California Passes New Firearm Law.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    California Passes New Firearm Law.

Legislators in the Golden State on Wednesday voted to raise the age someone can purchase a long gun from 18 to 21.
    The bill was introduced by Sen. Anthony Portantino (D-La Cañada Flintridge) who wanted to address concerns he had after the Valentine's Day shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.
    “The two most deadly recent school tragedies have been perpetrated by people under 21 with long guns,” Portantino said on the Senate floor.
    The decision comes after Parkland students put pressure on state legislators to take action to raise the long gun purchase age.
    “As a dad and a legislator, I am determined to help California act appropriately to the tragic events our country has faced recently due to gun violence,” Portantino said. “Out of respect for young people across our country who are demanding action we must answer their plea for help.”
    The bill was opposed by pro-gun groups, such as the National Rifle Association (NRA).
    “Passing a law that makes it illegal for a 20-year-old to purchase a shotgun for hunting or an adult single mother from purchasing the most effective self-defense rifle on the market punishes the law-abiding citizens for the evil acts of criminals,” Daniel Reid, the California state director of the NRA Institute for Legislative Action, wrote in a letter to legislators.

August 31, 2018

The bill passed 26-12 and is currently on Gov. Jerry Brown's (D) desk awaiting a signature. The Assembly previously passed with a vote of 47-30.
    According to the Sacramento Bee, exemptions are being made for "police officers, members of the military and anyone with an active hunting license from the Department of Fish and Wildfire, among others."

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I’m to the point where if the people of these communist states vote the commies into office then get what they deserve. Unfortunently the cancer seems to be spreading. I don’t hear the people of these states complaining about too many gun laws. They obviously want to not have the right to defend themselves. I can’t understand that mentality, thank God.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    But, duh, you HAVE to do something when 2 people out of 325 million do something wrong. That's like, 25% of the population causing trouble. Oh, and if you check my math, you're a nazi...

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I believe that the age laws will eventually make it to the USSC and be declared unconstitutional.

Has the NRA filed any such suit?

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I believe that the age laws will eventually make it to the USSC and be declared unconstitutional.

Has the NRA filed any such suit?

Walmart was recently sued, successfully. It involved a young lady who was refused a sale, even though she was over 18yo. The suit was filed by the NRA in conjunction with the 2nd Amend Foundation. (I'm pretty sure I got the facts right, but double check my failing memory)

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Walmart was recently sued, successfully. It involved a young lady who was refused a sale, even though she was over 18yo. The suit was filed by the NRA in conjunction with the 2nd Amend Foundation. (I'm pretty sure I got the facts right, but double check my failing memory)

Think your right, Now the state of Oregon or Washington is thinking about raising the age to 21?

I don't know about the rest of you Gents but I'm noticing more and more License plates from Commiefornia in Lafayette!
    Probably a silent invasion taking place on our state......

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA

Walmart store in Oregon. She was 18 years of age, wanting to purchase a rifle. No damages assessed yet, could be as high as $5000.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/08/oregon-walmart-violated-civil-rights-when-it-refused-sale-of-rifle-to-18-year-old/#axzz5PnVciS00

https://www.wweek.com/news/business/2018/08/21/oregon-labor-commissioner-says-walmart-broke-law-by-refusing-gun-sale-to-teen/

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I don’t hear the people of these states complaining about too many gun laws. They obviously want to not have the right to defend themselves. I can’t understand that mentality, thank God.

I have extended family in upper New York state and some of the more rural parts of California. They're not all that different than many of us, and I can tell you that they love their guns, love shooting sports, and absolutely hate the big city politics that metastasize out of NYC and San Francisco.

I worry about the cancer spreading, though. I lived in Raleigh for 15 years and saw the "New Jersey urbanite" cancer spreading down into the South. At one community meeting, I had to listen to speaker after speaker bemoan how we weren't becoming more like San Francisco and New York City fast enough. When it was my turn to speak, I told the audience that I chose to live in Raleigh precisely because it was not New York and San Francisco. People were shocked, but the cancer spread to the point that ... well, here I am in Baton Rouge.

Mike

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I have extended family in upper New York state and some of the more rural parts of California. They're not all that different than many of us, and I can tell you that they love their guns, love shooting sports, and absolutely hate the big city politics that metastasize out of NYC and San Francisco.

I worry about the cancer spreading, though. I lived in Raleigh for 15 years and saw the "New Jersey urbanite" cancer spreading down into the South. At one community meeting, I had to listen to speaker after speaker bemoan how we weren't becoming more like San Francisco and New York City fast enough. When it was my turn to speak, I told the audience that I chose to live in Raleigh precisely because it was not New York and San Francisco. People were shocked, but the cancer spread to the point that ... well, here I am in Baton Rouge.

Mike

And we're glad you are here with us now, Mike. Louisiana, the Sportsman's Paradise.

Top Bottom