Stolen Valor??? Please comment......I'm bothered

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Evilsvt1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 15, 2014
    Lafayette, LA
    I served in the Army National Guard from Jan 22, 1993 until Jan 23, 2005. i was a 63T with the rank of an E-5.....technical positions in the LAANG rarely see rank. (Bradley systems technician). My units were E/co 2/156 in Ville Platte, LA, and A/CO 2/156 in Breaux bridge,LA. I was an attachment to those companies from the HHC in Abbeville, LA. I did spend a couple of years in a unit in Butler, PA....I believe it was A/CO 1/112th. I was too late for Desert Storm and due to a bulging disk, was deemed non deployable in 2004 and was not allowed to reenlist. I am proud of my service and proud of the men and women that served along side of me and every other brother and sister in arms. I have never tried to embellish my service accomplishments. I have a question though. Does stolen Valor apply to those who served but they speak in a capacity that they never were? Example. I was an E-5 technician. I was also combat lifesaver qualified. Never received an article 15 nor lost rank. Never had any disciplinary actions taken against me. That's it. that's my accomplishments. If I was to say.....I was airborne, or ranger, or SF, would that be considered stolen Valor? I think it is, but some may not.

Please comment and I will get more into it......

cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA
    Whether "Stolen Valor" or not, if someone said they were airborne/ranger and they were not, they are lying garbage! (profanity edited out)--No I'm not either, but proud to have served with real Airborne qualified and/or Rangers.

jsg34

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    Unethical? Yes. Cowardly? Yes. Illegal? Probably not, unless they are trying to obtain money or some tangible benefit. Not too much different from Louisiana's false personation (Impersonating a police officer) law. Some intent to defraud or obtain some special privilege is required.

Evilsvt1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 15, 2014
    Lafayette, LA
    Not so much worried about the legality, just the Blatant disrespect. He is a member on here also. I’m not going to call him out on it, but I know that most of the BS members are stand up guys and this just bothers me. I don’t even want the pistol I got in the trade because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    From the Forum Rules:

Rule 10: False Claims
    Many of our members are military veterans or law enforcement, and as such we have great respect for these communities. We have had issues in the past with users falsely claiming to have been members of these communities, and as such we will require anyone making said claims to provide proof of service. Failure to provide proof of service after making claims will result in an immediate ban of the user's account.
    Furthermore, this rule need not apply only to law enforcement or veterans. Anyone making claims that prove to be false that could potentially be detrimental to the forum or its user-base will be removed. An example is claiming to be a lawyer and issuing legal advice.

The rule on here talks about "communities". My interpretation is the military community is itself made up of different communities. Those communities have a hierarchy, in my opinion, based on a number of factors that may change given the context. I was a 21B Combat Engineer (12B depending on how long ago someone served). If I was with a group telling war stories and someone, know by me to be a mechanic, claimed he was a combat engineer, because he was attached to that unit, in order to lead people to believe he had done things "more exciting" than he had really done, I believe he is trying to portray himself as someone in a higher community. I'm not saying combat engineers are better than mechanics. I loved our mechanics. (Figuratively, not literally. I wasn't in the Navy.) They helped us out a lot. They eagerly did a bit of our "operator level maintenance" after our missions like changing tires or track treads so we could get some downtime after a 24 hour mission. Their reasoning was they didn't have to go get shot at so they were glad to help.

Now Airborne, Ranger, and SF are all part of the larger military community. Their mission is just a lot different than ours was. Our unit's callsign was Sapper because combat engineers are informally called sappers. But I feel it would be a case of stolen valor if I claimed I was a Sapper who went through Sapper school. I did not have a sapper tab. In a lot of contexts (like training standard, most missions, etc.), Sappers, Rangers, Airborne, and SF all sit on a higher hierarchy than combat engineers. The only reason I can think of to claim to be in one of the "higher" groups would be to get something, even if it's the recognition that comes from the impression people have when they think of those groups. To claim to be in one of the elite communities is to claim to have gone through the training and, in all likelihood, to claim that you have done things in real world missions you have not actually done.

I do not know who you are referring to. I cannot say I've seen someone claim to be a member of an elite community anywhere other than, perhaps, in their signature. I don't believe I've seen people boasting about their military experiences on here. You are welcome to PM me their information. I will look and see if they have publicly made such claims on here. If they have, I will ask them to provide proof of service. If they do, I will thank them for their time and service. If they do not, I will ban them.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Man, let me tell you years ago on glocktalk they confronted a guy who said he was Special Forces, wore the uniform and appropriate insignias and posted pics of such on the forum, but turned out not to be. He was Army but not SF. They shamed him to no end then banned his ass. Also reported him to federal or military authorities.

People who publicly misrepresent themselves as US military, or members of our elite combat teams are just dishonest scumbags, plain and simple.

Evilsvt1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 15, 2014
    Lafayette, LA
    It’s not that he misrepresented any thing on the boards, nor did he misrepresent anything with the weapon. I actually found his weapon on a different site, but he is a member here. His story sounded really good but he was way too quick to divulge information that I should not have known. Most SF guys won’t tell you that’s what they are. I have an uncle who was a Green Beret, I have a friend who went to buds and didn’t make it, but he is never talked about it. From my experience most of the special forces guys don’t brag about what they’ve done. They don’t even let you know that they are special forces. It’s just something That bothered me all day. More insulted and disrespected than anything. I did a Google search for his name and The MOS he claimed and I found some pretty interesting information. Two years ago someone called him out for doing the same thing. It’s the exact same story he told me. These guys provided military records to back up their claims.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    It’s not that he misrepresented any thing on the boards, nor did he misrepresent anything with the weapon. I actually found his weapon on a different site, but he is a member here. His story sounded really good but he was way too quick to divulge information that I should not have known. Most SF guys won’t tell you that’s what they are. I have an uncle who was a Green Beret, I have a friend who went to buds and didn’t make it, but he is never talked about it. From my experience most of the special forces guys don’t brag about what they’ve done. They don’t even let you know that they are special forces. It’s just something That bothered me all day. More insulted and disrespected than anything. I did a Google search for his name and The MOS he claimed and I found some pretty interesting information. Two years ago someone called him out for doing the same thing. It’s the exact same story he told me. These guys provided military records to back up their claims.

What MOS did he claim?

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Disabled USN E-4 Diesel Engineman, 3 years active duty during peacetime, Honorable discharge before my reserve time was up due to medical (physical) issues.

I DESPISE those who claim to have served and didn't or who claim awards and deeds they never earned/did. I may not have done anything spectacular, other than trash my knee, but I am proud to have volunteered to serve just after Nam ended and I graduated High School (April, 1976).

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I was never in the military, but I can tell you that it would be political and social suicide in the private sector to claim that one was, say, a Vice President of something-or-other when one had only actually earned the title of Manager. If I knew that someone had lied on a resume, I would throw it in the garbage without a second thought. And if I knew one of my friends was lying like this ... I'd be rethinking that friendship.

I know that "stolen valor" has a certain legal meaning and I can't comment on that ... but I don't have time in my life for liars, whether they were in the military or the private sector or otherwise.

Mike

Hermit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2007
    Ascension
    Creepy Richard Blumenthal lied about serving in Viet Nam and got elected to the US Senate.

Evilsvt1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 15, 2014
    Lafayette, LA
    So this guy is STILL posing as an SF Vet. Un****ingbelievable. He posts on Louisiana Sportsman as SOLDIER18D.

He says that he is enjoying life after serving 22 years. Here is a link to all that is interested and you might recognize him. He needs to be brought to justice.

https://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=64871

This is not my research. All I did was type his name in google search and it popped up. We need to make him famous. I really wish he would prove me wrong and I'd humbly and publicly apologize. I just dont see that happening.

Last edited:

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    The only way to get reduced to E1 and kicked out in the same orders are to get an OTH (other than honerable) it's the worst adminstrative discharge you can get. Strips you of most benefits. More than likely if he mobilized was sent home then got that was drugs.. Drugs will get you an OTH quick.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom