Helped a newbie at Gretna Gun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    So I was spending some frustrating time trying to get used to the grip of a new gun and not progressing as well as I wanted, when I noticed that I was no longer alone at the Gretna Gun range. An older African-American man, maybe 65 or so walked in looking like the widest-eyed deer in the headlights I'd ever seen.

He was holding his pistol at a discomforting angle ( sweeping most of the room) and wasn't wearing his ear protection either, so I put my gun down and talked with him. Sure enough, he was a newbie and this was his first gun and first time at the range.

But no one had even taught him the basics.

Now, I'm not an instructor, but he was so helpless looking that I felt he needed a bit of instruction. I taught him the 4 rules of safe handling and then showed him how to work the lane. I had to hang his target for him because he was too short to reach it.

Then I had to shout at him to hold fire as I saw him about to pull the trigger with his thumb on the back end of the slide! Fortunately, he listened, and I explained that he was about to break his thumb the way he was holding the gun. I asked him how much training he had gotten when he purchased the gun: None. BTW he had not purchased it at Gretna Gun.

So I asked him to unload the gun, and we went through how to grip it properly, how to keep the finger safely off of the trigger until ready to fire, how to align the sights with the target, etc. Then I let him give it a go. He didn't do too badly for a first timer, but his stance was all wrong. The more he fired, the more he leaned backward and his hits crept upward. So I showed him a couple of shooting stances, and he seemed to like a modified Weaver the best, and then he reloaded - slowly because his thumbs were definitely not used to the work.

After he had used up his box of 50, he packed it in, and I told him to check with the guys at the front desk to see if he could find an instructor; he left with a smile at discovering how much fun target shooting could be, but with the idea that he needed a bit of work.

It never hurts to take a few moments to help out a newbie, if for no other reason than to keep from having them accidentally shoot you.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Thanks for the save man! Anything you can do to make it safer at GGW we appreciate. I try my best to educate everyone who walks through the doors but I just cant be everywhere all the time. Thats when it really makes a huge difference when knowledgable customers help out new gun owners. Its always better to catch them early on as opposed to them getting kicked out of the range for flagging the masses and pissing everyone off or even worse hurting someone. Thanks again bud!

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    great on ya man.... realistically, shouldn't some of the basic safety stuff you taught him, be taught upon purchase of your first firearm or even earlier? I mean.... If i was selling someone their first firearm, I would consider it common courtesy to not only him/her, but everyone, to go over some basic safety stuff.....

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Thanks for the save man! Anything you can do to make it safer at GGW we appreciate. I try my best to educate everyone who walks through the doors but I just cant be everywhere all the time. Thats when it really makes a huge difference when knowledgable customers help out new gun owners. Its always better to catch them early on as opposed to them getting kicked out of the range for flagging the masses and pissing everyone off or even worse hurting someone. Thanks again bud!

I was hoping you were at the counter and that he took the time to talk as I suggested to him. Gretna Gun has been good to me over the years, and I didn't want to see anything untoward happen.

As to helping newbies, well I'm just paying it forward. LSP (Steve), may he rest in peace, helped out early on, as did a few others here.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    great on ya man.... realistically, shouldn't some of the basic safety stuff you taught him, be taught upon purchase of your first firearm or even earlier? I mean.... If i was selling someone their first firearm, I would consider it common courtesy to not only him/her, but everyone, to go over some basic safety stuff.....

That is probably about as common as Auto Dealerships teaching someone how to drive when they purchase their first vehicle.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I guess, I was basing this thinking, out of the love for the hobby/sport, and the general teaching, of looking out for the next guy. I wouldn't want it on my conscience, that I sold a guy his first firearm, and a few days later, that weapon killed someone due to lack of training, knowing full well, I had the chance to talk to the individual and help him with some general safety knowledge.

Ben Karns

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 2, 2017
    Covington, LA
    I love it, we should all strive to be humble and eager to serve anyone. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Good job. What pistol was he shooting?

It was a 9mm Turkish gun that I am not familiar with - Canik. I could not figure out the take-down mechanism, so I left it alone and advised him to read the manual about disassembly and cleaning. I found the gun a bit bulky, but I'm used to a Springfield XD.

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Great job with the novice!

XD-GEM, awesome work! We need more like you to step up. Way to go.

That newbie is fortunate that he met you, not some "too-tacti-cool" wannabe who wants to impress everyone. This novice met you and got some real help. More importantly, I think that he probably left with the impression that the shooting sports community is largely a great bunch of enthusiasts who are inviting, safety conscious, ever-learning, patriotic, community-minded and eager to share. That's been my experience. It burns me up when we are characterized in the media as reckless, dangerous and closed minded whack-o's.

I'm sure that over the years there have been plenty of stories similar to yours. I wish the media would cover those. I know that I certainly have benefited in many, many ways from the things I have learned from more experienced shooters. I hope that if the situation presents itself, I can do what you did, and help a novice. However, in spite of the fact that I've been shooting for over 55 years, I'm still learning too.

That's one of the great things about the Bayou Shooter's forum: we are able to benefit from the experiences and knowledge of other enthusiasts. Whether we are "sharing" or absorbing, we all benefit.

I continue to be amazed at the things that I hear people say about firearms, the worst being the guys who hang around the counters in the non-LGS places (Academy, WalMart, etc.) I wish that everyone could get some basic instruction when they get their first firearm. We do have hunter safety for hunting purposes of course, but that doesn't cover the guys that buy their first firearm for self-defense.

Great job XD-GEM!

Last edited:

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    While i am not one to suggest we have more regulations, something needs to be done in regards to safe handling and storage of firearms. Some sort of training at bare minimum and suggestions (regulations?) regarding safe storage should be implemented. Not saying we need more laws, but gun owners really need to step up and take these topics more seriously. Not everyone needs a gun safe and a 2 day training class, but there needs to be more than nothing. Add a brochure to the sales paperwork when a ffl sells a gun? Online tutorials by the gun mfg? Maybe offer a rebate to those who have participated in a safety course? Safe mfgs could partner with the gun mfgs to provide secure storage options. I am not sure of the fix, but we need something.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom