Condition one. Or not?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    No one will post a good argument here to carrying without a round in the chamber because such an argument does not exist. A gun without a round in the chamber is useless until a round can be put in the chamber. Time is precious and there will never be enough in instances where a weapon will be needed. Additionally, you are shorting yourself a round if not carrying in the chamber.

Time is of the essence if you need to defend yourself or your love ones don't give the bad guy that time.
    Wingate

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    The only argument I can post here (Always carry with a round chambered btw) is you HONESTLY couldn't find one post about this?????? There must be a million!!
    You doubt me bro? Found a couple threads about open carry that posed the question but not concealed every day. A post and a thread, 2 different things.
    A million? Really??????

Last edited:

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    SIG 229 - Locked and loaded, hammer down, SA/DA and no thumb safety (I guess this is condition 2?)

1911 - Condition 1

I'm not sure if Jeff Cooper invented the terms, but he did make them widely known. I'm not sure all the respondents are aware of the definitions, and some other writers have modified them slightly. These are the definitions as per Jeff Cooper.

Condition 4: Chamber empty, empty magazine, hammer down.
    Condition 3: Chamber empty, full magazine in place, hammer down.
    Condition 2: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down.
    Condition 1: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on.
    Condition 0: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety off.

LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    I'm not sure if Jeff Cooper invented the terms, but he did make them widely known. I'm not sure all the respondents are aware of the definitions, and some other writers have modified them slightly. These are the definitions as per Jeff Cooper.

Condition 4: Chamber empty, empty magazine, hammer down.
    Condition 3: Chamber empty, full magazine in place, hammer down.
    Condition 2: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down.
    Condition 1: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on.
    Condition 0: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety off.

My set up; S&W Shield, loaded chamber, mag topped off and this model has no external safety (and no hammer - striker-fired).

I guess I carry in Condition 0.5? :D

jtj5002

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2016
    Lacombe
    I would personally consider a chambered striker fired gun somewhere between condition 1 and 2. Some strikers are only half cocked while others are full cocked so it depends on which gun. Trigger is my safety on a striker gun.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    My set up; S&W Shield, loaded chamber, mag topped off and this model has no external safety (and no hammer - striker-fired).
    I guess I carry in Condition 0.5? :D

For DAO pistols, IMO Condition 2 doesn't really exist since you can't cock the hammer without pulling the trigger. With a 6-7lb trigger, I'd consider the Shield a DAO. I also thought it had a trigger safety if it has no thumb safety? If so, it would be Cond 1 until you put your finger on the trigger, which would push it to Cond 0.

frhunter13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2018
    New Orleans
    Depends on the pistol If you carry ready to fire you better have one with a blocking bar. If not, then you drop the pistol it likely to fire. I carry a revolver now with NO bullet under the hammer. When I carried a 45 Auto it was carried on half cock. To fire I had to pull the hammer the rest of the way. Some 45's don't even have a half cock OR a blocking bar. So, beware.

frhunter13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2018
    New Orleans
    Rule 1 for cleaning is Remove All Ammunition from the Firearm and take it to another room before cleaning.

Nope. Rule 1: Never point the gun at anyone or anything you are not willing or wanting to shoot. Or at least in a safe direction when handling. All other rules come after that one. Eventhe act of unloading can be disastrous if you ignore rule 1.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Depends on the pistol If you carry ready to fire you better have one with a blocking bar. If not, then you drop the pistol it likely to fire. I carry a revolver now with NO bullet under the hammer. When I carried a 45 Auto it was carried on half cock. To fire I had to pull the hammer the rest of the way. Some 45's don't even have a half cock OR a blocking bar. So, beware.

I’m at a lost......

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Nope. Rule 1: Never point the gun at anyone or anything you are not willing or wanting to shoot. Or at least in a safe direction when handling. All other rules come after that one. Eventhe act of unloading can be disastrous if you ignore rule 1.

My statement was Rule #1 For Cleaning which should be easy enough for most to understand.

Top Bottom