Pearl River WMA Oct 1-5

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    If I'm reading the regulations correctly, and I'd like to think that I am, it looks like October 1-5 in Pearl River WMA is bow season only. Small game (which means 1000 rounds going off all day long) begins Saturday, October 6. I'm new to bow hunting, but it looks like Oct 1-5 should be silent bow hunt only for deer and hog, correct?

Would really like to take a hog with my bow. Have yet to make my first bow kill.

buckedup

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Tylertown Ms.
    Killed a few out there before off of oil well road. You hunt from the roads or a vehicle?? Find you a good honey locust and climb on up. Not sure where you are but there are much better wmas in the state

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    Pearl is 40 minutes from my house and 30 from my office. Tough to beat that.

I sold my boat so I stalk only now. Had great results off of the water (Perch Lake/Pond is one spot I don't mind giving away, but be kind to the duck hunters). One time, off of a waterway, about 30 yards off of the bank, I saw a hog the size of a cow. Must have been 600#. Decided not to shoot at it with my 22 magnum cause my 11 yr old son was with me. That was a big pig.

Have had nice success walking in from Hwy 11. When it's hot, find the water. When it's cold, find the high ground. Have found countless permanent (against the rules, but that's not by bag of worries) stands and corn feeders back in the woods. One guy (presumably) put so much corn in the ground the hogs dug a 5 foot deep hole getting to it. Looks like a bomb crater :) Every time I think I have the hogs nailed, they move in bulk which tells me they go where other people do not, myself included. There are some solid spots, but in general just go where other people don't go. Minimum 1/2 mile in. I'd guess that 90% of hunters don't go 1 mile deep into the woods, so there ya go. Just move quietly and listen, with the wind in your face.

I'ma try and get my first bow kill with a hog Oct 1-5 this year. Stalk. Will drive in off hwy 11. By the time the squirrel hunters get into Pearl (no offense meant) on Oct 6, 1000 rounds per day on the weekends will be heard near hwy 11. Gotta get in before that frenzy starts. Not interested in taking a deer, but would love to slay a hog with my bow.

Last edited:

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    If I'm reading the regulations correctly, and I'd like to think that I am, it looks like October 1-5 in Pearl River WMA is bow season only. Small game (which means 1000 rounds going off all day long) begins Saturday, October 6. I'm new to bow hunting, but it looks like Oct 1-5 should be silent bow hunt only for deer and hog, correct?

Would really like to take a hog with my bow. Have yet to make my first bow kill.

Silent bow hunt my axx. You will have 10,000 city boys SCOUTING the woods October 1-5

buckedup

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Tylertown Ms.
    Pearl is 40 minutes from my house and 30 from my office. Tough to beat that.

I sold my boat so I stalk only now. Had great results off of the water (Perch Lake/Pond is one spot I don't mind giving away, but be kind to the duck hunters). One time, off of a waterway, about 30 yards off of the bank, I saw a hog the size of a cow. Must have been 600#. Decided not to shoot at it with my 22 magnum cause my 11 yr old son was with me. That was a big pig.

Have had nice success walking in from Hwy 11. When it's hot, find the water. When it's cold, find the high ground. Have found countless permanent (against the rules, but that's not by bag of worries) stands and corn feeders back in the woods. One guy (presumably) put so much corn in the ground the hogs dug a 5 foot deep hole getting to it. Looks like a bomb crater :) Every time I think I have the hogs nailed, they move in bulk which tells me they go where other people do not, myself included. There are some solid spots, but in general just go where other people don't go. Minimum 1/2 mile in. I'd guess that 90% of hunters don't go 1 mile deep into the woods, so there ya go. Just move quietly and listen, with the wind in your face.

I'ma try and get my first bow kill with a hog Oct 1-5 this year. Stalk. Will drive in off hwy 11. By the time the squirrel hunters get into Pearl (no offense meant) on Oct 6, 1000 rounds per day on the weekends will be heard near hwy 11. Gotta get in before that frenzy starts. Not interested in taking a deer, but would love to slay a hog with my bow.

You got the basics down. Water when it’s hot cover when they are pressured. We have a camp up at yancey and usually get several a year. I got 3 with the 22 mag. I tried the 45 grain Hornady personal defense last year and the worked well. 40 grain solids work well too but don’t expand on body shots

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    You got the basics down. Water when it’s hot cover when they are pressured. We have a camp up at yancey and usually get several a year. I got 3 with the 22 mag. I tried the 45 grain Hornady personal defense last year and the worked well. 40 grain solids work well too but don’t expand on body shots

Try the Federal 50 gr. HP. They dont expand but will penetrate and break a lot of bone.

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    Also consider a neck shot for either the spine or throat. My favorite location is shooting for the inner ear, but the margin or error is like +/- 1/4" which on a moving animal is very tough. The spine is just above the throat and combined I'd guess the target zone is about 3" long, so from dead center between the spine and throat you've got +/- 1.5" margin of error. Neck shots on hogs with rimfire have been very effective for me. Favorite is the .444 to the ear, but during small game when using rimfire, consider the neck shot instead of trying to penetrate the skull or creating such a tiny double lung shot that they run too far away to track through a wet area like Pearl.

I went bow hunting a few times last year on the lease but quickly found out that I fidget too much. Those deer saw me from a mile away. Definitely have respect for you successful bow hunters... it's not easy. Going to keep at it though.

Only six more weeks til my wife knows not to ask me to do any house hold weekend chores cause she knows I'll be in the woods on the weekends!

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Week days are never that crowded anyway, 5 days of no squirrel hunters will be nice especially if it's not 100 degrees.

buckedup

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Tylertown Ms.
    Also consider a neck shot for either the spine or throat. My favorite location is shooting for the inner ear, but the margin or error is like +/- 1/4" which on a moving animal is very tough. The spine is just above the throat and combined I'd guess the target zone is about 3" long, so from dead center between the spine and throat you've got +/- 1.5" margin of error. Neck shots on hogs with rimfire have been very effective for me. Favorite is the .444 to the ear, but during small game when using rimfire, consider the neck shot instead of trying to penetrate the skull or creating such a tiny double lung shot that they run too far away to track through a wet area like Pearl.

I went bow hunting a few times last year on the lease but quickly found out that I fidget too much. Those deer saw me from a mile away. Definitely have respect for you successful bow hunters... it's not easy. Going to keep at it though.

Only six more weeks til my wife knows not to ask me to do any house hold weekend chores cause she knows I'll be in the woods on the weekends!

Hoggin you think a lot like me. I got both a 444 and a 45/70 lever that I stalk them with. My cz 22 mag can dish out some lead real fast too. I have seen the results of the dead coyote T shot too. It works well. I don’t get to pearl much but make a couple of trips each year. Might run into there. Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom