Join BayouShooter For Free

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    Weekend Warrior

User Info Menu

Squirrel hunting

Looking forward to squirrel huntin this year at Sherburne since I moved out to Denham from slidell. I am used to huntin off the river in Pearl river wma. Not sure where exactly to start at Sherburne. I got to the range there quite a bit but if anyone has any information on a decent location without giving up their spot that would be great. If anyone needed a partner to hunt them squirrels Id like to join you.
    Is there anywhere else right around Livingston parish good for squirrel hunting?
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.". Thomas Jefferson

Weekend Warrior

User Info Menu

DAng nothing. Guess I’m gonna wing it or go back to honey island
    Last edited by Hashler; September 10th, 2018 at 06:03 AM.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.". Thomas Jefferson

Wealthy women wanted

Gold Member

User Info Menu

You have a boat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monolithic Mentor

User Info Menu

Just go down that road in Sherbourne from Whiskey Bay exit and drive till you come across a small bridge or culvert and park. Talk a walk down the creek for squirrels.

Weekend Warrior

User Info Menu

No it got stolen. Just have a fishing kayak now.

Weekend Warrior

User Info Menu

Appreciate it. I was only familiar with getting to the range. I’m learning though, just trying to have a good time.

Monolithic Mentor

User Info Menu

Also, talk to a game warden out there if you see one as to some good spots. They are very helpful in that regard. Lots of drainage culverts crossed by that gravel road along it's 12 miles from Whiskey Bay exit to other end at the range/Krotz Springs side.. You might try walking down the atv trails or foot path trails as well but don't hunt directly on the trails. I think you have to have your gun unloaded once you're on the atv trails at least during deer season but maybe during any hunting season while on the trail itself.
    Last edited by hunter5567; September 11th, 2018 at 07:03 AM.

Weekend Warrior

User Info Menu

Really appreciate the info. I got some scouting to do. Thank y’all

Seriously Misunderstood!

User Info Menu

Regardless of where you hunt, if there are squirrels there, you want to look for food trees first and foremost. In Sherburne, that would be various oak species and cypress trees mostly. In October they will be foraging and nest building.

What you are looking for in your scouting is signs of cuttings (discarded acorn shells, cypress shells), on the ground. That will indicate what trees not only have food, but that squirrels already found them.

On a side note, if you can find any pecan trees down there, that is a slam dunk. October is the prime month for the growth stage of pecans squirrels like and squirrels know it.
    Remember; The 2nd Amendment Protects the 1st!
    Lyndon Johnson (Democrat & Father of US Welfare System) we'll give them stuff........."and have them ni&&ers voting democratic for the next 200 years!"
    "I'm a self reliant, self supported American trapped in a "Free Shit" society!"
    Be Warned! Amazon.com is Skynet!
    PLEASE STOP USING GOOGLE!
    I don't believe in a supreme deity; but have to believe Trump's win was Divine Intervention!

All or nothing

User Info Menu

Squirrel hunting

One thing I’ve learned and practiced well over the years is taking advantage of the female squirrel in heat run.
    This morning was windy as all get out. I almost went right back in the house. But by 7:10 I realized I was only a couple hundred feet from the frenzy. Time to get a better perch.
    Moved under some low hanging cover and walked up closer for a bird’s eye view of the chaos in these two huge penn oaks. Couple of good saplings handy for a solid thumb rest. About 150 feet from the chatter, streams of tree rats running up one limb and down another round and round the trunks and long main branches. Time to go to work on these boys. So I started picking off the ones in the rear, one at a time. Follow the last in line, shoot, move up to the next. Nobody is looking back, after all. All eyes on the prize. Seems like number 8 was the female. I left her unharmed. I clipped the entire squad in less than 10 minutes. I was ready to get home anyhow. And squirrels are easier to skin while still warm.
    All males of course. Not many headshots as they weren’t exactly pausing and giving me an easy shot. But it was sure nice to have them practically in a pile when I was done.
    Happy hunting

Last edited by Magdump; November 26th, 2018 at 08:12 AM.
    Contrary to popular belief, a head shot is not necessarily a guaranteed kill shot....but it sure does take the fight out of 'em.

and if one in every 100,000,000 M&M's contained enough cyanide to kill a person, the Mars candy company would be forced by public outcry to correct it
    Bangswitch