Gun Safe in the $1000 range

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm looking to spend about $1000 on a gun safe. I'd like to get it local to BR as any shipping costs would mean less money on the safe itself. I read a previous discussion on here that turned into what was basically a Liberty vs Cannon discussion relative to their customer service. Coincidentally, I am looking at a few and they happen to be Liberty and Cannon.

Cannon Safe Shield Series SH5940 64-Gun Safe $1000 but on sale now for $800
    https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/cannon-shield-series--64-gun-safe

Liberty Centurion 24 $769 minus 5%
    https://www.mwlibertybr.com/safe-centurion-safes-ps-23.html

Liberty USA 30 $1100 minus 5%
    https://www.mwlibertybr.com/safe-usa-safes-ps-44.html

Does anyone have any experience with any of these and can suggest why I may or may not want to go with them? I'm not stuck on these. I'm open to other local ideas. These just seemed to stand out among the ones I was looking at. The Cannon and the Centurion both seem to have the same metal body panel thickness. I do like the mechanical lock on the Centurion but the capacity is quite a bit less. The USA has a little thicker metal but a lot less capacity as well. That should indicate the Liberty safes are better quality but it's not always the case. I'll likely stop by Mike Wards in the next few days and see the safes in person. But I don't mind hearing the pros and cons from people who have first hand knowledge.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    If you wait until right after Christmas the prices are pretty low. Last time I looked all the name brand safe's were pretty close in construction. I settled on a Stackon for price and features. Chose a mechanical lock because I didn't want to ever mess around or worry about power. I see you're in Baton Rouge. If you're in a flood region you might to look at a safe that has some water resistance. Good luck.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I have a Fatboy Jr. from Mike Ward's in BR, very happy with the product and the service. It's worth a trip to check them out, they sometimes have "scratch and dent" models at a discount, I saved a good bit because mine had a small ding in a side that is against a wall anyway.

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    I had to get a smaller safe that would fit in a closet and like the Liberty Revolution 24 I got from Academy. Had to get the door organizer to get most out of such a small space. I also have a 72"x36"x24" 700lb cannon patriot safe in storage that has been great, but since I have downsized I will be listing it for sale soon.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Choose wisely. Most thin sheet metal safes can be opened pretty quickly like a tuna fish can. Some of em easily pry open at the door too, lacking rigidity in the frame structure. Bolting down securely in a tight closet helps the cause.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I have a Liberty. It was an after Christmas one on sale. I will up grade with another one larger and properly get one from Mike Ward.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    My olmy problem is if my wife will let me keep the Old one when I get a new one and have 2

Rebel500

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 1, 2016
    Northshore La
    I own a Liberty and highly recommend them. Don’t purchase an import safe, the quality of the material isn’t good. The Fatboy Jr should work great for your needs and always bolt the safe to the slab.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks for all the replies. There is a relatively immediate need for the safe so I don't believe I can wait for the holiday sales. And as a state employee, my employer does not pay me what I believe I am worth so my current budget is what I have to work with. But I will send out my PayPal information should anyone care to make donations toward a better safe. I'm going to run by Mike Ward's and look at their scratch and dent models. Maybe I'll get lucky.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    This is the safe I have now been great just to small outgrew it.
    Does she have more than one jewelry box?

Or more than two closets for her stuff?

Jewelry Box one small one she has had 30 plus years.
    Closets? Nope one small one 2-3 dresses
    Ya did not ask but Shoes? 4 pair. Work, Dress, Sneaker, and grass/work ones.
    She does want a New "Push" Lawn Mower. I did get her a New Weed Eater and Edger though.
    Did I mention I Have A Great wife?

Last edited:

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I have 2 safes, small one that was upstairs in my old house and a larger one that would not go up stairs easily!!!

Paid 500 for the small one, cannon from academy and 900 for the larger, pretty sure it is a 33cuft browning also from academy. Build quality is similar, as mentioned these are not pro grade safes, but do offer some fire protection and security, plus I doubt I could stack the contents in a smaller footprint if I tried!!!

Go with the largest your space and budget will allow. Or plan to buy multiples as time goes by. I think that multiple medium size safes would be a better bet, if you ever plan to move them. My large safe is too deep to fit through most doorways, food for thought...

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Just looked the same size but is private label so says Cabela's made by Liberty 60 min fire was $899 after Christmas sale

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have 2 safes, small one that was upstairs in my old house and a larger one that would not go up stairs easily!!!

Paid 500 for the small one, cannon from academy and 900 for the larger, pretty sure it is a 33cuft browning also from academy. Build quality is similar, as mentioned these are not pro grade safes, but do offer some fire protection and security, plus I doubt I could stack the contents in a smaller footprint if I tried!!!

Go with the largest your space and budget will allow. Or plan to buy multiples as time goes by. I think that multiple medium size safes would be a better bet, if you ever plan to move them. My large safe is too deep to fit through most doorways, food for thought...

I found one at Mike Ward's. I'm well above flood level so flood warranty isn't a concern. I am comfortable with paying a bit more than I wanted. I looked at the Fat Boy Jr models but I don't see the extra 20 minutes of fire protection as worth the extra $350 given my situation. The USA is rated for 40 minutes and the Fat Boy Jr for 60 minutes.

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    Just my .02 on safes. Back in 2016 I looked and looked long and hard at many different ones. Things to look at are the fire rating and time frame. The number of dead bolts around the door. And the thickness of the steel. Of course anyone with the right tools can cut their way in on most all of the ones the average buyer can afford. I don't worry about that as much as I do fire. And speaking of water, it seems I seem to recall someone posting on here that if you have a fire, the amount of water dumped on your house can damage your guns as bad as a flood. I did not get a waterproof rated one I don't think but some are rated to withstand 2 feet of water for so many hours. Stackon is a brand that does offer a water rated one.
    And I agree to buy the largest you can afford as you will learn that the one you do buy is not big enough or in a short period of time it won't be.
    If going for a Cannon you may want to check Tractor Supply on prices. They seem to have good prices on the Cannon, but on their website, their Cannons seem to have quite a few negative responses.
    I bought a Winchester Ranger Deluxe, either a 51 or 54 gun. Don't remember but you can never fit as many as they say they are for. I chose it for the fire rating and it has 18 of the 2.5" steel rods around the door. 6 on each side and 3 on top and 3 on bottom which will really make a tough prying session if a break in occurs. I went with the mechanical S&G lock so I don't have to deal with batteries or a keypad that may freak out on me.
    It weighed just a few pounds shy of 1,000 pounds and purchased from SimmonsSporting Goods. They have a lot of brands and models on their floor to look at, and they deliver and install, for a fee unfortunately. Mine is the 72" tall by 40" wide by 27" deep not counting the handle.
    It's a little more than your looking to spend but not too bad. If I remember right it was $1695.
    Something else to check when looking at them. Close the door and pull/push on the door with the handle and see how much play is there. You want one that is snug without any movement or very little. That makes a big difference if you have a fire for the seal to do its job, or even slack for a pry bar. The way I looked at it, it is an investment. How much money do you have in guns that will go into it. If you have $5k worth of guns, you need good protection. A safe will last decades and can be passed on to your kids is the way I looked at it. Mine will be here long after Im gone. $2k safe at 20 years is only $100 a year of protection is what I decided. Good luck shopping, they are a great investment.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Side open safes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-9vWa-C44I
    But I still like a real safe. Just shows how easy to get in any safe

I saw that video. The main point of the video seems to be "Buy our modular safes. They're not really secure but at least they make it easier to rearrange your house."

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John1994
    Top Bottom