Person decapitated at Nola raceway

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Car was roll caged, parachuted, etc.... the car was a 2010 Nissan GTR built specifically for this event. He crossed the line at
    216MPH, when he pulled the handle for the chute, the cable popped, he panicked and stood on the brake pedal, due to lack of space after the line for "cool off". when he got on the brake pedal, the car got sideways, back wheel clipped the grass and bit, and that was it. Car started to roll and tumble. Basically, he had enough time to think to himself, "****, this is gonna hurt." He was going for the record of Fastest Nissan in America.

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    That sucks, didn't notice the parachute while watching the vid on my phone, but I see it now when I look at it on my laptop.

If you read the comments, there's a lot of talk about the poor track conditions, but ultimately stopping a car at 200mph with not a lot of space left to go is difficult.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Yep.... Track wasn't ready for cars to hit that speed. Not to mention, at 200+, the last thing you do is apply brake pedal. That's a death sentence on its own. I've been 180+ in undisclosed locations, and had to leave enough room for the car to simply coast back down to 140-150 just to be able to very lightly apply pressure to brakes....

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    The dead guy's name is Jeff Hagaman from NC, he has a FB page. All the races at NOLA Motorsports have been terminated for this event.

jcm055

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Ruston LA
    I hate that, not just for him and his family but for NMSP as well. That track can't catch a break and I'd really hate to see it fold.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I hate that, not just for him and his family but for NMSP as well. That track can't catch a break and I'd really hate to see it fold.

Doesn’t exactly sound like the track deserves a break. Apparently the track was not designed nor maintained properly for this kind of event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Doesn’t exactly sound like the track deserves a break. Apparently the track was not designed nor maintained properly for this kind of event.

I agree every time something happened there they say it just is having growing pains

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Once the ambulance chasers do their thing heads are gonna roll.

Suits me... My work has an account with them for their tires and alignments on the super cars that they run. They do their own work on the cars, then bring them to us for alignments. 90% of the time, we have to send them back because something isn't right. If the track is prepped as well as the cars are, I say, Lord help anyone that races there.

jcm055

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Ruston LA

I agree every time something happened there they say it just is having growing pains

I'm more alluding to the issues they faced with Indy Car when it came a flood followed by a suit from IRL.

The main straight is 3200', and goes beyond that nearly another 2000' I believe (haven't been on the big track, just the autoX pad and kart track). Many other half mile and roll racing events are held with similar run off. This was just a freak accident, the product of a series of unfortunate events. I think the required safety equipment for these events needs to be tightened up. Most newer cars don't have cages because modern cars have very solid crash protection (so much so NHRA changed the roll cage requirement from 11.49 to 9.99 for cars made 2008+). That said, there's no way I would go that fast without a full roll cage...and it may have to come to that for vehicles over a certain mph.

I've been a car guy much longer than a gun guy so I would really hate to see the only real road course in the state go under. I've known some of the instructors and they're good people, and the facility hosts some great events.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Once the ambulance chasers do their thing heads are gonna roll.

You can best believe anybody who operates/races a motor vehicle on Nola Motorsports property has signed a release of liability and NOLA has those on file. Anybody can file a lawsuit, doesn't mean they will prevail.

Short of proving gross or willful negligence on the part of Nola Motorsports, litigants pertaining to this matter would be wasting their time and resources.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I’m sorry for the man and his family. Very tragic event. I’m not a racer or have ever been to that track but I would think someone with that type of car would know if the track was sufficient for his run? I was at Gulfport years ago and a pro-stock car ran and wiped out. Guy was banged up pretty bad. It’s a dangerous activity going 200+ hopefully younger whipper-snappers will learn from this before suffering the same fate.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    i rode the track on a few bike days in 2012. it was a very rough track back then, not that good for bikes.
    havent been to any actual events or races tho. sucks for dude and family.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    You can best believe anybody who operates/races a motor vehicle on Nola Motorsports property has signed a release of liability and NOLA has those on file. Anybody can file a lawsuit, doesn't mean they will prevail.

Short of proving gross or willful negligence on the part of Nola Motorsports, litigants pertaining to this matter would be wasting their time and resources.

I think the track is not at fault and won't be found to be at fault. Ultimately the driver had participated in several similar events and that will be the key, along with the promoter having put on similar events. The fact the GTR was modified will also be a key factor as well. Too easy to argue his mods or mechanical failure was at fault. I am of the mind that personnel responsibility still matters. Before I'd start assigning blame I would like to get some facts & evidence nailed down, not hearsay. I'd start with some actual numbers on track length and uncut video. Without knowing anything it would be a safe assumption to suspect the seat and belt mounting failed, based on that has been a factor in the past at high levels of motorsport and what is seen at low levels of motorsports. I have never seen a racetrack that didn't have rough spots either. Abandoned airstrips can have some pretty bad expansion joints too. Accidents happen.
    None of this changes that a man is dead and his family and friends have a loss to deal with. For us it is not personnel. For those involved it is very much so. I also know some of the people @ NOLA and am sure they aren't uncaring about peoples lives, on a business or personnel level.

Top Bottom