Flying With a Handgun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    First time last week. Flew to Richmond and back on Southwest. Easy peasy. The ticket agent on both ends knew exactly what they were doing. They made sure my hard case was locked and never even opened it. I locked it to the metal runners for the handles using a flexible cable gun lock. Had ammo and loaded mags in a cardboard box. Everything locked with a TSA lock. TSA didn't open it or inspect it.

Will definitely do it again. Don't know how it is on Delta or the others.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Flew United from New Orleans to Cody Wyoming and back a couple weeks ago, no issues what so ever.
    I recommend not using TSA locks on your gun case. The firearm owner needs to be present for an inspection involving opening the case. Here again, the TSA rules don’t always match the specific airline rules.

Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    I flew SW with a shotgun last year and had no issues but they (TSA and SW) did open and inspect the gun in New Orleans and Denver. Going again next month so we will see. I did not use tsa locks.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've travelled with a firearm twice from New Orleans to Las Vegas on Southwestern with no issues other than making sure I got there a little early to check in at the counter and waiting up by the counter for my bag to get checked. I think on 1 of the 4 legs, the airline wanted to look in the case. The other times, they just put a new tag on it and let it go.

Flew United from New Orleans to Cody Wyoming and back a couple weeks ago, no issues what so ever.
    I recommend not using TSA locks on your gun case. The firearm owner needs to be present for an inspection involving opening the case. Here again, the TSA rules don’t always match the specific airline rules.

From the TSA website:
    "Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 a loaded firearm has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks."

TSA says their locks are acceptable but eludes to the fact they are not the preferred method.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have probably flown with a handgun a dozen times now. Always in a hard case, locked with a non-TSA padlock (Assa Abloy is my preferred), and o never have a problem.

Twice my bag missed a connecting flight, and the airline never wasted any time getting me my bag.

Mike

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Last time I printed out the TSA instructions the 'TSA locks' didn't apply to firearms. Did that change? I always print out the instructions for the agents just in case they don't know the rules.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    ive flown lots with a firearm(none within 5 years). more often than not my baggage was waiting in the claims pickup office, hand carried from the plane.

only issues i had was a tsa agent making a fuss because of the gun was in a kydex holster in the case, and wanted the holster in a separate bag, but not a carry on. i had to get his supervisor to intervene.

and found 3 boxes of .416 rigby at an estate sale, and was taking them home with me to give to a friend. they made a fuss because it was not pistol ammo and kept asking where the rifle was.

Top Bottom