Any Experience With Gemtech Mist?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I recently purchased a 10/22 Takedown with the intention of putting a Tactical Solutions SB-X Ruger 10/22 Barrel on it for a 22 can. They seem to run around $240-280. But the more I think about it, the more I'm considering a Gemtech Mist TD and save the can for my other 10/22 (non takedown). The Mists run about $600 + stamp. They can be had for $446 + stamp through the Gemtech Guardian program. Or, right now at least, I can grab one for $400 + stamp through Meplat Group. Does anyone have any experience with the Mist? In reading about them a while back, it seems they initially had some issues with carbon buildup and the cover not coming off easily but that appears to have been resolved. I'm pretty sure I'm ready to call Kenny and surrender my CC number but I figured I'd see if anyone had any issue with them before I did.

104672.webp

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    I recently purchased a 10/22 Takedown with the intention of putting a Tactical Solutions SB-X Ruger 10/22 Barrel on it for a 22 can. They seem to run around $240-280. But the more I think about it, the more I'm considering a Gemtech Mist TD and save the can for my other 10/22 (non takedown). The Mists run about $600 + stamp. They can be had for $446 + stamp through the Gemtech Guardian program. Or, right now at least, I can grab one for $400 + stamp through Meplat Group. Does anyone have any experience with the Mist? In reading about them a while back, it seems they initially had some issues with carbon buildup and the cover not coming off easily but that appears to have been resolved. I'm pretty sure I'm ready to call Kenny and surrender my CC number but I figured I'd see if anyone had any issue with them before I did.

104672.webp

At the risk of sounding self serving, they are pretty awesome. Quiet, easily maintained, lightweight.

The carbon issue was a big deal with earlier versions. Gen 1 (and 2) Mist had a hole at the base of the barrel that allowed a lot of carbon into the first chamber and sometimes would cause the outer tube to get stuck at the spot where the baffle and barrel meet. On Gen 2 they spiral cut that spot where the barrel and baffle meet to give the carbon somewhere to go (worked marginally better). Current Gen 3 design they got rid of the hole all together. The sound difference is negligible and the carbon doesn’t cause as much trouble if you aren’t regular with maintenance. I’ve shot and sold all three versions over time and would be proud to have any of them, you just have to pay a bit more attention to maintenance with the early cans (we’ve heard of folks threading and plugging the holes on early versions and drilling them on later versions, proving that you will never make everyone happy all the time. LOL)

FYI, the Guardian Program is over, I bought all of the remaining inventory (over $100k worth) and have been blowing it out at under Guardian (and often under dealer) price.

Let us know if we can be of service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OtterBob

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    West Monroe
    I have both the SBX Barrel with a GM-22 and a gen 1 Mist mounted onto a PWS Summit action. I wouldn’t want to get rid of either of them.
    If you don’t already own a 22 suppressor, I’d opt for a screw on can and the SBX Barrel. It just had more versatility.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I do have a screw on 22 suppressor. If I were to go with the Mist, it would be a second 22 suppressor. Both routes give me what I'm looking for, a suppressed 10/22 takedown with close to a 16" barrel. The SBX saves me money (and time waiting on the feds) but the Mist gives me the option of shooting 2 out of the 3 22's at the same time. Well...not me shooting both. But both being shot without having to go back and forth. And the takedown came with a threaded barrel so it's not as if I can't use a can on it until the Mist came back.

meplatgroup

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    I have both the SBX Barrel with a GM-22 and a gen 1 Mist mounted onto a PWS Summit action. I wouldn’t want to get rid of either of them.
    If you don’t already own a 22 suppressor, I’d opt for a screw on can and the SBX Barrel. It just had more versatility.

I agree 100%. Integrals are a blast, but it’s nice to be able to move your can to pistols or other rifles. We’ve got a huge selection of .22 cans starting at $200.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I agree 100%. Integrals are a blast, but it’s nice to be able to move your can to pistols or other rifles. We’ve got a huge selection of .22 cans starting at $200.

