisy chained around the garage with only one GFCI.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I just remodeled a house and the wiring in that thing was a disaster but one thing I learned is that not all outlets are wired they way they should be wired and weird **** can and will happen with the wiring.. Check and see if you have a GFCI somewhere upstream of the outlet that is bad. One GFCI in the circuit protects all others downstream so in a possibly wet location like a garage the electrician or previous homeowner may have put a GFCI somewhere in the garage that is tripped. The only other thing would be to maybe check the attic and see if for some reason something is screwy in there. Also one of those voltage detectors from the hardware store is good but I have found that if you have a live wire next to a dead one the dead one can sometimes pick up the voltage from the live one and will give a false positive on the voltage detector.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Are there any other outlets on that circuit breaker? Are they hot? If they are all dead, then replace the breaker. If some are hot, then you likely have either a bad outlet or a loose/broken wire. I'd be happy to look at it for you, but I'm up in the opposite corner of the state.

geauxbubba

"No Comment"
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Lacombe
    Check every GFCI in the house .

Do what dantheman says. Go around the house outside and inside and see if any of your GFCI are tripped. I had the same problem. It was a GFCI on the opposite side of the house.

I have a Greenlee GT-11 voltage detector that is safe and works well. I think I bought it at Home Depot.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Similar issue like the rest of us. My Upstairs master bathroom's plug wasn't working (I needed it to charge my toothbrush). I checked all around the room, found a GFCI and NOTHING, I pull the access panel to the jacuzzi tub, there's a GFCI plug in there, still nothing. I flipped the circuit breaker I have upstairs, nothing still. So I call an electrician.

He comes over and says you probably have a tripped GFCI since it was working prior. Looked around my house and resets all of them (upstairs and downstairs) and who would of thought that the GFCI downstairs in the half bath/guest bathroom under the stairs was the one that controls my upstairs master bathroom. It cost me a good bit of money to have someone come over for such a quick fix, so I had him install an additional outlet for me outside and replace a breaker in my box, so I can get my money's worth for the "trip".

Savgun

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 14, 2014
    So I checked all of the GFCI outlets, tripped and reset all and no joy. A total of three outlets are not working (one in garage and two on front of house) All others are working. I may try to swap the C/B's and see if the issue follows.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Any other outlets down?

Is there power to the outlet? I've had outlets go bad.. put a volt meter on the actual wires, don't trust the outlet.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    3 outlets -- you lost a circuit (yeah I know, Thanks Capt. Obvious!)

Also, I would recheck your breakers -- some breakers trip and it doesn't look like they are tripped, I'd reset it. If that didn't work, I put a tick tracer on the hot side to make sure the breaker is good...…

I'm assuming you have no sub panel anywhere....???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k95_Rnjr_DY

JB-Glock21

Old School
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Have you checked for power at the suspect breaker? And, are the other "Dead" receptacles on the same circuit? If yes...suspect the breaker.

However, how comfortable are you working in the breaker panel HOT?

PS--I am a qualified Industrial/Residental Electrician....hope this helps.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom