Golani Sporter: School me on this rifle.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    So I am looking at adding a Golani Sporter by Century to the arsenal. I test fired 20 rounds of cheap Monarch brass ammo. No issues feeding and was consistent. Of course I want to suppress it. The thread pitch is some oddball one like 13x1mm. A 1/2x28 brake will thread about half way down and stop. Should I just chop and thread for .5x28? I pulled the flash hider and measured the barrel and it was about 18 and 3/8" long, so plenty of room to cut and thread.

Is there any reason not to suppress this other than the obvious its an "AK and AK actions arent the quietest suppressor hosts?" Anything to worry about regarding over gassing and damaging the gun? The gas tube does have some bleed off holes in it so I would think the excess pressures could be diverted. Should I get a rubber bolt buffer if so?

Ammo: Can I run 5.56 ammo? Or only 223 as it is marked 223? Steel run ok in these? They are a ak variant after all. Mags seem to be available for these at decent prices. Im pretty sure the bore is not chrome lined.

What about wear n tear part availability? Anything else you AK guys can throw at me is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

rcm192

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    There are plenty of surplus parts available, the ammo you should be able to use both. I don't know anything about the threading.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Before I cut it, recommend looking at a thread adapter. Google '13x1mm thread adapter suppressor'. Would also double check the thread count. If you buy the adapter and decide you don't like it, then cut the barrel...the adapter doesn't seem that expensive. Many suppressors now come with adapter options...if you have a suppressor look for that manufacturers adapter.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Looks like cnc makes an adapter.
    http://www.cncwarrior.com/M13x1-RH-to-1-2-28-RH-Muzzle-Thread-Adapter-p/24933.htm

I just worry about cocentricity issues more so with adapters. I will be running a Omega 30 so I do have a little more margin for error. But to buy a adapter then a cocentricity rod I may be able to spend a few buck more for a chop n thread job that will be cut square. I know I know once you cut it you cant put it back. But to run an adapter and a asr comp I will be adding a good bit of OAL making it pretty front heavy. I duno I have to consider my options.

Hell, I may even consider getting it cut to 14" and change with a pin and weld ASR brake.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Now running a KNS gen 2 piston. Shoots very well so far.

Suppressed Golani: a copy of the Galil https://imgur.com/gallery/DVj47Kk

dlpezi6.jpg

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I was taught that you can shoot .223 in a 5.56 barrel, but not 5.56 is a .223 barrel unless it is a .223 Wylde. This is why all of my ARs are in 5.56 except my pistol, which I decided to make a .223 Wylde. If there ever comes a situation where I have to shoot throw-down military ammo, I don't want to have issues.

Clever Handle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2019
    Slidell
    rcm192,

Did you do the barrel work yourself, or did you take it to a shop to have it done? If you did take it to a shop, may I be so bold as to ask which shop? Thanks!

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    That guy sure gets great reviews of his work. I’m going to have to send some things off to him.

He does excellent work,however, I DID have to send it twice. The first time I sent it the barrel was around 19" factory OEM length from Century...the work I requested via email was :

-Chop to 14" and change
    -Thread to .5x28 industry specs/crown
    -Machine the Lantac Dragon ASR mount (as to not use ANY shims for timing)
    -Pin and weld (to meet the legal length of 16" with brake)

Sooo....it came back to me with a 16" overall barrel length PLUS the brake on top of that WITH shims AND pinned and welded...making it about the same length as the original without a brake threaded on to it.

With that being said, the work was very well done BUT it was a very WTF moment when I realized what I received. All I could think was damn this guys social media says 19,500 barrels threaded and counting....why me!?

I had to pay a few more bucks to get it back to him and then he charged me another fee to redo it. I could only be so butthurt about it and having to pay more.. Mistakes happen and who else was I gonna send it to get fixed and pay $100 or less to make it how I intended?

It was done right ultimately and I am very happy with it. Just had some headaches and alot more time than I wanted to wait. I would send him more work and maybe be more declarative with what I want done next time.

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    He does excellent work,however, I DID have to send it twice. The first time I sent it the barrel was around 19" factory OEM length from Century...the work I requested via email was :

-Chop to 14" and change
    -Thread to .5x28 industry specs/crown
    -Machine the Lantac Dragon ASR mount (as to not use ANY shims for timing)
    -Pin and weld (to meet the legal length of 16" with brake)

Sooo....it came back to me with a 16" overall barrel length PLUS the brake on top of that WITH shims AND pinned and welded...making it about the same length as the original without a brake threaded on to it.

With that being said, the work was very well done BUT it was a very WTF moment when I realized what I received. All I could think was damn this guys social media says 19,500 barrels threaded and counting....why me!?

I had to pay a few more bucks to get it back to him and then he charged me another fee to redo it. I could only be so butthurt about it and having to pay more.. Mistakes happen and who else was I gonna send it to get fixed and pay $100 or less to make it how I intended?

It was done right ultimately and I am very happy with it. Just had some headaches and alot more time than I wanted to wait. I would send him more work and maybe be more declarative with what I want done next time.

So you asked for a certain length and received a different length but had to pay to get it fixed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    So you asked for a certain length and received a different length but had to pay to get it fixed?

Not Good if he had to pay to have it corrected and should leave a Negative Review at the very least. He should get a refund!

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area

Yes this is correct.
    Not Good if he had to pay to have it corrected and should leave a Negative Review at the very least. He should get a refund!

Yea it shoulda happened.

Top Bottom