im watching all these cop shootout videos. why cops don't wear gps trackers?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    No offense, but the cops in this city get paid pennies. They need a raise. They already work for the money and get berated for making a lot of overtime to make ends meet.

They're doing the job as best they can with the little support they have. They just need more money to make it.

Absolutely True!

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    um... as a taxpayer we're spending a lot of money on LEO's. We expect them to work for the money. We want neighborhoods patroled, not just them responding to patrols. Its hard work and long hours. That's why I vote for every increase that comes along. Having them spend an hour out of every shift doing police car 69 is not productive. If they want to chat, drive around, wave the flag, but use your cell phone or radio, not hiding in the back of a parking lot.

On the speed thing, i'm with you... someone told me that New Orleans enforces the redlight cameras for both LEO and ambulance services. That's nuts!

Lol, ok. Here we go with the “my taxes pay your salary” BS. I couldn’t tell you the last time I’ve seen a vote for a pay raise where I work. But I guess as long as you vote for a raise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    um... as a taxpayer we're spending a lot of money on LEO's. We expect them to work for the money. We want neighborhoods patroled, not just them responding to patrols. Its hard work and long hours. That's why I vote for every increase that comes along. Having them spend an hour out of every shift doing police car 69 is not productive. If they want to chat, drive around, wave the flag, but use your cell phone or radio, not hiding in the back of a parking lot.

On the speed thing, i'm with you... someone told me that New Orleans enforces the redlight cameras for both LEO and ambulance services. That's nuts!

Here's some numbers for you. Assuming half of the adults in Louisiana pay taxes, your contribution to the salary of a state employed officer making $50K/year equals about 2.8 cents/year. You would have to pay taxes for 35.7 years to have paid $1 toward law enforcement. Now Metairie is a bit different. With a smaller population, you kick in about 94.6 cents per your for a $50K salaried officer. That 20 minutes the officer took a break for cost you 1.5% of a penny ($0.00015). The officer would have to slack off for right under 22 hours to even cost you enough (1 cent) that he could repay your contribution.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Here's some numbers for you. Assuming half of the adults in Louisiana pay taxes, your contribution to the salary of a state employed officer making $50K/year equals about 2.8 cents/year. You would have to pay taxes for 35.7 years to have paid $1 toward law enforcement. Now Metairie is a bit different. With a smaller population, you kick in about 94.6 cents per your for a $50K salaried officer. That 20 minutes the officer took a break for cost you 1.5% of a penny ($0.00015). The officer would have to slack off for right under 22 hours to even cost you enough (1 cent) that he could repay your contribution.

I’ve warned you before about applying logic and common sense to stuff like this lol

WildBillKelso

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2015
    Northshore/New Orleans
    Some of the newer, digital police radios are gps enabled. But a city has to upgrade their communication from analog to be able to use the system. The older, analog radios still work on channels that can be patched into the digital channels but the radio overhaul will eventually include other agencies like the fire department and ems.

I think its the 8000 series Motorolas that have gps capabilities in digital. I believe everyone has to update to digital soon per FCC mandates. If so then it is just departments being cheap to not enable dispatch to track gps of these radios. And yeah, it can all be encrypted.

Last edited:

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I think its the 8000 series Motorolas that have gps capabilities in digital. I believe everyone has to update to digital soon per FCC mandates. If so then it is just departments being cheap to not enable dispatch to track gps of these radios. And yeah, it can all be encrypted.

My Motorola apx 6000li is 700 and 800 with GPS capability.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Nope. Ebrso is not having GPS enabled units.

The radios have GPS capability but they aren't buying the software for the foreseeable future to make it work.

Some of the EBRSO and BRPD radios are keying up with GPS information that shows up in my LRRP monitor. It's hardly consistent though and I've no idea what makes it happen, since I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be using 3rd party modules anyway.

But yes, the technology is definitely there and definitely *can* be a lifesaver...however keep in mind that GPS data from these radios may not be the highest accuracy, only locating down to the nearest 100m. In an apartment complex, that's the whole freaking block. Whereas saying a building number or other identifying information gets them help a lot faster.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Some of the EBRSO and BRPD radios are keying up with GPS information that shows up in my LRRP monitor. It's hardly consistent though and I've no idea what makes it happen, since I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be using 3rd party modules anyway.

But yes, the technology is definitely there and definitely *can* be a lifesaver...however keep in mind that GPS data from these radios may not be the highest accuracy, only locating down to the nearest 100m. In an apartment complex, that's the whole freaking block. Whereas saying a building number or other identifying information gets them help a lot faster.

It just depends on how the radio is programmed. Some may have their GPS activated but the communications divisions for Brpd and Ebrso don't have the computer software to track them.

