im watching all these cop shootout videos. why cops don't wear gps trackers?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    i see them describing their location under a lot of stress. wouldn't a gps tracker be quicker?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Pretty sure some agencies have GPS beacons in their units.

I have a sheriff buddy up in northeast louisiana and they have gps enabled units. Their dispatcher has a big screen with a map of the parish and the location of the units. When a deputy needs backup or even on a routine (they're never routine) call or traffic stop, the dispatcher can send the closest unit to assist. That's great in a rural area when there may be 5-7 units spread across the parish and the closest backup can be miles away.

what about saying your gps coordinates?

Landmarks and street names are much easier to put across the radio than gps coordinates. To put the coordinates across the air, the cop needs to know the coordinates. If you think it's tough to describe landmarks under stress, imagine how tough it would be to take your eyes off the threat, read the coordinates off of whatever gps device it is, then call it out, correctly, to the dispatcher. In general, a person's mind can store and recall about 7 things in short term memory under good conditions. Phone numbers have 10 digits but people break them down into groups. And the area code is pretty easy because most of the time in Louisiana it is 318, 337, 504, or 225. That can be pulled from long term memory so you're left with a set of 3 digits and a set of 4 digits. With gps coordinates, you're looking at 14 digits broken into 6 groups with the degrees, minutes, and seconds format or 14 digits broken into 2 groups of 7 digits with the decimal degree format. Trying to store and recall or even read out those numbers would require too much attention focused somewhere other than the threat.

Some of the newer, digital police radios are gps enabled. But a city has to upgrade their communication from analog to be able to use the system. The older, analog radios still work on channels that can be patched into the digital channels but the radio overhaul will eventually include other agencies like the fire department and ems.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I can see where having a unit or even a belt mounted device could be hacked if it broadcasted constantly, but a burst occasionally would be hard to pin down. Either a button the officer could press on his mic or maybe dispatch could request?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I can see where having a unit or even a belt mounted device could be hacked if it broadcasted constantly, but a burst occasionally would be hard to pin down. Either a button the officer could press on his mic or maybe dispatch could request?

The red button is the emergency button on an analog radio. Some of the shoulder mics have the button as well. When I was with New Orleans, hitting the emergency button would shut down anyone currently broadcasting and open the mic in that radio for 5 seconds. The radio ID would display on the dispatcher's screen and on all the radios on that channel. The dispatcher kept a list of names and radio IDs. If the officer was on a call that went south, the dispatcher would (should) know where he was and could direct units to that area after the 5 second open mic. If SHTF with no warning, the 5 seconds gave the officer time to shout out where he was and what was going on without having to hold the transmit button down. The mics on those things were surprisingly good. I knew a sergeant who used to keep his radio on his belt with no shoulder mic. He'd key up with the radio still on his belt and talk normal and there were no issues hearing him.

I would hope with the gps enabled digital radios, if the radio wasn't continuously broadcasting the location, hitting the emergency button would send the location. And the radio signal can be encrypted. So any gps coordinate transmission could be encrypted while leaving the dispatch channels unencrypted.

IMG_9201.jpg

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Walker PD has been equipped with GPS in their units for years. Dispatcher can tell where every unit is at any time.

It's my understanding that BRPD is slowly doing this too per a database that I was shown recently. EBRSO as well if they haven't done it already.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    It's my understanding that BRPD is slowly doing this too per a database that I was shown recently. EBRSO as well if they haven't done it already.

Nope, They don’t have the money. BRPD units are equipped with gps. The city was suppose to upgrade in car radios and portable radios but there is no funding for that either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Nope, They don’t have the money. BRPD units are equipped with gps. The city was suppose to upgrade in car radios and portable radios but there is no funding for that either.

Didn't a BRPD Officer get busted a few years or so ago when some woman said he was doing something to her around Plank Rd.? And he said he wasn't anywhere close to that and his GPS busted him?

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Realtime GPS would have messed up some of the guys I knew at EBRSO years ago. Like supposed to be in Central and really being at the girlfriend's house in Zachary then giving bad 20's when asked.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Didn't a BRPD Officer get busted a few years or so ago when some woman said he was doing something to her around Plank Rd.? And he said he wasn't anywhere close to that and his GPS busted him?

No telling. I’m just a peon so I’m not privy to the details lol

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Every cop knows that for the sake of safety, that would be wonderful. Every cop knows that for the sake of sanity, that would be miserable. What I mean is, there are always those not in cars that would hover over the display asking why two units are next to each other in a parking lot for 20 minutes while not on a call, why two or three units are at the same coffee stop in the early hours, why a unit crossed some line by a few blocks, etc. It's my understanding that Kenner has, or at least used to have, a system like that, and their guys were always being questioned and bitched at about where they were at and why, and why so long, and why so many of them, and so on. I think a passive system would be great, where it could be queried like On-Star or like a cellphone gets "pinged," but something constantly giving your location would lead to lots of aggravation.

A neighboring jurisdiction used to have a set-up where the supervisor's cellphone got a text of mph whenever one of their units exceeded a certain speed such as in a pursuit. Every time you would get on the gas to turn after and catch up to a violator. No thanks.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Every cop knows that for the sake of safety, that would be wonderful. Every cop knows that for the sake of sanity, that would be miserable. What I mean is, there are always those not in cars that would hover over the display asking why two units are next to each other in a parking lot for 20 minutes while not on a call, why two or three units are at the same coffee stop in the early hours, why a unit crossed some line by a few blocks, etc. It's my understanding that Kenner has, or at least used to have, a system like that, and their guys were always being questioned and bitched at about where they were at and why, and why so long, and why so many of them, and so on. I think a passive system would be great, where it could be queried like On-Star or like a cellphone gets "pinged," but something constantly giving your location would lead to lots of aggravation.

um... as a taxpayer we're spending a lot of money on LEO's. We expect them to work for the money. We want neighborhoods patroled, not just them responding to patrols. Its hard work and long hours. That's why I vote for every increase that comes along. Having them spend an hour out of every shift doing police car 69 is not productive. If they want to chat, drive around, wave the flag, but use your cell phone or radio, not hiding in the back of a parking lot.

On the speed thing, i'm with you... someone told me that New Orleans enforces the redlight cameras for both LEO and ambulance services. That's nuts!

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge

Nope. Ebrso is not having GPS enabled units.

The radios have GPS capability but they aren't buying the software for the foreseeable future to make it work.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    um... as a taxpayer we're spending a lot of money on LEO's. We expect them to work for the money. We want neighborhoods patroled, not just them responding to patrols. Its hard work and long hours. That's why I vote for every increase that comes along. Having them spend an hour out of every shift doing police car 69 is not productive. If they want to chat, drive around, wave the flag, but use your cell phone or radio, not hiding in the back of a parking lot.

That's unreasonable. Look at the average job. Are you going to try to convince people that everyone is sitting at the desk or behind the counter with no breaks for 8 straight hours? It's not happening. And you're only hurting yourself by demanding, as a taxpayer, that the police do just that. Being alert and proactive at a level 8-10 out of 10 will only decrease the effectiveness over the length of a shift. Just like you take breaks at your job, the police take breaks. If they happen to take that break at the back of a parking lot, so be it.

On the speed thing, i'm with you... someone told me that New Orleans enforces the redlight cameras for both LEO and ambulance services. That's nuts!

When a red light/speed camera would come through, the civil penalty notification sheet goes through the chain of command and down to the officer. If the officer was on a call, they can fill out a sheet listing what call they were on. If they were not on a call or the call did not justify speeding or running a red light, like a report roll, the officer would have to pay the fine.

In order to avoid due process, the cash machines with a camera issue civil penalties, not actual tickets. Unless things have changed since I last looked at the ordinances a while back, the city could not report unpaid fines to a collection agency and the only means of recovering the made up debt would be to tow a vehicle if it were parked on a city street. The only means to fight the penalty is to report the car stolen. If you loan your car to someone, you are now responsible for the actions of another adult.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge

No offense, but the cops in this city get paid pennies. They need a raise. They already work for the money and get berated for making a lot of overtime to make ends meet.

They're doing the job as best they can with the little support they have. They just need more money to make it.

Top Bottom