I saw the $200 can. I thought about the SBX and a second can. Looking at it from my wallet's perspective, $240 for the barrel plus $400 for the can and stamp still puts me a little above the Mist. From the perspective of convenience, I lose the mobility of the can. I have two 10/22's, an M&P 22 compact, and an AR pistol with a CMMG dedicated 22LR barrel. For now, if 2 are running at the same time, it'll likely be the 10/22's during father/daughter bonding time.

meplatgroup

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    I do have a screw on 22 suppressor. If I were to go with the Mist, it would be a second 22 suppressor. Both routes give me what I'm looking for, a suppressed 10/22 takedown with close to a 16" barrel. The SBX saves me money (and time waiting on the feds) but the Mist gives me the option of shooting 2 out of the 3 22's at the same time. Well...not me shooting both. But both being shot without having to go back and forth. And the takedown came with a threaded barrel so it's not as if I can't use a can on it until the Mist came back.

By the way, if you want to test a Mist I just gave one to Lee Bruce who owns FTS Outdoors in Cut Off and I think he will be setting it up on a rental gun. If you haven’t been out there you owe it to yourself to take a trip. It is the most AMAZING range in Louisiana.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    By the way, if you want to test a Mist I just gave one to Lee Bruce who owns FTS Outdoors in Cut Off and I think he will be setting it up on a rental gun. If you haven’t been out there you owe it to yourself to take a trip. It is the most AMAZING range in Louisiana.

What gen are the ones you have?

HogHunter1203

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    SWLA
    FWIW, I have the fixed barrel and TD versions. Fixed is a gen 2 I believe. TD is the most recent. They are both fantastic. Haven’t had any issues. Wish they had an 8-9” or so version for the charger. Had an integral made for my 10/22 TD SBR, which ended up costing quite a bit more than the gemtech offerings.

Last edited:

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    The Mist is quite tempting to me too even though I have a few threaded cans and a x-ring .22 with the sbx barrel. The mask is my favorite, with the sparrow a close 2nd.
    I don’t have a threaded .22 bolt gun. That may be put on the to buy list. Should be a bit quieter than the semi autos.

Last edited:

meplatgroup

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    What gen are the ones you have?

All the ones we have are the most current production which would be the Gen 3 version.

I’ve seen a bunch of different 10/22 integrals and as one of the other folks on this thread mentioned there are some very nice small manufacturer and custom builder integrals out there. However, the Gemtech is, by far, nicer than any other large manufacturer production ones (the Ruger attempt is a hot mess) and is a great bang for the buck (we are selling both the TD and the regular for $400.

If I were going to get critical about the Mist, the thing I like least is their coating on the tube. It marks easily which I find annoying and needs to stay oiled to look best but it is easily cleaned. I really wish it was stainless.

As far as other .22 cans go, the Mask is in a league by itself. I don’t know what kind of black magic is involved in that baffle design but it is, inch for inch, significantly quieter than any other .22 can. It is a bit heavy and so the other .22 can we have been selling the crap out of is the Energetic Armament Nyx and Nyx Mod 2. They are made completely out of Ti and are super light weight and rated all the way up to 5.7x28 like the stainless cans. They were also designed with all baffles being identical so you can rotate them into the blast baffle position with each cleaning. They are very quiet as well.

The $20 can we have right now if the Gemtech GM-22. It is an aluminum monocore (.22LR only) and is super light. Monocores never seem to be as efficient and have a bit more first round pop (FRP) which is the oxygen in the can exploding from the heat and pressure. FRP doesn’t happen after the first shot because all of the oxygen in the can has been displaced by inert gases but it sounds like an oxygen acetylene torch being lit. It can also be mitigated by running the can wet. We recommend wire pulling gel or a new foam spray product we sell that looks similar to shaving cream but lubricates the can as well.

Poor guy asked one question and got a wall of text. Guess I get too excited about suppressors.

