Circuit breakers in your house

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Most of us never give circuit breakers a second thought unless they trip. They sit there for years waiting for an overload to keep us safe. But they can fail. If you move into a new house, or if you think you may have taken a lightning strike, trip the breakers off one at a time and make sure that circuit goes cold. Don't just trip the lever off and assume it's cold, go look! If the breaker is marked "Living room lights", turn them on then cut the breaker. Are they still on? You don't need much in the way of test equipment for outlets, just plug a table lamp in. Why? I've seen several occurrences where lightning had welded the contacts inside the circuit breaker, and it will never trip! Two of these resulted in the house burning down from an electrical overload.

Unless you are familiar and comfortable with electricity I would not recommend removing the cover of the breaker panel. If you're in doubt, don't.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It's also safe to assume if the panel is more than 5 years old, it needs to be inspected by a licensed electrician anyway. In Louisiana particularly, corrosion and loading can loosen the terminals over time, increasing current draw and increasing fire hazard- even if the breakers are still operable.

Some of the newer arc-fault and GFI breakers have internal diagnostics to test the breaker function- they'll tell you if it's bad.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    ... and breakers replaced after about 30 years... that's about the point I start seeing house fires.

Oh and don't trust someone else's labels! I turned off one to our master bath, then a second. Then touched the outlet! Nope... stupid older houses.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    If testing an outlet to see which breaker disconnects it, a radio plugged into it works well. Saves a lot of back and forth. Of course there is the buddy system and electricity is one of those thing I don't like to do with out a second person there. If that second person likes to turn breakers back on without you knowing . . . not so much

Having spare breakers and fuses can really come in handy at times. Recently had a 3 phase disconnect not want to reconnect everything was old and the fuse were bad looking. Would have had to go to 3 place and get 1 fuse @ each to get all 3 of them replaced. Got 1 and got the it back in business.

Last edited:

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    In older or remodeled houses, be aware that the breakers may not have a logical pattern with the room configuration. I almost think the guy who wired my house in 1969 based his breaker assignments on when he ran out of wire.

JB-Glock21

Old School
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Denham Springs
    In older or remodeled houses, be aware that the breakers may not have a logical pattern with the room configuration. I almost think the guy who wired my house in 1969 based his breaker assignments on when he ran out of wire.

Me too...I curse the "Jack-leg..Brother-in-Law" who did mine...no rhyme or reason...just went merrily along daisy chaining with total disregard for load balance/distribution!!:curse:

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    if you buy a new or less than 10yrs old house in a modern subdivision(especially d.r. horton) get your pannel checked by an electrician, or home inspector.
    my home was 8yrs old when i bought it, the inspector found several loose wires, and even just wires hooked to breakers that went into the wall 1ft and ended bare.

i also check the screws/connections annually. electrical current can cause mechanical motion(screws loosening) and physical erosion of poorly contacted wires and terminals.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom