300 AAC through a 5.56 AR..The saga continues

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The high speed wasn't shot at 8000 fps. It was shot at 8098 fps. And I'm sure it was just a wind cover for the mic but it looked like someone's beard was in the top edge of the frame toward the end. From what he said about the powder, it seemed like he used a custom load.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Did you happen to catch that he was able to fire a 300 AAC round from a 5.56 cal AR rifle tho?....missed it? Hmmm

I caught it. They showed it at 8098 frs. I'm somewhat surprised they found the bullet. When they showed the "berm" in the background after finding it, there didn't appear to be any obvious shovel holes. I guess the deformation must have slowed the bullet down enough so it bury itself too deep in the berm.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I caught it. They showed it at 8098 frs. I'm somewhat surprised they found the bullet. When they showed the "berm" in the background after finding it, there didn't appear to be any obvious shovel holes. I guess the deformation must have slowed the bullet down enough so it bury itself too deep in the berm.
    Now that you mention it, I wish the dude would have traded one of those cameras for a chrony so we coulda got a radar on that slug. I imagine it was slower than intended from the correct rifle. I also wish the cameraman would trim that runaway beard.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Now that you mention it, I wish the dude would have traded one of those cameras for a chrony so we coulda got a radar on that slug. I imagine it was slower than intended from the correct rifle. I also wish the cameraman would trim that runaway beard.

He no doubt probably didn't believe it would make it out of the muzzle.

So you want to do a little manscaping on the cameraman eh? :mamoru:

Oh my!

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

If their raw high speed footage captured the bullet in at least 2 frames, you could get a rough approximation.

Top Bottom