Let us know if we can help anyone.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    All the ones we have are the most current production which would be the Gen 3 version.

I’ve seen a bunch of different 10/22 integrals and as one of the other folks on this thread mentioned there are some very nice small manufacturer and custom builder integrals out there. However, the Gemtech is, by far, nicer than any other large manufacturer production ones (the Ruger attempt is a hot mess) and is a great bang for the buck (we are selling both the TD and the regular for $400.

If I were going to get critical about the Mist, the thing I like least is their coating on the tube. It marks easily which I find annoying and needs to stay oiled to look best but it is easily cleaned. I really wish it was stainless.

As far as other .22 cans go, the Mask is in a league by itself. I don’t know what kind of black magic is involved in that baffle design but it is, inch for inch, significantly quieter than any other .22 can. It is a bit heavy and so the other .22 can we have been selling the crap out of is the Energetic Armament Nyx and Nyx Mod 2. They are made completely out of Ti and are super light weight and rated all the way up to 5.7x28 like the stainless cans. They were also designed with all baffles being identical so you can rotate them into the blast baffle position with each cleaning. They are very quiet as well.

The $20 can we have right now if the Gemtech GM-22. It is an aluminum monocore (.22LR only) and is super light. Monocores never seem to be as efficient and have a bit more first round pop (FRP) which is the oxygen in the can exploding from the heat and pressure. FRP doesn’t happen after the first shot because all of the oxygen in the can has been displaced by inert gases but it sounds like an oxygen acetylene torch being lit. It can also be mitigated by running the can wet. We recommend wire pulling gel or a new foam spray product we sell that looks similar to shaving cream but lubricates the can as well.

Poor guy asked one question and got a wall of text. Guess I get too excited about suppressors.

Let us know if we can help anyone.

No worries. I'm a believer in information.

My first foray into the suppressor world was an Aklys Defense Kopis .22LR. They were running a sale on a blem and it was tax free weekend so the can itself was cheaper than the stamp. I figured it was a small investment to see if I wanted to play in the suppressor waters. That was the best/worst decision I could have made. I now have a Dead Air Sandman S in NFA jail that should be up for release soon. I took advantage of the SilencerCo special a couple months ago so I have an Omega in NFA jail and am waiting for an Octane 45 to be delivered so I can start the paperwork on it. I think I'm going to go with the Mist TD for now. I'll send an email to keep the boring admin stuff away from the public thread.

Although I have to admit, the $20 Gemtech GM-22 does sound tempting. If only that weren't a typo.

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    I have 2 screw on .22 cans and just bought the Mist takedown from Kenny a couple months ago for my 10/22 lite. I wanted the overall length to be a little shorter than just a standard barrel and can, and I hate having to switch cans from gun to gun at the range. I guess that last one is more of a personal preference though.

No first hand experience other than holding it at the meplat office. Hopefully it will be freed in the next 5-6 months.

meplatgroup

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    Although I have to admit, the $20 Gemtech GM-22 does sound tempting. If only that weren't a typo.

You all will be relieved to know that I don’t type the ATF forms. HAHAHA. I am the world’s worst typist. Unfortunately, as you correctly pointed out the GM-22s are $200 not $20. Although I have north of 70 of them sitting here so you never know. LOL.

I haven’t known Joe Meaux very long, but I like him an awful lot and find him to be a knowledgeable and honorable fellow. He and I differ a bit when it comes to monocore cans. Monocores do have applications in which their attributes make them a better choice than stacked baffle designs, particularly on non-SBR, serviceable integrals like the Mist. Fishing dirty baffles out of a long tube—-and putting them back—-is somewhere between a root canal and a colonoscopy. Monocores prevent that.

However, I, and the vast majority of the industry, prefer stacked baffle designs to monocores. It doesn’t make anyone right or wrong, he just likes strawberry ice cream and I like rocky road.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SleepingGreyCat
    Top Bottom