Condition one. Or not?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    UNless you carry a VERY old revolver without a hammer block. Then x5...

I carried fully loaded Ruger, Smith & Wesson and Colt revolvers between the mid 1960,s and the mid 1990,s before switching to Sigs and Glocks.
    Which of these do you consider Very Old?

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    I carried fully loaded Ruger, Smith & Wesson and Colt revolvers between the mid 1960,s and the mid 1990,s before switching to Sigs and Glocks.
    Which of these do you consider Very Old?

S&W started using a type of hammer block around 1905 IIRC, and by the 1920's all of their revolvers had hammer blocks. Colt Police Positives starting around 1907 had hammer blocks. This superseded the older model Colt New Police revolvers. Since Ruger didn't exist prior to 1949, I expect all of their revolvers had some type of hammer safety device from the beginning.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    The Bearcat, Super Bearcat, Single-Six, Blackhawk and Super Blackhawks manufactured from 1953 to 1972 (Old Model) had no transfer bar. They would fire if dropped on a loaded chamber with the hammer down. Most people carried on an empty chamber. In 1973, Ruger added the transfer bar to these models, hence the moniker "New Model". I have a 1979 Super Blackhawk in 44 magnum. It fell out of the holster once and landed on the hammer. I was looking right down the barrell, and saw my life flash before me. The transfer bar saved my life. After that, even though it is a "new model" I always carry on an empty chamber.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    The Bearcat, Super Bearcat, Single-Six, Blackhawk and Super Blackhawks manufactured from 1953 to 1972 (Old Model) had no transfer bar. They would fire if dropped on a loaded chamber with the hammer down. Most people carried on an empty chamber. In 1973, Ruger added the transfer bar to these models, hence the moniker "New Model". I have a 1979 Super Blackhawk in 44 magnum. It fell out of the holster once and landed on the hammer. I was looking right down the barrell, and saw my life flash before me. The transfer bar saved my life. After that, even though it is a "new model" I always carry on an empty chamber.

Thanks for the correction, I'm unfamiliar with Ruger revolvers. The only Ruger's I've owned were the .22 autos, and I have never bought a NEW one after Bill Ruger supported the 15 and 10-round mag limits.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John1994
    Top Bottom