Squirrel hunting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hashler

Weekend Warrior
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Denham Springs
    Looking forward to squirrel huntin this year at Sherburne since I moved out to Denham from slidell. I am used to huntin off the river in Pearl river wma. Not sure where exactly to start at Sherburne. I got to the range there quite a bit but if anyone has any information on a decent location without giving up their spot that would be great. If anyone needed a partner to hunt them squirrels I’d like to join you.
    Is there anywhere else right around Livingston parish good for squirrel hunting?

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Also, talk to a game warden out there if you see one as to some good spots. They are very helpful in that regard. Lots of drainage culverts crossed by that gravel road along it's 12 miles from Whiskey Bay exit to other end at the range/Krotz Springs side.. You might try walking down the atv trails or foot path trails as well but don't hunt directly on the trails. I think you have to have your gun unloaded once you're on the atv trails at least during deer season but maybe during any hunting season while on the trail itself.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Regardless of where you hunt, if there are squirrels there, you want to look for food trees first and foremost. In Sherburne, that would be various oak species and cypress trees mostly. In October they will be foraging and nest building.

What you are looking for in your scouting is signs of cuttings (discarded acorn shells, cypress shells), on the ground. That will indicate what trees not only have food, but that squirrels already found them.

On a side note, if you can find any pecan trees down there, that is a slam dunk. October is the prime month for the growth stage of pecans squirrels like and squirrels know it. ;)

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    One thing I’ve learned and practiced well over the years is taking advantage of the female squirrel in heat run.
    This morning was windy as all get out. I almost went right back in the house. But by 7:10 I realized I was only a couple hundred feet from the frenzy. Time to get a better perch.
    Moved under some low hanging cover and walked up closer for a bird’s eye view of the chaos in these two huge penn oaks. Couple of good saplings handy for a solid thumb rest. About 150 feet from the chatter, streams of tree rats running up one limb and down another round and round the trunks and long main branches. Time to go to work on these boys. So I started picking off the ones in the rear, one at a time. Follow the last in line, shoot, move up to the next. Nobody is looking back, after all. All eyes on the prize. Seems like number 8 was the female. I left her unharmed. I clipped the entire squad in less than 10 minutes. I was ready to get home anyhow. And squirrels are easier to skin while still warm.
    All males of course. Not many headshots as they weren’t exactly pausing and giving me an easy shot. But it was sure nice to have them practically in a pile when I was done.
    Happy hunting

34243cf50b76ad69deb7a40fb17ce8c5.jpg

111f2697b3b8ea7e2536b20f54d82422.jpg

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    That’s really sad dude... I was only about 300 yards from the back door. My Mrs ain’t got no problem with me thinning them out tho.
    Final thought, CCI subsonic segmented HP’s for the win. Aside from a kick or two, no sign of life once these squirrels hit the ground. I ain’t about chasing no wounded squirrel.

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    That’s really sad dude... I was only about 300 yards from the back door. My Mrs ain’t got no problem with me thinning them out tho.
    Final thought, CCI subsonic segmented HP’s for the win. Aside from a kick or two, no sign of life once these squirrels hit the ground. I ain’t about chasing no wounded squirrel.

I've got scars from what I thought was a clean kill shot on a tree rat. He was resurrected when I pick him up by his tail.
    Found out Satan could posses a Squirl......

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    I've got scars from what I thought was a clean kill shot on a tree rat. He was resurrected when I pick him up by his tail.
    Found out Satan could posses a Squirl......

My nephew had some last year that he killed and brought home and was running late so just threw them in the refrigerator till he got home from work. Long story short one came back to life and destroyed everything in the refrigerator. Wish I was there with a camera to film his removal from the house.

Hashler

Weekend Warrior
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Denham Springs
    Took the advice and wondered around Sherburne off the main road near water and small bridges. Looks like I might get a couple come October.
    Anyone who has squirrel hunted Sherburne, what is the crowd like? Is it so busy it’s not worth it?
    Second thing, the field at the end of Little Alabama rd, is that for dove hunting or can I walk off that way to get in the woods?

.22 or Shotgun?

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Took the advice and wondered around Sherburne off the main road near water and small bridges. Looks like I might get a couple come October.
    Anyone who has squirrel hunted Sherburne, what is the crowd like? Is it so busy it’s not worth it?
    Second thing, the field at the end of Little Alabama rd, is that for dove hunting or can I walk off that way to get in the woods?

.22 or Shotgun?

Went there once on opening weekend for squirrels. Never again. Bullets and shotgun BB's flying everywhere

Top Bottom