Lest talk gun finishes here.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I don't know of anyone I have used myself, perhaps some of the other guys will chime in. I did Google melonite refinish and found some shops who perform the services.

I just searched and Primary Machine offers black nitride refinishing, barrel and slide. Very good prices compared to some I found on the internet. We had a member here bragging on PM's machining for a rmr and his pics indicated outstanding work. And I read another excellent recommendation for rmr machining by PM on the CZ forum.

PM site says $30 for the barrel and $60 for the stripped slide....that's the best prices I have seen on line this morning searching. They do not do the process in-house, but says a leading finisher in the USA. Primary Machine is in Morgan City. Dem guys at PM got it goin on!

link to Primary: http://primarymachine.com/refinishing-laser-work/black-nitride-refinishing/
    thanks John. Most of my in-laws are in Morgan City and Thibodeaux so I’m down there quite a bit. Just might have to let these guys do some work. I’d been planning to get a few pieces Cerakoted but refinishing back to spec for those prices is ....more better!

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    thanks John. Most of my in-laws are in Morgan City and Thibodeaux so I’m down there quite a bit. Just might have to let these guys do some work. I’d been planning to get a few pieces Cerakoted but refinishing back to spec for those prices is ....more better!

Ur welcome Mag. Nitriding, Melonite, Tenifer, or QPQ (ferritic nitrocarburizing) as some call it is an awesome finish. There are four specific types of QPQ finishing. Provides superior corrosion protection and lubricity. I've done a lot of reading/research on the topic and contrary to what many believe, a 4150 CM barrel nitrided is much harder that any grade of stainless steel barrel. From reading premium barrel manufacturers recommendations and break in procedures, this is what I have gleaned. Faxon, Shilen, and Krieger to name a few. A 4150 CM nitrided barrel is a very durable barrel, with a longer usable service life than SS.

Nitriding/QPQ details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferritic_nitrocarburizing

And i have not read a single negative word about Primary Machine in MC on line.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    greywolf15
    Top Bottom