Scope rec in $300-500 range

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcm055

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Ruston LA
    Picked up one of those Weatherby Vanguards from Wal-Mart in .308 and need to pair it with a decent scope. I'd like to get something in the 18-24x range on the top end, since my eyes aren't the best. Ideally I'd like to pick something that Cabelas or Bass Pro carries since I have $350 in gift cards to use through them lol but if I need to toss a little cash on top of that amount I can.

I plan to hunt with this thing and would like to start trying my hand at some longer distances the rest of the year.

Troedoff

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Prairieville
    You can get an Athlon from cabelas over their website I believe. They are generally well reviewed, FFP, and fall within you given mag, and price range.

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    don't spend money on more mag. spend it on good glass.

having good glass with good clarity, color, contrast, resolution, and low light performance will serve you better than a high mag scope with sub par glass.

just 2 cents from a guy that has been in the optics game a while.

-Chris

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    That's alot of magnification. How far away are you going to be shooting?

The problem with that much magnification is that you won't get low magnification (close up deer will be too close) unless you get something in the $700 and up range.

A Leupold VX-5 would give you a 3-15 option for about $750.

A VX3 would be 4-12 or 6-18.....

Anyway, do you really need that much? 9x would be plenty for hunting in Louisiana.

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    don't spend money on more mag. spend it on good glass.

having good glass with good clarity, color, contrast, resolution, and low light performance will serve you better than a high mag scope with sub par glass.

just 2 cents from a guy that has been in the optics game a while.

-Chris
    This.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jcm055

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Ruston LA
    **Edit** I picked those magnification ranges after trying a couple of cheaper scopes that go up to 24x. That mag with better glass would be great IMHO

If it were just hunting I think a 3-9 or 4-12 would be plenty but I'd like to try some target shooting at 500yds (maybe more someday) and would like to buy once.

I saw those Athlon scopes and read mostly good reviews on them but it wasn't a name I recognized so I wasn't sure. Vortex has one in 6.5-20 in that price bracket as well.

The other that caught my eye was the Primary Arms
    3-18. It's FFP and has a their ACSS reticle. I have their 1-6 on my AR and am very impressed with it.

Last edited:

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I have always had good luck with Vortex and the Customer Service is great with them. But when looking at their scopes you will porbably want to stick in the Viper range as that is their higher quality stuff. I have not had any issues with the entry level items either but the glass will be better on the Viper lines than say the Diamondback or Crosfire line. If you had More I would say go with the Razor line but they are pricey.

jcm055

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Ruston LA
    Stopped by Bass Pro while in Shreveport today to look through some glass. The Vortex Strike Eagle on 6-24x50 wasn't bad but in the same price range a 4-16x50 Nikon Black x1000 seemed to have better glass to my untrained eye. Veeeeery minute difference but some. Just checked them out since the Cabelas gift cards will work with Bass Pro as well lol

bman940

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    I have been using Nikon's BLACK X1000 for over a year now and don't think you will regret that purchase at all. You could go into Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program and enter your shooting data and use the scope for bullet drop if you do not want to dial in your distance. Another suggestion is to check out Natchez and look at the Nikon MONARCH 5 scope. IUt has been discontinued and can be had for a great price. It has a BDC reticle you can dial in with Spot On too. The HD glass is fantastic. I ordered a 3-15 from Natchez last week and having previously had one on a .300 Win I can't wait to get this one for a great price. Either way you won't be going wrong. Make sure you also have a good rangefinder!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom