Another reason to carry & questions for Livingston brainiacs. Gross pic warning!!!!!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    My coworker has vowed to open carry after his bicycle ride Saturday near Mandeville.
    He lives off of 1088 and was in his neighborhood minding his business when he felt a tuck on his leg. Needless to say it scared the crap out of him to see a full size dog with it's mouth wrapped around his leg. He was able to kick it away but swerved and ended up in the ditch when the dog latched onto his other leg. All he could do was kick and make a commotion to scare it off.

The short version is he found the owner who is from the Denham area visiting his parents. Off course the dog has never done anything like this before. It has had rabbies vaccination.

A report was written up with and there was a verbal agreement to pay for medical.
    It sounds like the dog owner painted a sad story. His parents have alzeimers/demetia? He lives on disability. Yada yada yada. My coworker suggested getting an attorney to handle an escrow account to cover medical expenses. Didn't gain traction there. There could be charges for violating the lease law but that doesn't accomplish much.

In an attempt to research the history on this dog is there animal control in Livinston and if yes, do they keep records?

We would like to know if the bitter has bitten before.
    before
    2018091820344410-imagejpeg_0-M.jpg

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Well that looks like it hurt a bit :/ How many stitches were needed?

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I don't see where Livingston had anything to do with this only that the guy lived in LP. Sounds like Mandeville dropped the ball. Was the dog taken in by Animal Control there? I'm in East Baton Rouge and my dog bit my sister inside my fenced yard and because he didn't have his rabies shot EBR Animal Control fined me and took my dog to be quarantined for 10 days.

Too bad he couldn't have shot that dog. Hope he's not hurt too bad.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    livingston animal control will refer you to the city police if in town or sheriff if out of town limits. they generally wont come to a dog bite scene with out police presence. neighbor had this issue when i lived off walker south rd.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Thanks for the info on how it is handled in Livingston P.
    The dog was not taken as the owner had proof of rabies vaccination.
    I'm not sure how many stitches but it was painful watching him replace a waterpump on a Ford Superduty 6.7 yesterday.
    FWIW the dog looked like a golden lab but is a mix with some Rottweiler.
    I don't think my tattoed coworker liked my joke about why scars are better than tattoes? Scars tell better stories!

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    A neighbor down the street had a dog that was known to snap at kids and adults. He kept the dog penned during the day but let it roam after about 9 PM when no one was likely to be out.
    As I was returning from a late run I saw the dog lying in the front yard. He didn't move or bark as I ran by but then I feel something pinch the back of my calf. The dog had snuck up behind me. I turned and he ran off. I had sweat pants on and he did more damage to the pants than me. I knocked on the neighbors door, told him what happened and showed him the pinch mark on my calf and torn sweat pants.
    Just so happens I live next door to a veterinarian's office. The next day I saw the owner taking the dog on a one way walk to the vet.

WildBillKelso

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2015
    Northshore/New Orleans
    Not to say one should not also carry a handgun; pepper spray works very well on canines and is very easy to carry at the ready while biking in athletic apparel. Carried it on my person everyday I rode the Tammany trace. Only had to draw it and aim once with a loose pitbull in the Lacombe area.

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Just think how he would have felt if he had a very intricate tattoo with a nice long scar threw the middle of it. Now that would hurt.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Well I'm happy to update that the dog owner did indeed meet my coworker and gave him $500.00 to cover bike damage, broken glasses, a missing riding glove and medical. Helps to restore my faith in humanity.

frhunter13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2018
    New Orleans
    A nice deadly Marine fighting knife would also have made short work of that mutt, without fear of stray bullets. Believe me, it works.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    When we lived in VA our neighbor had Standard Boxers that would get loose and terrorize the neighborhood. Luckily, the dogs recognized a pistol pointed at them as a threat and ran home once because I was a half second away from shooting them when they charged me on MY porch. Dog catcher was called, again, went to court, problem eliminated. The wife and I along with other neighbors showed for the case. They didn't stand a prayer.

Top Bottom