How Can Synthetic Marijuanas Be Legal?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I know it goes by quite a few names but all in all it is bad stuff that is filling ER's

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Generally, synthetic drugs remain "legal" because the chemists making them change the chemical structure enough to get around the specifics of the laws banning certain types of them. "Synthetic marijuana" is really an incorrect name for it. It's a chemical that they spray onto dried organic matter (leaves) so it just looks like mj.

Here's a good write-up on the subject.
    https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/synthetic-cannabinoids-k2spice

"For several years, synthetic cannabinoid mixtures have been easy to buy in drug paraphernalia shops, novelty stores, gas stations, and over the internet. Because the chemicals used in them have no medical benefit and a high potential for abuse, authorities have made it illegal to sell, buy, or possess some of these chemicals. However, manufacturers try to sidestep these laws by changing the chemical formulas in their mixtures."

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    You have to ban every chemical formula, then they just make a new one. And the only way to know is to send it to the crime lab which takes forever and costs $ to process.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I just remember years ago that JPSO said no sales of it in stores period. But looks like it is still being sold

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I've been wondering the same about this craze over "CBD" oil. B/c people are talking about how it's legal and how it helps "cure" everything under the sun. But legally if it is a cannabinoid, cannabidiol, or other cannibus related item, wouldn't that fall under the controlled and dangerous substance act and be "controlled". Beyond that, THC is illegal unless with an RX, and hemp is legal, but has to contain less than some crazy small amount of those agents. So is it a scam, should it be illegal? etc.

I remember when they banned one chemical after another when finding it in "incense" and bath salts. Then they did a blanket, ANY THC or cannabinoid derivative is illegal, and it shut down "MOJO and NOLA DIAMOND" almost immediately.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I remember when the incense/mojo/spice crap started, it was mostly 40 year old children that we caught doing stupid stuff with it. These idiots smoking "some random chemical" sprayed on some potpourri deserve whatever legal and/or health problems they wind up in.

Nathan Hale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    Louisiana
    No 'crime by analogy'; the chemist just keep changing the formulas.
    (Different formulas have different effects, as we unfortunately know.)

Top Bottom