We were told 380 yards for accuracy.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It just depends on how the radio is programmed. Some may have their GPS activated but the communications divisions for Brpd and Ebrso don't have the computer software to track them.

We were told 380 yards for accuracy.

That makes for a potentially interesting situation. It could be possible for the bad guys with the right equipment to know where the good guys are even though the good guys don't know where the good guys are.

But if the accuracy is 380 yards, that really doesn't matter too much. You may be sending out you are near the plane next to tiger stadium when you are really on the ramp at the PMAC. And in an emergency situation, that's a lot of area to search.

Suburbazine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    “Technically” GPS data is supposed to be transmitted encrypted, so when the radio is properly configured the bad guys will never see it. But many systems aren’t fully encrypted for a variety of money or compatibility issues. Plus the encryption can have data loss due to weak signal which causes distorted communications, whereas unencrypted can automatically correct damaged data.

The Motorola radios are supposed to have 8 channel GPS so 380yds should only be in the most extreme cases of poor acquisition. If unobstructed they should achieve 10m accuracy, up to 100m if degraded by structures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Nope, They don’t have the money. BRPD units are equipped with gps. The city was suppose to upgrade in car radios and portable radios but there is no funding for that either.

This is part of the reason they have no funding for IMPORTANT ****!
    iu

Suburbazine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    This is part of the reason they have no funding for IMPORTANT ****!
    iu

Shiny structurally unsound buildings don’t cost much, right?

Oh wait, that’s “worth much”.

Then there’s the free homeless charging stations added to the middle of North Blvd. One on every light pole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    In all seriousness, I am a staunch advocate for education. This project however, is completely stupid in the digital age.

In my mind, there is no way this library will be more effective at educating the citizens of Baton Rouge than just using the money it cost to buy everyone a kindle and a lifetime subscription to some good online book clubs.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    In all seriousness, I am a staunch advocate for education. This project however, is completely stupid in the digital age.

In my mind, there is no way this library will be more effective at educating the citizens of Baton Rouge than just using the money it cost to buy everyone a kindle and a lifetime subscription to some good online book clubs.

Not to derail this thread but have you been to the Goodwood Branch? From the outside, the building looks huge. Inside, it doesn't seem to be an efficient use of space. Oh, and I think they may have a couple of books in there.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA

Do you do your best work when left alone to get down to business, or when you have someone hovering over your shoulder micro-managing every task? Is your morale at work better when you get to know and socialize some with your co-workers, or when you are punished in an isolation box all by yourself? When's the last time you got behind the wheel and drove for twelve hours with one 30 minute and two 15 minute stops, and if it's not safe for truckers, why cops? Cops should fuss at others for driving distracted while on the phone, but then drive around on the phone because you want your nickel back?

My point was not "this will keep me from screwing off," it was that a good safety tool would almost certainly be turned into a morale-killing tool by desk jockeys. The two cars in "police car 69" could be a veteran officer helping a newbie fine-tune a report, or two guys reviewing the events of a recent call, or maybe they ARE just talking about fantasy football for a few minutes. On dayshift, that first stop for coffee and some breakfast together in the early hours may be the only slow time before everything breaks loose. That officer a few blocks across the line on the map may just be doing good police work following a suspicious vehicle. When your office is a car, that parking lot is the water cooler/break room. How much would you enjoy it if EVERY TIME you and another employee were at the water cooler or in the break room, some bosshole walked in and barked at you assuming you were just screwing off without knowing the circumstances?

And...police officers are taxpayers, too.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Do you do your best work when left alone to get down to business, or when you have someone hovering over your shoulder micro-managing every task? Is your morale at work better when you get to know and socialize some with your co-workers, or when you are punished in an isolation box all by yourself? When's the last time you got behind the wheel and drove for twelve hours with one 30 minute and two 15 minute stops, and if it's not safe for truckers, why cops? Cops should fuss at others for driving distracted while on the phone, but then drive around on the phone because you want your nickel back?

My point was not "this will keep me from screwing off," it was that a good safety tool would almost certainly be turned into a morale-killing tool by desk jockeys. The two cars in "police car 69" could be a veteran officer helping a newbie fine-tune a report, or two guys reviewing the events of a recent call, or maybe they ARE just talking about fantasy football for a few minutes. On dayshift, that first stop for coffee and some breakfast together in the early hours may be the only slow time before everything breaks loose. That officer a few blocks across the line on the map may just be doing good police work following a suspicious vehicle. When your office is a car, that parking lot is the water cooler/break room. How much would you enjoy it if EVERY TIME you and another employee were at the water cooler or in the break room, some bosshole walked in and barked at you assuming you were just screwing off without knowing the circumstances?

And...police officers are taxpayers, too.

Well said.

Top Bottom