New Phone needed, iPhone or Android

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bryanbag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    As the title says I'm in need of a new phone.
    I've had an iPhone since they have come out, I typically keep my phone for a while. Right now I have the 5s.
    I'v been thinking of trying some thing new, I know it will be a big learning curve if I switch to the Android (Leaning towards the Samsung S9+)
    If I do stick with the iPhone it will be the iPhone X.

For the people that have had both, what do you think are the pro's and con's of the 2.
    I do use my phone for work, email, tracking inventory, setting up shipping details, etc.

Please no bashing of the 2 operating programs.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Samsung S5 here as well. 3 yrs old and still going strong. Can still go 1.5/2 days without charging as well. GF has the Iphone x and she loves it. I've played with it, and its pretty nice, but I can't justify $1000 bucks for a damn phone. I could build another rifle for that! lol....

Last edited:

Mxav

Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Nov 25, 2011
    New Orleans
    I had the iPhone up until the 5 then switched over to a Note 3, I now own a Note 8. For me, the iPhone operating program got boring. Dont get me wrong, the iOS it's very simple and straight forward but with the Android platform I feel as if there is "much more" going on.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I have a note 4 currently and love the pen functionality and the fact I can replace the battery at will. But with that being said the I believe the new Samsungs don't let you replace the battery so that is why I haven't upgraded. The other good thing is that they take a standard USB-C connector to charge and not that propritary Lightning port crap. My kids talked me into getting them iPhones for their birthday and they go through cords like crazy. I have stopped buying them as they cost an arm and a leg where as if I need to charge my Samsung I have tons of USB cords around and even cheap ones last for years.

I don't buy Apple on general principal as I am not a fan of the tightly controlled ecosystem that they have with no ability to upgrade yourself. I am a PC and Android kind of guy.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    If you are comfortable with the OS, I would stay with what you are familiar with. My wife switched from Droid to Iphone & couldn't figure out how to do anything. She took it back and found the Droid she was looking for.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I agree with Mxav. The iOS is simple and the Android platform and much more going on. But from my perspective, that's one of the reasons I stick with iOS. I like the simplicity. However, I don't view the iOS as boring. In fact, I don't view it at all. I like to use the phone without the UI getting in the way. I want the UI to "disappear" rather than be front and center every time I use the phone. My wife has an iPhone for personal use and an android for with. As her IT staff, I am the one who is called when she needs something done with her phone. There are multiple launchers available and each one is different and each one offers a lot of customization. That means there is no standard UI like there is on an iPhone. If you pick up an iOS device and are familiar with it, there's no issue with doing what you need to do. In fact, it's so simple, it's intuitive even if you've never fooled with it before. When I have to work on my wife's android or my daughter's android, I may not be doing the same thing to accomplish the same thing because they have different launchers. Some versions of the launcher no longer have a button to get to your app menu. My wife's phone is one of them. It's a pain in the @$$ to deal with. For some people, the level of customization with android is a huge plus. For me, it's a huge negative because of the complexity it brings.

The fact my daily personal computer is a MacBook makes using iOS easier as well. My calendar, contacts, and text messages on my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook all sync with each other. I can read my gmail through the email apps as well. If I used the google calendar and/or used windows on my personal computer, I might look at android. The tight integration between android and google calendar or google voice or gmail or any of the google services is certainly a selling feature for android. But a lot of those services had an iOS app that works pretty well.

I don't think either iOS or android are better than the other one. I think it comes down to what you are looking for in a phone. And if the platform has the apps you need to track inventory or set up shipping details. If their web based, either one works. I use chrome on my computer and my phone. Chrome on iOS is really safari with a Chrome coating but all the bookmarks and passwords still sync and I can view what tabs ore open on whatever devices I have running.

For the record, I ditched the iPhone for an android phone a number of years ago. That lasted about 3 months before I got a new iPhone.

Last edited:

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    The last iPhone i had was the 4. The Samsung phones offer so much more, when it come to downloading movies, tv shows, expandable storage. I'll never go back to the iPhone and be limited again.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    There are a number of thumb drives with lightning connectors. I have one of those as well as a microsd card reader that plugs into the iphone. With those, however, you are limited to the (usually) one app that works with the drive. I've found those apps to be acceptable at best. But I'm able to load movies and videos on them as needed. Or I can skip the drives and set up a few movies in plex for offline viewing. The advantage android has is a built in microsd slot and OTG support for thumb drives. And android allows access to the file system so videos can be played from expandable storage with just about any app. But the limitation imposed by apple's "walled garden" does seem to keep almost all malicious apps away from iOS. You can get an iOS device with a lot more storage, more than the average person would need. But they charge a premium for it. The difference between the cost of an iPhone X with 64gb and one with 254gb is about $150. But if the 64gb phone had an expansion slot, you could make up the difference with a 200gb microsd card at 1/3 the cost.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    We went from the iPhone 6s to the LG X Charge phones and LOVE the longer battery life. They can be easily configured to suit your tastes and are easy to adapt to. I love that the LG has a removable Micro SD card capability and talks to my Windows computers with ease.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Pretty sure it is only democrats that own apples. I may be wrong. But it seems like that to me.

I would have to disagree with you there. I would say it's more of a democratic mindset to believe their personal choice is the right choice for everyone and all opposing opinions are invalid because those opinions oppose their own beliefs.

rdm227

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    Prairieville
    I went back and forth over the years. I just switched from an iPhone 6 to a Samsung S9 but I still haven't got used to it again. I like the customization and storage options of the Android but miss the operating style of the iPhone. Like others have said, battery life and ease of finding charging cables is nice.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

TheMole68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Metairie, LA
    While you're in the market look at the Moto G phones. They're excellent and affordable. You can buy them straight from Best buy and go. No lease or contract I'm going back to one once this s7 dies.

Last edited:

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I have an Iphone 7 and my wife an Samsung S6. For what I use a phone for I much prefer the ease of operation of the Iphone's one button.

Tiollib

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 28, 2013
    Thibodaux
    Holy old phones in here. FWIW Apple supports phones for about 5 years after release with OS updates. I have never had good luck with Samsung phones (S3 and Note4). Note 4 ATE batteries left and right and would occasionally get stuck boot looping. Would recommend something with stock android, like the Pixel phones. Currently have a 7plus and too entrenched in the Apple ecosystem to change phone OS anytime soon.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I would have to disagree with you there. I would say it's more of a democratic mindset to believe their personal choice is the right choice for everyone and all opposing opinions are invalid because those opinions oppose their own beliefs.

Judging by the majority of posts I did not realize that open minded people frequented this forum, i stand corrected!

Apple vs droid is certainly a personal preference, just like apple vs pc used to be back in the day. I always found apple to be overpriced back them, and my feelings have not changed. Value is in the eye of the beholder for sure, ymmv.

Creoleman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Metairie,La.
    Currently have a Galaxy S6, which does all that I need it to do. I have noticed, however, that nearly every time I notice someone with a cracked screen, it seems to be an Apple product. I've long wondered why that still is.

Top Bottom